• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Bengal Soccer To Colorado

isusuperfan

OK, what can we expect from the team this time? The freshman are making a solid impact on the team so far; I've got a great feeling about this group. But first things first. Even though I have a great feeling about these guys, it's still very early in the season. How do you all think we'll handle Air Force and a deceptively powerful Colorado College? I think if we play as hard as we did last Friday, we should be fine. No more slow starts, though. Gotta start and end powerfully.

What can we look for? Bengal fans! Assemble and debate! (I watched Anchorman the other night, bwahahahahaha)

We should handle Air Force with little difficulty. True, they are a Mountain West Conference team (ranked as high as the 5th toughest soccer conference) and they did have very close one goal losses to both Colorado and Northern Colorado. Still, the way we are playing right now, I predict a 2-0 or 3-0 win for ISU. This should be a great warmup for Colorado College.

Colorado College is different story. They handled Oklahoma easily (3-1) and know they must win the next 4-5 games to earn a spot in the top 20. ISU stands like a bump in the road in their quest. They know they have to beat us and they will throw all that they have at the Bengals. In contrast, if we beat CC, we might suddenly become a blip on the national radar. It will be a tremendously tough challenge for the Bengals, but we can prevail. We have shown up well against tougher teams. Colorado College was ranked 74th in the nation at the end of last year. ISU was ranked 121 out of 315 teams, but we had tied #90 Sac State, #53 Gonzaga, #44 Cal State Fullerton, and #27 Washington State, plus lost by only one goal to #39 Arizona State and #30 Utah (in double OT.) And I honestly believe this Bengal team is far ahead of last year's squad. Given the ISU propensity to bring our "A-game" to the tough outings, I am going out on a limb and predicting ISU on top 3-2. Hopefully, Air Force will give us the momentum and confidence we need to beat CC. (It would really help to have not lost top-scorer Jana Boehler for this game - so the rest of the team, including our talented new freshmen, will have to step up their games to make up for her loss.)

By the way, the team will be looking for some scorers to rise to the top of the heap over the next two weeks. I was told the other day, and then confirmed it... The top career scorers on the team are Jana Boehler (junior forward) and Kiley Quigley (senior midfielder,) each with six career goals. Third place belongs to a young woman who is not only just a sophomore, but who also plays as a central defender: Karissa Henage. Beyond her, no other player on the team has scored more than one goal in their career, but one of those is now freshman Ashley Askwig. I would expect (and hope) that by the end of the season, a least five or six players will have passed Henage in career scoring. Let's make this a year of great offense.

You mean ISU career.?
There is at least one JC player that has scored more than six goals in a collegiate career on the team.
And I know she throws a nice somersault toss as well.

GO BENGALS!!! in Colorado.

This will be an interesting year as pointed out with the JC players like Miller who is the Rock of the defense and showed it against USU and Munro who hads significant experience and dimension to the team. The Fresmen showed they can play , THERE WILL BE ROUGH PATCHES and the Colorado Collage game will be a great test. The Oklahoma team got caught off gaurd but the high pressure of the CC is going to be an issue for ISU defense. On the offensive side they will find their way and it will take a while. With some of the veterans bring the best out of the youngers and visa versa, new speed and any offensive thrown in is now like a corner they are setting up to be a competitive team this year and as long as the coach can keep them together be significant in years to come. :D

Bengal Believer - You are correct. I am talking about ISU career goals. We have 3 JC transfers on the team that probably have goals from their JC career (however, the other two besides Munro were both defenders.)

Also, I would agree that Miller was the defensive star of the game on Friday. In fact, I think the Big Sky should have given her Defensive Player of the Week rather than Harrison. However, I would not go so far as to claim that she is "the rock" of the defense. Both Hough and Henage earned defensive starting positions over Miller last year, and Hough was newcomer of the year. As far as I am concerned, all four of the defenders were almost flawless last week, and except for a little lapse of attention from our star "Defensive Player of the Week," ISU would have had a shutout and won the game in regulation time.

The coach was clear in her post game interview that Miller was the rock
Sorry your daughter didnt get the vote. A Bengal did and we should all be proud of that.

Given that our Defense remains as stout as it has been the past 2 years, we should be fine for CC. We just need a goal or two and hold CC scoreless. High pressure offenses are hard to break, but it can be done. JUST GET PHYSICAL!!! Knock them around and intimidate them. Hit their high pressure O with our high pressure D. Wear them down!!!

ISU North-

Again, no argument that Katie Miller was "the rock" of the defense on Friday. In fact, I would probably go so far as to name her the Player of the Week. Not only was she rock solid on defense in both games, she had one of the best passes of the week up the sideline for her assist on Friday, plus had a powerful goal on Wednesday. The only other player that I think rivaled her performance was freshmen Ashley Askwig, who scored in both games. But Miller was the most consistent performer on the field in both games and has established herself as a key defender. I was just concerned from your first statement that you were claiming she the key to our defensive success this coming year, and just wanted to point out that there are several extremely talented defenders who will yet assert themselves at crucial moments throughout the coming season. In the meantime, hats off to Miller for a fabulous week and I hope she continues to show that level of performance for the entire season. No jealousy here... I hope we see them all play up to their potential and see the group succeed as a team.

I'm just glad someone listened to the postgame interview...I figured my rambling for almost 2 1/2 hours straight would have just driven folks from the radio screaming in agony LOL.

ISUSID

Latest posts

Back