• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Game #2: Bengals vs. Hawaii

sweller

From the Honolulu Star-Bulletin newspaper:
-------------------------------------------------------
Hawaii Coach Bob Nash has had two years to bring in the type of post players he believes are best suited to the Rainbow Warriors' ideal up-and-down style of play. Speed and agility are prized just as much, if not more than brute strength down low.

As a sign of the times, the Rainbows have no true center this year. But several mobile forwards - BillAmis, Petras Balocka, Paul Campbell, Brandon Adams and Ji Xiang - man the frontcourt and are expected to run the floor just as hard as Hawaii's guards and wings.

While last year's team (in Nash's first year as head coach) was at times caught between two generations of players, the Hawaii coaches now hope they have the personnel to match their preferred style.

In the halfcourt, Nash counts on the Rainbows' big men to keep the flex-motion offense moving. Crisp passes and screens at specific spots on the floor are required to keep things from stalling out.

It starts with Amis, a 6-foot-9, 220-pound junior and the team's lone returning starter. The lean lefty entered the program as a quiet sophomore under the tutelage of seven seniors, but now has shouldered some of the leadership vacated by their absence. "He's a guy who can spread the floor with his jump shot, has a nice touch around the basket, a smart player," the coach said. "Probably needs to rebound a little bit better, but has shown this year more desire to go get the boards."

The coaches have also been pleased with the progress made by Campbell, who saw limited minutes last year. Strength and ball-catching were concerns after his sophomore season but the 6-10, 215-pound Canadian has made strides in both areas. Shot-blocking and offensive rebounding remain his calling cards.

"He had a knack for being around missed shots and keeping them alive on the board," said assistant Larry Farmer, who works with the bigs. "I think for us, this year, we need that and more."

Hawaii paired newcomer Balocka with Amis in the frontcourt in both exhibition games, and the Lithuanian responded by scoring in double figures each time. The 6-8 Balocka, who averaged a double-double at Pensacola (Fla.) Junior College, is the heaviest player on the team (250) and also the strongest in terms of lower-body strength. He also has a soft touch around the basket with either hand and moves surprisingly quick. "I think when it's all said and done, he will be one of the better big men that have played in our program," said Nash.

The wild card right now is explosive 6-7 JC transfer Brandon Adams, who has a 41-inch vertical and could be one of the most athletic players in the program's history. He awaits paperwork clearance after it was initially thought he would redshirt this season, but both Adams and his coaches want him to play.

"He can run, he jumps, he's coachable," Nash said. "He's everything you would want in a player. He's unafraid, he battles, he's a good outside shooter. He's relentless on the backboard and I think he's one of those guys who's just gonna get better and better and better. He's by far one of the more gifted athletes that we've had in our program."

Balocka and Ji both were accustomed to playing small forward before arriving in the U.S. While Balocka had high school and college experience playing the post in the states, the 6-10, 240-pound Ji only started playing inside this year. The native of China missed his first season with the Rainbows because of a torn ACL.

Ji, who has 3-point range, will be called upon as a deep reserve behind Adams and Campbell. "It'll take me a while to be a big man, I'm coming back to being a big guy," Ji said. "I'm not really good at the post moves, but I'm getting there. I'll work my (butt) off."

20081111_b1-uh-hoops.jpg

They've got a couple of stud transfers. Here's a good YouTube preview of Hawaii's 2008-09 squad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWN6c4Mxi-Y

Roderick Flemings, 6-7, 210 lbs, played his freshman season at Oklahoma State:
IMG_1893.JPG

High School: Flemings was named first-team All-State in Class 5A by the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches, and was ranked the No. 12 player in the country in the Class of 2005 by Prep Roundball. That ranking trailed only fellow Okie State signee Gerald Green in the state of Texas. Bob Gibbons had him ranked as the No. 24 player nationally. Flemings led his team to the Class 5A state finals his senior season. Flemings competed in several tournaments during the summer of 2004, and was ranked as the second-best wing forward at the NBA Players Association Top 100 Camp in Richmond, Va. He led all campers in scoring at that elite event. He was also recruited by Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma, and received interest from all the Big 12 schools.

Brandon Adams, 6-7, 220 lbs, juco transfer:
IMG_1908.JPG

The San Ramon, Calif., native led Diablo Valley College in scoring (13.4 ppg), rebounding (7.1 rpg), blocked shots (1.5 bpg) and field goal percentage (.564) last season. Hawaii coach Bob Nash: "We're getting an exceptional student-athlete in Brandon. On the court he's an absolute warrior. He's an incredible athlete and a high-energy guy who never takes a play off. More importantly, he's an outstanding person. I'm certain he'll be a fan favorite."

