Lumberjack goings-on

NAU Athletics on BigSkyFans.com
Post Reply
mtjack
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Lumberjack goings-on

Post by mtjack » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:45 am

King,

Hey. Long time no chat. Were you able to drive over to Missoula for the Big Sky tourney? What's your take on the drama that ensued?

I was only able to catch 2 NAU hoops games this year but if Grand Canyon U gets their ticket situation together, I'm aiming to attend the CIT tourney bid on Wednesday night in Phoenix. A bit over an hour away....I can't pass that up.

Throw your 2 cents in over at bigskybball.com one of these days.

-MTJack

User avatar
king
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by king » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:03 pm

Hey Jack,

Sorry I hadn't responded, I just saw your message today. I have to admit, I don't make my way onto these boards anymore. The lack of participation from other Lumberjack fans is depressing, so I just gave up. Glad to see you're still around. I occasionally see your posts in other websites like championshipsubdivision.com. Good to see you're out there representing.

I did not make it to Missoula unfortunately. I watched the games online instead. I was disappointed at how the Big Sky handled the entire fiasco in the game with Montana. I don't condone the actions of coach Murphy but I understand his frustration with the referees. Why is it that whenever anybody plays in Missoula, it feels like you're playing against the refs as well? and it's not just me who complains about this. It's the entire league. I hope Montana doesn't get awarded the Permanent Tournament Site. I can only imagine there will be many more fiascos like this one with the amount of favoritism Montana receives from the Big Sky/refs.

Glad to see you went to the GCU game. It would have been nice to see Dwayne Russel eat some Lumberjack wood :thumb: :thumb: No, in all honesty, I hope he's happy down there we really don't miss him. I'm happy to see we're the last Big Sky team standing. Hope they keep it rolling in the tournament even if it's not the NCAA. Hopefully with a little luck they can go all the way!

mtjack
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by mtjack » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:01 pm

King,

Hey.

I caught the GCU-NAU game last Wednesday in Phoenix. Decent Lumberjacks contingency in attendance for the NAU victory. I missed Saturdays game vs. Sacramento (I was out of town for the weekend) and I honestly expected the season to end @ The Nest. Color me surprised, though. I'm really hoping that NAU and GCU work something out to keep this series going. It's good for the state and its hoops fans. Maybe ASU will grow some cojones and schedule NAU again now that Sendek is no longer coaching (although I tend to think it's the higher ups in the athletic dept who stopped the series)?

I'm driving up the mountain again this Friday to watch NAU-Kent State in the CIT playoff game. I can't pass up such a rare occasion. This has been a fun team to watch this season. They rebound the hell out of the ball, play sound defense, have limited their turnovers since non-conference, keep games close and have been scoring just enough points to win 11 out of their past 14 games since February. They're on a nice roll.

It frustrates me as I have friends who live ten minutes from campus and have 99 excuses why to not go on a Friday night for only $5. And here I am I'm driving 3 hours out of my way each way. I guess this is the definition of "fanatic"? I'm through worrying about people who say they're fans but don't show up.

The remaining CIT games are streamed live on the CIT website, it seems.

Cheers,
MTJack

User avatar
king
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by king » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Well, I guess the drive was well worth it?? :thumb: :thumb: What a game and what an accomplishment for coach Murphy and his kids. I was just listening to Mitch on the radio because the live feed online went out a little into the second half, but those last 30 seconds were wild. I can only imagine how awesome it must have been live. Sad to be so far away and couldn't watch this game live. What a historic moment for NAU basketball and you were there to see it!!

mtjack
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by mtjack » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:50 pm

Woo hoo!!

Damn...I wish work hadn't gotten in the way today. What a crowd tonight. Even better than last Friday night's crowd. It's nice to see people finally showing up and giving a damn. I'm giving the :clap: to the students and community both for getting off their butts.

Bummed that the championship game was given to Evansville instead of NAU. Power conference given preferential treatment or a case that Evansville simply bid more to host? I wonder what the answer is?

Regardless...I'm going to wear NAU gear the next two days at work and I'm stoked to Thursday's game.

MTJack

User avatar
king
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by king » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:49 pm

Pretty cool to be a Lumberjack these days :ugeek:

What a game! all these playoff games have been thrillers. When I think our luck has ran out, they come out in the second half and pull out games. Props to the coaching staff and the players who have developed tough mentalities and no lose attitudes. O love how this team finds a way to win. Despite Yanku and Kaluna among others having tough scoring nights, they found a way. Awesome!!!

