• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

2019 Baseball

SDHornet

Staff member
Wanted to post about baseball last week but I didn’t want to jinx their big winning streak. The Hornets got off to a slow start but have since won 13 of their last 15 including a win over 3rd ranked UCLA on the road and most recently a spanking of Cal 6-0 last night.

The Hornets are 16-8 (2-1 WAC) heading into the 2nd week of WAC play. Most of those wins came at home, so the big test will be whether or not this young team can consistently win on the road.

SDHornet said:
Wanted to post about baseball last week but I didn’t want to jinx their big winning streak. The Hornets got off to a slow start but have since won 13 of their last 15 including a win over 3rd ranked UCLA on the road and most recently a spanking of Cal 6-0 last night.

The Hornets are 16-8 (2-1 WAC) heading into the 2nd week of WAC play. Most of those wins came at home, so the big test will be whether or not this young team can consistently win on the road.

Our baseball team (a long with the track & field team both men and women side) are the two extremely consistent programs for our University and I love it! (I know golf, tennis (even though there were some NCAA violations http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/sacramento-state-failed-monitor-tennis-program recently and softball) might have something to say about that but that's a conversation for another time. I think baseball is really apparent where being in the Big West would really help our cause. CS Fullerton (national powerhouse), UC Irvine, UCSB, and LBSU are all regional powers. If any of those squads has the 18-9 record (even though it wasn't in-conference play) with a win over now #1 UCLA, I think they would be getting top 25 rankings votes easily but since we're in the WAC, we're not getting much love in these rankings...

what's everyone takes on this? :coffee:

GreenArmySwarm said:
SDHornet said:

Our baseball team (a long with the track & field team both men and women side) are the two extremely consistent programs for our University and I love it! (I know golf, tennis (even though there were some NCAA violations http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/sacramento-state-failed-monitor-tennis-program recently and softball) might have something to say about that but that's a conversation for another time. I think baseball is really apparent where being in the Big West would really help our cause. CS Fullerton (national powerhouse), UC Irvine, UCSB, and LBSU are all regional powers. If any of those squads has the 18-9 record (even though it wasn't in-conference play) with a win over now #1 UCLA, I think they would be getting top 25 rankings votes easily but since we're in the WAC, we're not getting much love in these rankings...

what's everyone takes on this? :coffee:

BW would be great for baseball (and other sports), but until the FB question is answered I don't see any reason for athletics to find a new home. Also with the recent add of Bako and UCSD, I don't see the BW expanding unless they lose members, and depending on who leaves the BW might not be very attractive at that point.

Baseball still staying strong. The Hornets (26-13, 12-3 WAC) just swept inept Chicago State and are a game atop NMSU and UTRGV in the WAC. After a midweek game at Cal, NMSU comes to town this weekend. This series will likely determine if the Hornets can win the WAC regular season crown. NMSU is one of the top hitting teams in D1 so it will be a tough series.

Hornets got smoked at Cal and then drop 2 of 3 at the John to NMSU. The Hornet pitching did well enough to win 2 of th 3 games, unfortunately in today's game the Hornets couldn't get it done at the plate when it mattered most.

UTRGV is now in 1st in the WAC and they face off with NMSU for the top spot next week. If the Hornets take care of business there is still a shot they can win the WAC regular season crown.

Hornets finish the season 33-22 (18-9 WAC) and enter the WACT as the 3rd seed. Hornets would have won the regular season title had they not faltered at UVU last week. There was a 3 way tie for the WAC regular season title (NMSU, UTGRV, and newcomer CBU).

CBU is not eligible for post-season play until their transition into D1 is complete so they will not play in the WACT. Not much separating the top 4 seeds this year.

The WACT starts May 22 and the Hornets play UVU at 6 PM MST.

https://wacsports.com/tournaments/bsb/2018-19/index

Hornets lose the opening round game to UVU then go on a historic tear and win 6 straight and eliminate every single team in the tournament. Something this epic will likely never happen again. Hornets are the 2019 WAC Tournament Champs!!!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Wednesday, 5/22: 4-2 loss to Utah Valley

Thursday, 5/23: 7-3 win over CSU Bakersfield

Friday, 5/24 Game 1: 6-2 win over UT Rio Grande Valley

Friday, 5/24 Game 2: 6-4 win over Utah Valley

Saturday, 5/25 Game 1: 6-4 win over New Mexico State

Saturday, 5/25 Game 2: 4-3 win over Grand Canyon

Sunday, 5/26: 5-4 win over Grand Canyon

[media]https://twitter.com/SacStBaseball/status/1132767808343777281[/media]

[media]https://twitter.com/PrezNelsen/status/1132774574184001536[/media]

Great turnaround by the Hornets. Slow play at end of year and battled for the WAC Championship beating every team. Way to regroup! Awesome series.

Congrats to our Hornets today in the NCAA tourney taking down the Big West champion and #19 ranked UC Santa Barbara Gauchos

40th win of the season for our Hornets.

Very proud.

Go Sac State

and

Stingers up

josephpoint said:
Congrats to our Hornets today in the NCAA tourney taking down the Big West champion and #19 ranked UC Santa Barbara Gauchos

40th win of the season for our Hornets.

Very proud.

Go Sac State

and

Stingers up

:nod: :clap:

Baseball season comes to an end in the Stanford Regional and the Hornets finish with a 40-25 (18-9) record. Hornets went 7-1 in elimination games this post season and won their first Regional game since 2014. Scrappy and resilient team, most of whom will return next season. Hell of a run, hell of a season.

Friday, 5/31: 11-0 loss to Stanford

Saturday, 6/1: 6-4 win, eliminated UCSB

Sunday, 6/2: 12-3 loss to Stanford

Sac Bee article this past weekend...at least now they finally take notice.
https://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article231084513.html

Latest posts

Back