• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Soccer Preview - Let the Fun Begin

soccerfanatic

ONLY 24 HOURS TO THE START OF THE FIRST GAME!!!

This is when it gets really fun: trying to second-guess the coach before the game.

Before I share my opinions on what we should expect to see tomorrow, let me point out a few things:
1. I don’t know the returning players near as well as the coaching staff.
2. I have only seen a few of the incoming players in action, and never on the college level.
3. I do not know what kind of shape the individual players were in when they got to camp or how hard they have worked.
4. I don’t claim to have anywhere near the coaching or soccer expertise of Coach Gibson and her staff.
5. This is only for fun.

Now that I have told you that I don’t know what I am talking about, let me share where I would put the players on the field tomorrow and what I expect to see Coach Gibson do.

I think Coach will want to take a look at every player on the team tomorrow. Winning is not important. This game counts for nothing. In fact, many teams don’t even use a clock and don’t report the scores for these games. This is just a glorified two-team practice where the public is invited. The team will want to win and they should handle Northern Nazarene pretty easily, but that will not be the coaching staff’s primary goal. They want to see every player in a game situation.

I know the fans will be looking for future stars, but I hope this does not go to the girl’s heads. We desperately need team players, not solo superstars. I hope we see team players who execute well and within Coach’s game plan.

As for who will start the game… I think Coach will follow her plan from last year: start only the returning players. This takes the pressure off of who gets to be a starter. Plus, it helps those who do not start to realize that it is not because the coach questions their ability or readiness. Coach will just be experimenting to find the right combination for Friday’s first real game. Also, the season starts so quickly that it will take some time for the dust to settle. Last year, Coach did not really settle into her line-up until about the seventh game.

Keeper: Given her experience, I expect to see Kat Ford start the game. Since Coach is still looking for her starting keeper, I would guess that each of the three healthy keepers will see about 30 minutes of action. I am really excited to see Michelle Harrison play for the first time, after having read so much about her. And although I don’t know much about Bailey Williams, I hear she is extremely athletic. Word I have gotten from camp is that all three players are much more evenly matched than many had expected. I think the battle for the keeper position is definitely still going.

Defense: I expect to see Coach start Henage & Miller in the middle, with Hough and Beseris on the outside. Once the game gets going, Coach will probably move a few players into defense, particularly on the wings. I am pretty sure that we will see Kacey Ball and Benecia Brogan get quite a bit of playing time in the back, as well as potentially Ashley Askwig and Noelle Sanders. I also expect to see Coach try to move up Hough to give her a shot at offense.

Midfield: Expect Quigley, Hofstetter and Joyner to start. Coach has a stable of new mid-fielders to try out. I know Sanders has the size and talent to be a solid mid-fielder and I am excited to see how Jen Munro looks at the position. Askwig will probably also get some time at midfield. Her playing style reminds me a lot of Quigley.

Forwards: Coach only shows three forwards on the roster, but know she will be using a lot of players listed as mid-fielders up top as well. Expect to see Powell, Ryan and Davis-Boehler to start. We will also get to see Alex Hansen as a forward as well as probably Megan Stainbrook and Ellen Larson. I also think it is likely to see Joyner and maybe even Hough get some up front experience.

Come out and see the Bengals in action. The game is at awkward time: 11:00 am, But the admission will be free and it will give you a great chance to welcome the new players. SEE YOU THERE!!!

Oh yes! I've waited 4 long months...speculating, lifting weights (so I look good in chest paint...no seriously, I will be wearing the chest paint), catching up with the coaches, going to scrimmages and stuff...finally, after 4 agonizing months, I can go to war once more...the drums beating and the yells and all the emotions and craziness and wackiness that is college sports.

I will see you tomorrow, soccerfanatic!!!

I-D-A-H-O-S-T-A-T-E!!! ROLL STATE ROLL!

Hey Fanatic, what about the preview on the remaining players on the team?
You gonna write something up?
I like what you have done.

Remember, the game is on KISU 91.1 FM, and that's available at the website for free....starts at 11:00 am.

ISUSID

Latest posts

Back