The final will be tough once again, but I'm not counting this team out. It's going to be sad watching Martin and Springs leave. They have been critical defensive presence and o course the two scoring machines in Dixon and Upshure. We lose A LOT, but I hear our recruiting class is a pretty good one with lot's of athleticism. I give all the credit to coach Murphy. In just 3 years he has taken us from the basement of the Big Sky, to one of the best teams in the conference. Looking forward to more years of this :thumb:

dbackjon
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by dbackjon » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 pm

NAU has been making some great comebacks.

Very excited to see the huge crowds.

I went to the GCU game as well with my buddy DJ. Couldn't make it up Friday or Tuesday, but DJ drove up Friday.
Image

dbackjon
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by dbackjon » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 pm

BTW - Mt. Jack - what were you wearing to the GCU game?
Image

mtjack
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by mtjack » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:05 pm

dbackjon wrote:BTW - Mt. Jack - what were you wearing to the GCU game?
Shorts and a blue Northern Arizona University Lumberjacks long sleeve shirt. I was right behind you guys until the people (GCU fans) to your right started wigging out about my college buddy's two kids shaking their NAU pom poms. I moved over to let his kids sit behind you because I was sure you guys weren't going to berate grade schoolers for having fun.

Had to laugh when the morality police showed up to interrogate you for dropping at F-bomb. Heaven forbid...a curse word was spoken. :roll: It may be my conspiracy theory side showing but it may have been the "Colangelo payroll" comment that really got you in trouble.

Off work @ 3:30 pm. Gotta get home quick to watch the final today. Sounds like Evansville has a good offense. This won't be easy but this year's NAU has surprised me on multiple occasions. I don't see em quitting. Go Jacks!

-MTJack

PS - I really wish I could have made it up the hill for Tuesday's game. I never thought I'd see something like that in Flagstaff. Proof that the students and community can support the school when they put their mind to it.

mtjack
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by mtjack » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:09 pm

king wrote: The final will be tough once again, but I'm not counting this team out. It's going to be sad watching Martin and Springs leave. They have been critical defensive presence and o course the two scoring machines in Dixon and Upshure. We lose A LOT, but I hear our recruiting class is a pretty good one with lot's of athleticism. I give all the credit to coach Murphy. In just 3 years he has taken us from the basement of the Big Sky, to one of the best teams in the conference. Looking forward to more years of this :thumb:
King,

Martin will be back next year.

NAU loses Upshur, Dixon, Springs, Reynolds and Bewernick. That's a lot of experience gone but I expect them to stay competitive as it isn't like the cupboard is bare.

dbackjon
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by dbackjon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:23 pm

mtjack wrote:
dbackjon wrote:BTW - Mt. Jack - what were you wearing to the GCU game?
Shorts and a blue Northern Arizona University Lumberjacks long sleeve shirt. I was right behind you guys until the people (GCU fans) to your right started wigging out about my college buddy's two kids shaking their NAU pom poms. I moved over to let his kids sit behind you because I was sure you guys weren't going to berate grade schoolers for having fun.

Had to laugh when the morality police showed up to interrogate you for dropping at F-bomb. Heaven forbid...a curse word was spoken. :roll: It may be my conspiracy theory side showing but it may have been the "Colangelo payroll" comment that really got you in trouble.

Off work @ 3:30 pm. Gotta get home quick to watch the final today. Sounds like Evansville has a good offense. This won't be easy but this year's NAU has surprised me on multiple occasions. I don't see em quitting. Go Jacks!

-MTJack

PS - I really wish I could have made it up the hill for Tuesday's game. I never thought I'd see something like that in Flagstaff. Proof that the students and community can support the school when they put their mind to it.
Yeah, I had fun that night. DJ and I still laugh about the GCU police coming at half time to scold me :rofl:

Probably the Colangelo comment is what did it. GCU has turned themselves into a poor Christian version of the Suns - complete with piped in music, etc.
Image

dbackjon
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Lumberjack goings-on

Post by dbackjon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Tough game - thought we were going to hold them off. The Lithuanian was just too much.
Image

Post Reply