• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Soccer Countdown 7 - Katie Miller

soccerfanatic

Now that I have profiled the returning players who who started the majority of games last season, I turn my attention to those who receved significant playing time last year, but were not regular starters. I had a hard time deciding where to start, but decided to start with Katie Miller since she is a senior this year and is using her final year of eligibility because she came in as a JC transfer last year.

Katie Miller

I believe that Katie Miller would have easily been a starter for most of last year had it not been for one major obstacle: Jill Christofferson. Christofferson was one of the most gifted defenders in the Big Sky (1st team All Conference last year and 2nd team all conference in her junior year.) Miller played backup to Christofferson, but Christofferson played more minutes than any other Bengal last year. Coach Gibson would sneak Miller into the games occassionally. When she did, Miller's defensive strength was obvious.

Despite the role as a backup defender, Miller played in a total of 12 games, and started two games late in the season when Natalie Graham went down with an injury. Over those games, Miller played primarily in the midfield and as defensive wing since Christofferson and Karissa Henage had the central defense well covered.

During spring ball, Miller had the chance to start with with Henage at center D. She is rock solid at that position, works well with Henage, understands Coach Gibson's defensive scheme, and appears to be Coach's pick to fill the vacancy left by the departing Christofferson. Together, Henage and Miller shut down Boise State and worked together well to hold of the Alumni team.

Miller possesses the physical strength to body up with any player in the conference. Further, she has now spent a year mastering Coach Gibson's defensive system and Miller has the maturity to excel on the field. She also appears to have developed a strong chemistry with the other defenders. Look for Miller to play a key role in what should again be the best defense in the conference.

Latest posts

Back