• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.

Soccer Recruits

Great catch, SLCBengal!!! And exciting news. She looks like she will be a great addition to the team. Since signing day is today, hopefully we will hear of several more soon. I'll keep my eyes open for more.

I read the Modesto Bee article on Oliveira, and several others. Another great one is at http://www.turlockjournal.com/news/article/2789/

If there is a #1 need for the Bengals, it is a scorer. If Oliveira can find the net 5-10 times next year, it could make a tremendous difference for the team. We haven't had a Golden Boot winner on this team since 2002. A forward who draws attention from the defense would turn things around. Right now, none of our 6 forwards has averaged more than two goals per year; and one has been a starter for two years and has yet to put up her first goal. (In contrast, Ashley Jones put up five goals as a freshman from midfield.) In fact, right now, the player with the second most career goals is our sweeper on defense. But, put someone with Oliveira's talent and experience on the front line with help from Ashley Jones, Lauren Ryan, Laura Perez, Megan Steinbrook and Rachel Strawn, we could be leading the Sky in goals for the first time in many, many years.

musterofrohan.jpg

The Rohirrim approve :)

Seriously, fantastic news on the recruiting front! Welcome to ISU, Oliveira!

FANTASTIC!!! Looks like a spectacular recruiting class. All ten players look strong, but several are real standouts. Oliveira (who we already talked about) is definately the most exciting recruit. But Kiley Godfrey and Allyson Stainbrook should also have an immediate positive impact on offense. Most teams would be lucky to get one of these players... getting all three is amazing.

Plus, we have at least two great defensive picks in Ashley May and Olivia Zabka, with Tara Bia as a potential start here as well. Since we are losing Beseris and Ball to graduation, these players could really help shore up the defense and allow the coaches to play around with how they place Hough and Henage-Fisher. It kind of surprizes me that we have not landed a keeper. Kat Ford is in her final year and has not had much experience on the field, and Bailey Williams gets hit hard frequently and is always playing black and blue. (Plus, Bailey did not have a great year last year and could probably use a challenge to push her to pick up her game. Competition always helps. She sure did a great job her freshman year rising to the challenge when fighting for a spot among 4 keepers.)

Of course, it is nearly impossible to predict how a player will do when faced for the first time with the challenges of both the college-level play and college life. Two years ago, I was the most excited about the addition of Michelle Harrison and did not think Bailey Williams would ever see playing time. We still have five strong players from that class and Harrison is gone. Similarly, last year, I did not anticipate that Morgan Olsen would make much of a contribution... but she ended up playing more minutes than any freshman other than AJ (Ashley Jones.) Point is, it is nearly impossible to predict how everyone will fall into place, and I am probably wrong more than i am right. Several of the freshman who I have not mentioned could turn out to be real stars as well. It is hard when there is so little information about them. Coach has seen them all and seems to see potential in all of them.

The other exciting thing about next year is the returning class. For the past three years, we have had mass defections after the season, several usually before spring ball. This year, I am not aware of any key players who have decided to leave the team. Plus, we should see two to three top contributors back who were sidelined last year with health issues: Taylor Powell, Benecia Brogan, and Ashley Askwig. (Our prayers are with Skwig as she tries to battle back through some tremendous physical trials.)

Further, I think Coach Gibson is still looking at a few players. It would not surprize me to see a couple of late signings and maybe a transfer or two.

As I look at the roster for next year, I see 18 players who I believe have a legitimate chance of claiming one of the ten starting positions for field players, and several others who could earn a great deal of playing time. (I assume Bailey has the keeper spot tied up.) Plus, we have enough strong veterans to fully staff the field (and then some) without the incoming freshmen stars. In comparison, going into last year, I only counted 11 players with a shot at starting and three of those were freshmen. Not only is the depth of talent exciting, but also the fact that the players can help each other, push each other, and even scrimmage together should lead to a huge improvement this year.

Go Bengals! I can't wait until August. Thank goodness for spring ball.

Again, the Rohirrim approve :) This is going to be fun. I mean, FUN :D I'm more stoked for ISU soccer than I am for Ohio State football this coming year (seriously)

I don't know how I missed giving more attention to Tara Bice in my last posting. It came to my attention that Tara was the 8th ranked prep recruit in the Rocky Mountain Region by Top Drawer Soccer (the premiere player ranking service for college coaches.) The Rocky Mountain region covers ten states, including the soccer powerhouse states of Arizona, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Nevada. This is a strong region who has consistantly placed a player in the top 5 in the country, including this year's #2 ranked pick from Utah.

Not only did Tara make the top 20 in the region, she did so as a defender. It seems the top spots most frequently go to either scorers or keepers. Her regional ranking would indicate that she would be a top 150 nationally, probably in the top 30 for defenders. This probably makes Tara Bice the highest ranked recruit in ISU history.

So out of the ten recruits, ISU has two ranked in the top 20 in their regions: Tara Bice ranked 8th in the Rocky Mountains and Donya Oliveira ranked 13th in Northern California. The news just keeps getting better and better.

Latest posts

Back