• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

EWU vs. Idaho Game Day Thread

Obzerver said:
Just got back from game. A great crowd and like having the students center of visitor side. It should look better on tv. Imagine they make that move to generate more $$ selling those reserve seats at top dollar. more money selling those prime seats.
Today the luck fell on Idaho. 1) That long pass called a catch was not. Even the player knows he never had, he was pissed he missed it. 2) We get a td and give up an 85 or whatever kick return to a guy who already had shown he can return kicks. Guess that wasn't luck but a special teams mistake by not kicking off with a squib or even out of bounds against the wind. 3) Having that miss-snap pinning them on the 8 yard line and 4th and 45 then a personal foul dead ball call giving them a first down and they drive for td ..had we recovered that would have given us an edge on getting a result.
Missing your starting QB and having that be a winnable game impressed me vs a very good Idaho team. That was fun watching Taylor and Wortham do their thing and do it well was really something as was watching Idaho's secondary...they were good or maybe just didn't have someone able to hit our WR's.

Crowd was great, that was a bonus.

Everything you said is on point. Gifting them a free TD at the end of the first half on an absurd call was devastating. Taking a lead and then gifting them a monster kickoff return was equally devastating. Then the dumb-ass (and correct) personal foul when they had 4th down and needed to get to Airway Heights for a first down pretty much killed whatever momentum we could muster.

I thought our offense, by and large, played fine given our limitations. The thing that befuddled me was that we clearly couldn't throw the ball, but it felt like that's mostly what we wanted to do in the second half. The rudimentary style of snap to your QB in let him have a run/pass option was working just fine, and yet we seeemd to abandon it late in the game. We should've just kept plugging away doing the same thing that was working in the first half. Idaho realized throwing wasn't working and went to a 100% commitment to running the ball. The Romano kid that ran for 120+ hadn't gone above 41 yards in a game all season until we played them.

I thought we needed to keep that Woods RB in check, and we certainly didn't. Take away that massive loss on the bad snap, and he's close to 200 yards--- and was one of 2 guys that ran for more than 100 yards. They just overwhelmed our defense physically, and that's hard to look at. I didn't think we quit and kept trying until the end, but we MUST get more beefy on defense. It feels like the same Achilles Heel of rushing defense makes it so we can't get over the hump against great FCS opponents.

Listened to the game with Larry and Paul "dumbshit" Sorenson... Terrible game to only hear because of the ref'ing and awful run defense... Let's say seeing is believing. Really thought Idaho might juggernaut the Eags and looking at the rushing stats it might feel that way, but the Eags kept fighting and made a game of it. Not sure the coaches put the players in position to win all the time but so many little breakdowns it's impossible to pinpoint one thing specifically.

Couple of things once I had a chance to watch the replay: (not all encompassing)

1. Wortham is FUN
2. Ref's sucked all day... Idaho specialized in holding all day allowing Woods etc to run wild, Idaho D constantly had their hands in the OL faces and every call that could have gone either direction went against Eagles IMO.
3. D couldn't tackle anyone and they seemed to spin the how to f*** up wheel on each play to diversify the other issues the whole game.
4. I thought Taylor looked mostly poised, threw several away instead of taking sacks, ran well, missed a couple of throws but took care of the ball.
5. second half adjustments.... weren't.
6. Where was Jackson??? His shiftiness would have made Taylor's job easier. Tuna does a good job blocking.
7. So many breakdowns by Eags.
8. OL was NOT good on any reach block and got beat way to often (not just the 4th and 1 debacle)
9. Coaching was hit and miss.
10. Did anyone mention how bad the tackling was? Sheesh.
11. Idaho was just more physical overall.

luckyintheorder said:
Listened to the game with Larry and Paul "dumbshit" Sorenson... Terrible game to only hear because of the ref'ing and awful run defense... Let's say seeing is believing. Really thought Idaho might juggernaut the Eags and looking at the rushing stats it might feel that way, but the Eags kept fighting and made a game of it. Not sure the coaches put the players in position to win all the time but so many little breakdowns it's impossible to pinpoint one thing specifically.

Couple of things once I had a chance to watch the replay: (not all encompassing)

1. Wortham is FUN
2. Ref's sucked all day... Idaho specialized in holding all day allowing Woods etc to run wild, Idaho D constantly had their hands in the OL faces and every call that could have gone either direction went against Eagles IMO.
3. D couldn't tackle anyone and they seemed to spin the how to f*** up wheel on each play to diversify the other issues the whole game.
4. I thought Taylor looked mostly poised, threw several away instead of taking sacks, ran well, missed a couple of throws but took care of the ball.
5. second half adjustments.... weren't.
6. Where was Jackson??? His shiftiness would have made Taylor's job easier. Tuna does a good job blocking.
7. So many breakdowns by Eags.
8. OL was NOT good on any reach block and got beat way to often (not just the 4th and 1 debacle)
9. Coaching was hit and miss.
10. Did anyone mention how bad the tackling was? Sheesh.
11. Idaho was just more physical overall.

Yeah to everything you wrote. As it relates to Taylor, I thought he did his best. If Eric Barriere had his mentality, we might have won the national championship. I love it when QBs sell out on the run and just take off when the opportunity presents itself. If the throw is too difficult, bust your ass upfield. He did that repeatedly. I appreciate his dedication to the craft. His effort didn't deserve a loss on his opener. However, he def needs to get better at finding viable throws to make. Effort was beyond reprodach, but QB skills were a bit dicey.

luckyintheorder said:
Forgot it was a bye week. Big improvement comng against bengals in 2 weeks. Isu doesn't suk. Should be fun one

Looks like it's a bye week for all but 6 schools. Didn't realize that ISU also had one. I guess them not knowing who to prepare for in terms of Qbs is a bonus.

Latest posts

Back