Eagles football Discussion
luckyintheorder

Jeff Schmedding to Boise

Post by luckyintheorder » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:55 pm

"Take Your Best Shot"

EWURanger

Re: Jeff Schmedding to Boise

Post by EWURanger » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Congrats to him. Wonder who we’ll bring in for D coordinator.

CDAEAGLE

Post by CDAEAGLE » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 pm

I wish him the very best at BJC! What can I say I married into a large family of Vandals.LOL

rontheoldwiseeagle2

Post by rontheoldwiseeagle2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:08 pm

CDAEAGLE wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 pm
I wish him the very best at BJC! What can I say I married into a large family of Vandals.LOL
Have you thought about sending your wife to counseling ? It's expensive but you love her :thumb:

LDopaPDX

Post by LDopaPDX » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:21 pm

rontheoldwiseeagle2 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:08 pm
CDAEAGLE wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 pm
Have you thought about sending your wife to counseling ? It's expensive but you love her :thumb:
Well done, sir!

It's a bit of a bummer that it took him quite a while to get things organized at Eastern, only to leave once the machine was running brilliantly. He'll be missed. Regardless of who Best hires, I expect the defense to be great next year as well. We've got a lot of guys who played a lot this year returning. Gurley looks to be as good as Lewis (and Lewis was EXCEPTIONAL), so we've got a lock down guy who missed the whole year. Keith Moore was playing his best football at the end of the year and looks like he'll pick up the Tiuli role. Ojoh may have been our best player by the end of the year and still has two years left. There's a lot to look forward to in 2019.
Achtung: Violenz

CDAEAGLE

Post by CDAEAGLE » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:27 pm

Our football future is brighter than our field. LOL EB will win the Walter Payton award next season and we will lead the FCS in total offense. Buy your season tickets early!!

GreatDayToBeAnEagle

Post by GreatDayToBeAnEagle » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 am

Am I being paranoid thinking that Ojoh is good enough that we should be worried about some sort of transfer / grad transfer situation with him (to Boise) to improve his NFL outlook.

LDopaPDX

Post by LDopaPDX » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:13 am

GreatDayToBeAnEagle wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 am
Am I being paranoid thinking that Ojoh is good enough that we should be worried about some sort of transfer / grad transfer situation with him (to Boise) to improve his NFL outlook.
He’s two years into his EWU career. Meaning, he’s got two left. He never redshirted.

EaglesOwntheSky

Post by EaglesOwntheSky » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:38 pm

GreatDayToBeAnEagle wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 am
Nah, he'll stay here. Best has created a great culture that will retain our best athletes.

EaglesOwntheSky

Post by EaglesOwntheSky » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Congratulations to Jeff Schmedding. I have been pretty critical of Jeff, but he pulled a hell of a 2018 season. Excited to see the next page in our defense.

marceagfan5

Post by marceagfan5 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 am

Who do we take at DC now? Jeff did a great job the past two years and will be missed, but we are loaded with young talent on D.

Gregorak is no longer at MSU, do we dare consider him? He's a great DC, would make an instant impact...
National Champions!!!

EaglesOwntheSky

Post by EaglesOwntheSky » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:50 am

marceagfan5 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 am
Who do we take at DC now? Jeff did a great job the past two years and will be missed, but we are loaded with young talent on D.

Gregorak is no longer at MSU, do we dare consider him? He's a great DC, would make an instant impact...
Gregorak's defensive mind would make us perennial FCS title contenders. But at what cost? His character is questionable and it could hurt our culture.

I'd be willing to give him a shot, but he is risky.

Screamin_Eagle174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:56 am

Anybody hear anything about candidates? Are any names being floated around aside from Gregorak (by fans)?

LDopaPDX

Post by LDopaPDX » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:09 pm

marceagfan5 wrote:

No. We’re a school that hires Eastern guys, and I’m sure we can find a guy with a lot more commitment to the craft than some Montana dude.

I wonder if Ena, Cherokee, Fetter, or Strandley wants the gig? All of those guys are solid coaches. I’d think Ena would probably be the front runner.

EWURanger

Post by EWURanger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:44 pm

marceagfan5 wrote:

Gregorak.

EaglesOwntheSky

Post by EaglesOwntheSky » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:28 pm

LDopaPDX wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:09 pm
marceagfan5 wrote:

No. We’re a school that hires Eastern guys, and I’m sure we can find a guy with a lot more commitment to the craft than some Montana dude.

I wonder if Ena, Cherokee, Fetter, or Strandley wants the gig? All of those guys are solid coaches. I’d think Ena would probably be the front runner.
We've had plenty of great coaches that we're not Eastern guys. Junior Adams was a Montana guy. We should pick the best fit for the job.

I can understand your concerns about his loyalty when deeming him a bad fit.

clawman

Post by clawman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:23 pm

EaglesOwntheSky wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:50 am
marceagfan5 wrote:

Gregorak's defensive mind would make us perennial FCS title contenders. But at what cost? His character is questionable and it could hurt our culture.

I'd be willing to give him a shot, but he is risky.
Never catch a falling knife
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

LDopaPDX

Post by LDopaPDX » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Eastern has a history of hiring from within. That's historically our culture and it clearly works for us. That's why I think Ena is probably the front runner. If not, I'd think we land on a guy who probably isn't even on the radar. Maybe a D2 guy who has had a lot of success. Or a position coach at a bigger school looking to move up the ladder.

I wonder if John Steger from UMD would be interested? His defenses have been hovering near the best in D2 for a while. He's not a particularly young guy, but we have enough youth that getting a guy who's a little more old school might be helpful.

I feel like recycling Gregorak isn't a great option. He seems to wash out wherever he goes for various reasons.

marceagfan5

Post by marceagfan5 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:22 pm

LDopaPDX wrote:
marceagfan5 wrote:

I’d be fine with Ena or Cherokee...

I wouldn’t count out Gregorak, he is a Spokane guy...he’s had his issues but he’s a damn good DC

I’d be shocked if we went the route of someone we hadn’t heard of but Best does have some connections
National Champions!!!

luckyintheorder

Post by luckyintheorder » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:16 pm

marceagfan5 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:22 pm
LDopaPDX wrote:
marceagfan5 wrote:

I’d be fine with Ena or Cherokee...

I wouldn’t count out Gregorak, he is a Spokane guy...he’s had his issues but he’s a damn good DC

I’d be shocked if we went the route of someone we hadn’t heard of but Best does have some connections
Wouldn't count out Gregorak either. Guessing Cherokee as a possibility. Nothing on the internet suggests Gregorak left for any specific issue besides the chaos on the staff under Choate. Am all for an aggressive DC who has experience on teams that have made the Natty. Not too many of those just sitting around.
"Take Your Best Shot"