• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

#12 UCD at #14 WSU

Oldrunner I agree with chex Hill is a loyal person which is great except when it comes to letting coaches go who can't get the job done. I have seen enough of Hammer and I remember the old days also I would not want to go back to that although will Hill I don't think that will happen

Chex said:
oldrunner said:
Sasy; all I'm saying is that we are only seeing 20% of what is going on with the team and that coach Hill is seeing 100%. I have a strong feeling that he will make the right choices. Right now is just not the right time. Right now, they need to get the most out of what they have. We have at least 7 games to go. Get first things done first. As a fan, I just want to enjoy the process. I'm trying hard not to get too high with the wins or too low with the losses. I can still remember trying to enjoy those 2-9 seasons, not too long ago. :coffee:

No doubt, all us fans have become a little spoiled by success. Hill has kind of become a victim of his own success, but I would think he would be the first to say it is good to have high expectations and to constantly strive to improve.

I remember the 1-10 year and 2-10 years and basically enjoying the fall colors on the mountain and enjoying the kettle corn as there wasn’t much on the field to get excited about.

I think Hill is extremely loyal to his staff…and that can be a weakness. I mean say if I won the lottery, and I certainly hope I do, and could hire a chauffeur…and say said chauffeur kept showing up drunk to work and ran the car with me in it to a few ditches, cars, or fire hydrants. I could keep handing him the keys and get in the back seat and hope things get better and improve. I could think to myself that maybe he needs to get a feel for the car and a little more driving experience…or I could think, yep, clearly he is not capable of getting from point A to point B safely and get a new chauffeur as soon as possible.

Yes, it’s a rough analogy…and most hires, I don’t think fall into the incapable category, but I think Schramm didn’t and Hammer clearly isn’t going to get the job done and they both have had plenty of time to improve…maybe they are not on the drunk level, but just sleep-deprived and like to check their cell phone and text while driving.

Anyway, I don’t think you procrastinate improvement that can be made immediately.

Hoping Hammer can turn it around and lead the most prolific offense in FCS…because Hill will most likely keep him until he leaves on his own terms. Meanwhile drive safe, wear your seat belt and keep an eye out on the roads. :lol:
Chex;

I have a lot of respect for your analysis and opinions. Let me use another analogy to explain my point of view. If you are the captain of a river boat and you hit turbulent waters, that may not be the time to start throwing your lead crew members overboard. A leader like coach hill is thoughtful in everything he does. I'm positive that he will do the right things with our program. It's frustrating, but we are not dealing with NFL coaches, officials, or players. I used to think very similar to the way several posters, on this board, do. I've worked hard to become more contemplative and analytical in my approach to almost everything. :coffee:

oldrunner said:
Chex said:
oldrunner said:
Sasy; all I'm saying is that we are only seeing 20% of what is going on with the team and that coach Hill is seeing 100%. I have a strong feeling that he will make the right choices. Right now is just not the right time. Right now, they need to get the most out of what they have. We have at least 7 games to go. Get first things done first. As a fan, I just want to enjoy the process. I'm trying hard not to get too high with the wins or too low with the losses. I can still remember trying to enjoy those 2-9 seasons, not too long ago. :coffee:

No doubt, all us fans have become a little spoiled by success. Hill has kind of become a victim of his own success, but I would think he would be the first to say it is good to have high expectations and to constantly strive to improve.

I remember the 1-10 year and 2-10 years and basically enjoying the fall colors on the mountain and enjoying the kettle corn as there wasn’t much on the field to get excited about.

I think Hill is extremely loyal to his staff…and that can be a weakness. I mean say if I won the lottery, and I certainly hope I do, and could hire a chauffeur…and say said chauffeur kept showing up drunk to work and ran the car with me in it to a few ditches, cars, or fire hydrants. I could keep handing him the keys and get in the back seat and hope things get better and improve. I could think to myself that maybe he needs to get a feel for the car and a little more driving experience…or I could think, yep, clearly he is not capable of getting from point A to point B safely and get a new chauffeur as soon as possible.

Yes, it’s a rough analogy…and most hires, I don’t think fall into the incapable category, but I think Schramm didn’t and Hammer clearly isn’t going to get the job done and they both have had plenty of time to improve…maybe they are not on the drunk level, but just sleep-deprived and like to check their cell phone and text while driving.

