Does EB3 get the start against Portland State?

Eagles football Discussion
InferNoMercy

Re: Does EB3 get the start against Portland State?

Post by InferNoMercy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 am

Best said on coaches show Gage will start this week.

Palm Springs Eag

Post by Palm Springs Eag » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am

Depth chart is up for PSU on goeags.com
McPherson and Dorton both injured/out for this game.

http://goeags.com/documents/2017/8/28/1 ... HCHART.pdf

EdubU10

Post by EdubU10 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 pm

That sucks. Especially for McPherson who has been one of the more consistent guys on offense all year.

60s Savage

Post by 60s Savage » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Coach Best has stated that Gage Gubrud will start the PSU game and I support that 100%. I do believe that somewhere during this game that EB3 will also receive some of the additional playing opportunities he earned against UND. Although The Eags put only 21 points on the board, it could have easily been 27 or 35 because we were there, denied six attempts at the goal line, suffered a missed FG and then the blocked FG. However, the successful drives were there. Mention of the six failures brings up a question. Not criticizing the coaching or play calling, but curious, why the four players in the backfield formations? Split Tee's been gone a long time; a Split Tee backfield with a QB Shotgun formation doesn't compute for me, and didn't yield any Eagle points last Saturday. Help me. How was that formation Xed and Oed to succeed?

Note: I think The Eagles squeeze into the playoffs. GO EAGS!

Screamin_Eagle174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

EdubU10 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:42 pm
That sucks. Especially for McPherson who has been one of the more consistent guys on offense all year.
Dorton has been huge in the return game, giving us good field position and a TD. Both are big losses.

kalm

Post by kalm » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:50 am

60s Savage wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:34 pm
Coach Best has stated that Gage Gubrud will start the PSU game and I support that 100%. I do believe that somewhere during this game that EB3 will also receive some of the additional playing opportunities he earned against UND. Although The Eags put only 21 points on the board, it could have easily been 27 or 35 because we were there, denied six attempts at the goal line, suffered a missed FG and then the blocked FG. However, the successful drives were there. Mention of the six failures brings up a question. Not criticizing the coaching or play calling, but curious, why the four players in the backfield formations? Split Tee's been gone a long time; a Split Tee backfield with a QB Shotgun formation doesn't compute for me, and didn't yield any Eagle points last Saturday. Help me. How was that formation Xed and Oed to succeed?

Note: I think The Eagles squeeze into the playoffs. GO EAGS!
Great question. Dopa has pointed that out in other threads, especially when you need a yard and you're handing it to a back that's 7 yards deep. It doesn't seem to work except when the QB keeps like on EB's TD. But it seems like the QB has been stuffed more often than not from that formation as well.

clawman

Post by clawman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 am

Would it be an interesting wrinkle to run EB3 as wildcat QB?
And or EB3 more rpo
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

EWU98

Post by EWU98 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:35 am

clawman wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 am
Would it be an interesting wrinkle to run EB3 as wildcat QB?
And or EB3 more rpo
I think that is something for next year, but you definitely run the risk of hurting one of them and ticking off your running backs.