• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

New Head Coaching List

Blofeld said:
Still no rumors about this? It's either more secretive than the Manhattan Project or nobody cares... :lol:

Brady Hull (1310 am) said he's heard D.C. Scott Darnell (no thanks, our defense was horrible this year) as well as Matt Lubick (not sure how I feel about this one). Not sure about any others. Aaron Rath mentioned candidates are still being interviewed on campus this week.

No way on Darnell. That would be disastrous. Lubick is interesting. I am thinking a few candidates might still be in playoffs and can’t talk .

beardevil39 said:
No way on Darnell. That would be disastrous. Lubick is interesting. I am thinking a few candidates might still be in playoffs and can’t talk .

I would prefer someone who has done it before as a head coach. I don't mind if they come from RMAC or DII, I just want someone with experience.

MT fan here. I still think you guys could do far worse than Bob Stitt. Maybe he's too old or no longer interested, but he turned a Mines program around that hadn't won a conf. title since 1958. He had bad luck with QB injuries at MT, and his offense is all about having a good QB. He would have made the playoffs and been renewed after his 3rd year if the KY QB he'd recruited and developed hadn't done down with a serious leg injury early in the season. He also proved to be an adept recruiter, as many of the good Griz players of the past several years were recruited by him...

If they hire Darnell that would be the least inspiring and laziest hire in history... the old shitty DC from a losing regime hired as HC...

Stitt is too much a "me" guy with a gimmick offense. Heck, UNC beat a Stitt-lead Montana team not that long ago.
Darnell is well respected by the players, but again...the defense was pathetic. I'm not sure how you hire a guy like that.

I like the coach at Mines. They're playing in the semi-finals this weekend, and really they've had the most success out of any team in the entire state. That's a tough place to recruit with the high academic standards, and granted D2 is not the same as when the old NCC powers were around, I think it would be a good solid hire. Nothing like CU and coach "Prime" but tbh that's not what we need.

Beardown said:
Stitt is too much a "me" guy with a gimmick offense. Heck, UNC beat a Stitt-lead Montana team not that long ago.
Darnell is well respected by the players, but again...the defense was pathetic. I'm not sure how you hire a guy like that.

I like the coach at Mines. They're playing in the semi-finals this weekend, and really they've had the most success out of any team in the entire state. That's a tough place to recruit with the high academic standards, and granted D2 is not the same as when the old NCC powers were around, I think it would be a good solid hire. Nothing like CU and coach "Prime" but tbh that's not what we need.

I get that Stitt isn't the most new and exciting candidate, and maybe he's not even interested. But just to dispel a few things:
1) His offense was pretty consistently ranked top 10 in the nation at any level where he coached. It's true that it featured a lot of passing and screens, but it was productive.
2) The game you mentioned (which I watched) was a tough 3-point loss for the Griz, but if you look at the box score we outgained you in yards something like 400 - 250. Your RB had a great day. I mentioned Stitt constantly had injuries at QB while at MT, and it was a backup QB that day. I remember him missing a TD toss to an open receiver that I could have made (painful memory etched into my mind). Also, I don't think you guys were terrible that year...
3) I think Mines just got a new coach. It's true that Stitt's successor kicked butt while there, but he apparently just retired. It bears repeating, though, that Stitt has to be credited with turning the Mines program around. They hadn't won a conf. title since '58 before Stitt.

In the end, I supported bringing Bobby Hauck and his .800 Big Sky winning percentage back to MT. How could i not? But I do think that Stitt has been the victim of some bad luck and quite frankly, almost what I'd call bias against him. Even with the QB injuries, he still had 3 winning seasons at MT. And MT was down 4 scholarships during much of that time due to NCAA sanctions that occurred before Stitt. I guess Stitt has a personality that rubs some the wrong way. But I do know Joe Glenn had some nice things to say about him when MT hired him.

Latest posts

Back