Nice work, Sweller! This will be a good test for our Bengals, and every game from now on just gets tougher and tougher. O'Brien knows how to get a team ready for league play, that's for sure!

Can we go .500 in the non-conference? That would be acceptable to me, given the difficulty of our schedule.

Then we kick butt in league play and win the Big Sky! :mrgreen:

I didn't realize Larry Farmer is an assistant with Hawaii. I was sorry he didn't stay at Weber longer... ;)

FYI: Future ISU opponent, Utah, lost its opening game last night to Division II Southwest Baptist, 80-79.

If ISU went .500 in non-conference, it would be a great thing, but it's highly unlikely. The Bengals will be underdogs in at least 8 of their next 10 games, and could possibly be underdogs against both Long Beach State (who has given both BYU and Wisconsin great games before losing) and at Wisconsin Green Bay, which would mean ISU could conceivably go 1-10 before they play Idaho. I'm all for tough non-conference schedules, but I think the Bengals bit off a little bit more than they can chew this year. Bringing in BYU, Utah and Utah State looks like a great thing for the fans, but it might have been better for the team's psyche to bring in a few more winnable games instead.

Skippy, what are the weaknesses in this year's team that make you so pessimistic?

Guard play?

Big play?

Depth?

Coaching?

At this point its chemistry. The new guys don't look like they are familiar with either the offense or the defense. That is to be expected in November. It may take a while for this team to set. I think there is talent enough and coaching is fine.

I'm not thinking of ISU weaknesses as much as I'm thinking of the schedule the Bengals are playing. Take a look at the next 11 games:

--At Hawaii--very few road teams win here. The Bows were not very good last year, but they have obviously improved their talent level. A winnable game, yes, but winning on the Islands is never easy.

--At Boise State--The Broncos have lost four starters from last year's WAC championships, so this is a winnable game. But the Bengals have won one of their last 14 games in Boise. Doable-- but will ISU be favored? No.

--BYU at Holt. Cougars, one of the pre-season favorites to win the Mountain West, will be an 8 to 10 point favorite in this game.

--Long Beach State at home. The 49ers lost at BYU by 10, after leading by 7 at half, and at Wisconsin by five or six after being tied with a minute and a half to go. They are a much-improved team. ISU can definitely win this game, but they will have to play at a very high level to do so.

--At Wazzu--The Cougars return only two starters from last year's team, but they will still be favored to win, especially in Pullman.

--Utah at Holt--Losing to Southwest Baptist at home definitely won't make Jim Boylen's life any easier, but the Utes have five more games to get it together before they play ISU,and they return all five starters from a decent 18-15 team last year. Utah will be favored, but this does appear to be winnable.

--At Wisconsin. The Badgers, defending Big 10 champs, are young and rebuilding,but they have Marcus Landry,defending MOP in the Big 10 tourney, and are 108-7 in the Kohl Center. They will be 10-15 point favorites.

--At Wisconsin Green Bay--The Phoenix return five starters from a 15-15 team and will likely be slight favorites over the Bengals at home.

--Utah State at Holt. The Aggies are rebuilding somewhat, having lost three starters from last year, but they have a physical front line, Stew Morrill is a great coach, and ISU has lost the last nine meetings between these schools, going back to 1981. USU will definitely be favored.

--At Arizona State. The Sun Devils return five starters from a 21-13 team, obviously they will be favored.

--At Nevada. Reno has only two starters back, but the Wolfpack bring in a 7-0 foot center who was rated one of the top 25 players in the country last year. They will be favored at home.

So you have a few winnable games on this schedule but every game is going to require a top effort by ISU to be competitive. If they get some breaks and play well, I can see the Bengals winning a max of three of the next ten. If worse comes to worst, well I don't want to think about that.

--

Of those ten games. I think ISU could win 6 or 7 of those games. Its not like their is a UClA on the schedule... The guys can be in every game. ASU and Wisconsin will be the toughest..

Hawaii lost to CS-Fullerton tonight, 90-76. Fullerton is coming off a 24-9 season in which they won the Big West Conference and qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

Roderick Flemings led the way for the Warriors with 21 points, but the team overall had 18 turnovers.

Hawaii has now lost its last 9 regular season games dating back to last season.

We have GOT to win this game... They should be tired, and down... If we can play good D and not turn the ball over more than 18 times, I think we'll win...

It is 3am right now. ISU looks very solid. I know it is still early in the season yet but i can't wait until we start gelling and the chemistry shows. Watch Out! The coaches are hangin loose in the island shirts and the uni's are sweet. You to Frank, nice shirt. I am VERY VERY impressed with the team so far and we are leading at half. Nice pick up on Kal Bay. He is lagit. GO BENGALS!

Latest posts

Back