• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

More Volleyball

votb

I agree with the other thread about the improvement of the Bengal VB team. And now they're down one really good player, lost to an injury. You know what the funniest part of the whole thing is? Coach Teichert could build a VB dynasty here, and some people would still deride Jeff Tingey for the hire, proving their malice is just that. The following story was in today's ISJ...

ISU Volleyball Deserves Kudos

Entering this season, the Idaho State volleyball team had to replace its leader in kills, assists and digs.

The Bengals were coming off a 6-23 campaign that included an abysmal 2-14 record in Big Sky play, with the two wins coming against a Montana State team that didn't beat anyone in league competition.

Coach Mike Welch stepped down at the end of that 2007 campaign, and the university didn't fill the position until well after Idaho State had completed its spring practices under former associate head coach Mika Robinson. She then left soon after to take over at NAIA Berry College in Mount Berry, Ga.
The program looked to be in total disarray when Chad Teichert took over May 8. At the news conference announcing his hiring, players expressed relief that they finally had a coach more than joy over the selection.

Yes, if ever a first-year coach entered an inaugural season with zero expectations, this was it.
Yet a funny thing happened between that May afternoon and today. The Bengals have become the top fall program at Idaho State, and Teichert, his staff and the players deserve much credit.

On Saturday, the Bengals beat traditional conference power Sacramento State for the first time since 2004 and for only the third time in program history. The victory gave the team its first four-match winning streak since 2003, and with two weekends remaining in the regular season, Idaho State sits only two games out of sixth place and the final league tournament spot.
Still, Teichert, the man who breathed life into the program, isn't ready to celebrate.

"A four-match winning streak is nothing to write home about," he said after swatting the Hornets. "But it's great for these kids."
Teichert, remember, is the man who guided three separate Wyoming high schools to 10 state championships in a 16-year stretch while compiling an .827 winning percentage. He's accustomed to winning and won't accept anything less.

From the first day with the Bengals, he had his players return to the basics of volleyball, as he had them repeatedly practice fundamentals like passing and setting.
While the team endured separate seven- and five-match losing skids early in the year, Teichert wouldn't accept moral victories of playing a tough team to four sets or only losing by a few points.

Eventually, the players started believing they can win every match, and it's shown on the court. The Bengals have won six of their last nine matches, and they'll enter a road swing this weekend to Northern Colorado and Northern Arizona -- two teams ahead of Idaho State in the league standings -- expecting to win.
"We just have faith in each other now," said junior Ashlyn McDowell. "We know we can do it."

To be sure, Idaho State's 9-17 overall record and 4-8 Big Sky mark are, in Teichert's words, nothing to write home about.
The Bengals are still in eighth place in the nine-team conference. The early struggles can't be erased by stringing together a few wins at the end of the year, and Teichert still must show he can recruit and keep from stumbling over the millions of NCAA regulations no high school or club coach has to worry about.

It's far too early to declare Teichert a success.
However, considering the state of the program when he took over and the severe obstacles the team faced this season, Teichert has shown he can coach.

And for bringing a little hope to an otherwise dismal fall sports season at Idaho State, the volleyball team deserves kudos.

Tim Flagstad's column appears Mondays. With comments or story ideas,

contact him at 239-3124 or by e-mail at [email protected].

Wow, a volleyball power! 2 games from SIXTH place! And votb doing handstands! has ISU athletics really sunk so low that this is the best fall program? Oh sorry, was that malice? Or just the TRUTH!

Look expokygrad...

Since you're so f***ing high and mighty and all-knowing, why don't YOU get into administration?! Seems like you're better qualified than the people you're practically crucifying.

Volleyball is beginning to gel and show some signs of progress. Teichert has the correct idea; one I thought you'd agree with:

No moral victories. I love that; we can't afford it anymore. Judging by your posts, I thought you'd be more agreeable to that philosophy. Apparently not.

Spartan is right, you're a troll. Yes, we've had problems. We'll take care of it ourselves, thank you very much. Now screw off

I can't figure out why the moderators here just don't kick pokygrad off this board completely, or move his crap to the smack board. He has absolutely nothing good to say about ISU, he's a chronic liar, he knows absolutely nothing about athletics, and he's well hated by everybody here. Come on moderators, why don't you think about kicking him out of here!

Personally, I love it!It's kind of like fishing...knowing that if you get that fly or piece of bait in just the right spot, something is going to take it.

Volleyball finished last season at 6-23, 2-14 in the Big Sky. This year the Bengal's are 9-17 overall and 4-8 in league play. That's real IMPROVEMENT. It's a good thing to see a program improve.

There's no need for any of us who support ISU to waste our time trying to put down those like expokygrad when they post the things they do, as they tell us all we need to know about them every time they post. At least if I'm guilty of anything, it's of trying to keep a positive attitude and help a program grow. Hate and bitterness are heavy weights to carry, and I wish them the best in shedding the load the best way possible. It's a very hard thing to live life trying to "get even" with someone or an organization that you feel has done you wrong. I've been there...and it's not a pretty place to be. I wish them well...but that doesn't mean I have to drink the kool-aid they're offering.

GO BENGALS!

Latest posts

Back