• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Dixie State, WAC Eyeing FCS

SLCBengal

KSL and other outlets reported last week that Dixie State (St. George, UT) is considering a move to NCAA Division I. In its study, it also revealed the WAC is considering sponsoring an FCS conference...

The Trailblazer’s move to Division I is contingent on a membership offer from a Division I conference, meeting the sports participation minimum, a $1.7 million application fee, and a feasibility study and Division I strategic plan submitted to the NCAA. Schools generally transition to Division I over a four-year period to obtain full membership status, though exceptions have been made.

The study also indicates that the WAC may be interested in sponsoring football as an FCS conference.

"The WAC has confirmed to Collegiate Consulting it is initiating a study in the fall of 2018 to explore the options and opportunities of starting an FCS football conference," the report reads.

Read more: KSL: Dixie State considering jump to NCAA Division I, with eyes on the WAC

This will be very interesting to see over the next few years. Should the WAC sponsor an FCS conference, what teams out here would they try to nab? There aren't many FCS football programs out west, but there are a lot of potential move-ups from the D2 ranks in California and Oregon. Do you think they would try to raid a few BigSky programs to stabilize their pet project? And if they're not able to sponsor an FCS league, does Dixie State join up in the BigSky to give SUU a natural rival? There's a lot of possibilities.

Latest posts

Back