Anyway, I don’t think you procrastinate improvement that can be made immediately.

Hoping Hammer can turn it around and lead the most prolific offense in FCS…because Hill will most likely keep him until he leaves on his own terms. Meanwhile drive safe, wear your seat belt and keep an eye out on the roads. :lol:
Chex;

I have a lot of respect for your analysis and opinions. Let me use another analogy to explain my point of view. If you are the captain of a river boat and you hit turbulent waters, that may not be the time to start throwing your lead crew members overboard. A leader like coach hill is thoughtful in everything he does. I'm positive that he will do the right things with our program. It's frustrating, but we are not dealing with NFL coaches, officials, or players. I used to think very similar to the way several posters, on this board, do. I've worked hard to become more contemplative and analytical in my approach to almost everything. :coffee:

I can certainly respect that opinion. The reality is if not for a few screwed up calls, Weber State would still be in a great position to challenge for the title or a share. I guess we should all be used to the level of officiating and know what the team has to deal with.

Objectively looking at the teams, I think Weber State hasn’t kept up with some teams in the conference…not by a long way. A bit more talent on the lines and better QB play is all that is needed. I just don’t see it happening with Hammer.

Montana State changed OC coordinator early one year, and they ended up going to the semifinals. I think if a move was made to replace Schramm, an FCS title was possible. I think this year could still make a chance at running the table and a playoff run.

We will see. I certainly hope Barron develops fast and becomes top level soon, and Hammer gets the O going with better execution.

The dividing line is razor thin, We all saw that in Spring where WSU could have been 1-4 vs 5-0, had a few plays gone differently.

The turnovers have to be eliminated and the level of play has to be at its best for the next two games. It’s possible, but this team hasn’t had a complete game in a while.

I’m hoping they get it going and will be there to cheer them on regardless.

I feel that Barron is the real deal, but he is young in the process. The same can be said of our O line. Like you said, it's a razor thin line. I feel that our coaches are trying to develop depth in those positions, but it is harder and taking longer than they thought it would. With the way injuries are happening these days, you need to be more than two deep at those key positions. When your best QB is a freshman and the next guy is a sophomore, The third guy better be damb good. Chances are good that you will be getting down to the third guy at a few key positions. It's not just us. This is happening all over the place.

Our D has been good, but there is still room for improvement there as well.

Play calling is better now than in the past. Could it be better? Surely. However, we would all be saying how great it has been, if there had been a little better execution. We are not that far off. A player here or there, better execution here or there, different plays here or there. Perfection may not be attainable, but you strive for it anyway.

I'm confident that our coaches are seeing everything we are, and more. We just got a commitment from a 3 star QB. We need to follow that up with some top notch linemen and a few more skill personnel. If coaches change in the off season, then they change. There is never a guarantee that you will end up with something better. It could even go south. :coffee:

Linemen are like centers in basketball. Sure every high school has a number of them, but good linemen at the HS level do translate as easily to college as skill positions or even defense. Getting good linemen is extremely difficult. I think the line is good. I know our line work their butts off and I feel our OL coach is one of the best at our level. Finding the talent is hard. These guys need to know the plays as well as the QB, understand defenses, be prepared to work together as a team and hit every single play. There is no time off during the game for the OL. Every team in the United States is looking for linemen who are fast, tall, strong, and smart. Guys who are tough and can hit. In Utah, right now, there might only be 25 DI linemen across the entire state who can play immediately. Most of thee guys we are taking are projects we are taking a chance on. Hoping they will take that ever elusive "next" step.

UCD is doing a great job of surviving and winning in the 4th quarter. Yes, our offense was anemic and missed a handful of chances to put points on the board. That in and of itself was the reason why we lost that game. We had two chances to kick field goals and elected to go for it on 4th down, fumbling one away and calling a headscratcher on the other. Gotta score more than 14 to win games, especially against good teams. I will be the first to say that we totally got screwed over by the refs. They literally gave UCD 10 points and the win, but the offensive play calling was really suspect. HOWEVER, Weber did not have its starter in and went to its 3rd string QB in the second half. No matter, it was a bad loss, but as long as UCD keeps winning our loss looks good. If we happen to go 6-5 losing to teams that are all good and have seeds will help us get into the playoffs and maybe a home game on Thanksgiving weekend.

Latest posts

Back