Week 7: Homecoming vs Idaho State

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
SDHornet

Week 7: Homecoming vs Idaho State

Post by SDHornet » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Idaho State (3-3, 1-2 BSC) is coming into the game on a tough loss at home to Montana. The Bengals knocked off a terrible Nevada team in week 2 and are a couple of botched PATs at UNC away from a 4-2 season. ISU is a much-improved team under new HC Rob Phenicie on the offensive side of the ball, but still have some ways to go on the defensive side.

Offensively ISU operates out of the pistol/shotgun. They run read-option out of the pistol in which QB T Gueller rarely keeps it for a run. T Gueller (110/189, 1704 yds, 15 TD, 5 INT) has good vision, a good arm that is accurate, and is an elusive scrambler that can move the chains when needed. The ISU OL gives up a lot of sacks and does an okay job rush blocking.

The ISU RBs are a capable bunch. Madison (5.5 ypc, 3 TD) and Flannigan (5.0 ypc, 4 TD) get the bulk of the carries. Both are threats catching the ball out of the backfield. The ISU WRs are solid group and T Gueller does an excellent job of spreading the ball around to the open receiver. They can make plays down the field and are all good possession receivers as well. Dean (27 rec, 436 yds, 5 TD), Graves (20 rec, 318 yds, 1 TD), and M Gueller (17 rec, 462 yds, 6 TD) are the main targets.

Defensively ISU lines up in a 3-4. They have some good size at DL and a stud LB in Jenkins (72 tkls, 6 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles) but are a mess everywhere else. The Bengals have not held any of their D1 opponents to anything less than 413 yards and 34 points (except inept Nevada at 28 points). This defense has forced enough turnovers so that the Bengals are net 0 on the year.

If not for coming off the bye I would expect a closer game. However, I don’t see how ISU stops Thomson and the Hornet offense if they play up to their potential. The Hornet defense will have a tough challenge but they should be able to get after T Gueller early and often. My prediction is the Hornets win by 17+ in front of 8750 people.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Super Hornet

Re: Week 7: Homecoming vs Idaho State

Post by Super Hornet » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:20 pm

How did the Bungles get a Griz coach? SMH....

Oldhornet23

Post by Oldhornet23 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:54 pm

Question, do you actually watch all the games of the opposing team or are you going off stats? Just a serious question.

demian

Post by demian » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 am

SDHornet wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm
Idaho State (3-3, 1-2 BSC) is coming into the game on a tough loss at home to Montana. The Bengals knocked off a terrible Nevada team in week 2 and are a couple of botched PATs at UNC away from a 4-2 season. ISU is a much-improved team under new HC Rob Phenicie on the offensive side of the ball, but still have some ways to go on the defensive side.

Offensively ISU operates out of the pistol/shotgun. They run read-option out of the pistol in which QB T Gueller rarely keeps it for a run. T Gueller (110/189, 1704 yds, 15 TD, 5 INT) has good vision, a good arm that is accurate, and is an elusive scrambler that can move the chains when needed. The ISU OL gives up a lot of sacks and does an okay job rush blocking.

The ISU RBs are a capable bunch. Madison (5.5 ypc, 3 TD) and Flannigan (5.0 ypc, 4 TD) get the bulk of the carries. Both are threats catching the ball out of the backfield. The ISU WRs are solid group and T Gueller does an excellent job of spreading the ball around to the open receiver. They can make plays down the field and are all good possession receivers as well. Dean (27 rec, 436 yds, 5 TD), Graves (20 rec, 318 yds, 1 TD), and M Gueller (17 rec, 462 yds, 6 TD) are the main targets.

Defensively ISU lines up in a 3-4. They have some good size at DL and a stud LB in Jenkins (72 tkls, 6 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles) but are a mess everywhere else. The Bengals have not held any of their D1 opponents to anything less than 413 yards and 34 points (except inept Nevada at 28 points). This defense has forced enough turnovers so that the Bengals are net 0 on the year.

If not for coming off the bye I would expect a closer game. However, I don’t see how ISU stops Thomson and the Hornet offense if they play up to their potential. The Hornet defense will have a tough challenge but they should be able to get after T Gueller early and often. My prediction is the Hornets win by 17+ in front of 8750 people.
That is a pretty solid breakdown of our ISU. I have a son on the ISU team so I watch all games and your fairly accurate with your assessment. One correction is that ISU is no longer using the 3-4 defensive front. we have switched to a 4-3. Should be a fun game. I am glad to see both teams are WAY better than last season. It will be a tough road game for us for sure. Basically an elimination game for both teams if they want to stay in hunt for a playoff berth.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:37 pm

Oldhornet23 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:54 pm
Question, do you actually watch all the games of the opposing team or are you going off stats? Just a serious question.
Both if I have the time. Some games are available via replay on Watch Big Sky. I watched about 2.5 ISU games this season.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 pm

demian wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 am

That is a pretty solid breakdown of our ISU. I have a son on the ISU team so I watch all games and your fairly accurate with your assessment. One correction is that ISU is no longer using the 3-4 defensive front. we have switched to a 4-3. Should be a fun game. I am glad to see both teams are WAY better than last season. It will be a tough road game for us for sure. Basically an elimination game for both teams if they want to stay in hunt for a playoff berth.
Welcome demian and thanks for pointing that out. ISU stacked the box against CP so it was hard to tell from that game, and all the BSC participation reports show ISU in a 3-4.

Should be a good game this weekend. Almost all of ISU's offensive play-makers will be around for a few years so things are looking up for you guys.

Oldhornet23

Post by Oldhornet23 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 pm

SDHornet wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 pm
demian wrote:

Welcome demian and thanks for pointing that out. ISU stacked the box against CP so it was hard to tell from that game, and all the BSC participation reports show ISU in a 3-4.

Should be a good game this weekend. Almost all of ISU's offensive play-makers will be around for a few years so things are looking up for you guys.
Also if you watch the games they are odd fronts. So not sure what ISU guy is watching? Watched Montana game. Montana is over rated. I think Sac should be able to put up points. Depends what Sac defense shows up.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Oldhornet23 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 pm
SDHornet wrote:
demian wrote:

Also if you watch the games they are odd fronts. So not sure what ISU guy is watching? Watched Montana game. Montana is over rated. I think Sac should be able to put up points. Depends what Sac defense shows up.
I agree. Montucky is just an above average offense with a horrible defense. ISU could have beat them if they didn't squander their opportunities. Saturday's game should be interesting, I'm hoping the Hornets ride the emotions of Homecoming into a dominant victory.

demian

Post by demian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:17 am

Oldhornet23 wrote:
SDHornet wrote:
demian wrote:

HAHA good point OldHornet23. I must admit I NEVER look at what front our defense lines up in you guys are probabaly correct on the 3-4 my mistake haha. Montana was not that good. We were killing them in the first half and then completely fell apart in the second half. Our third qtrs are always HORRIBLE. I don't know why.

demian

Post by demian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 am

SDHornet wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 pm
Oldhornet23 wrote:
SDHornet wrote:
demian wrote:

I agree. Montucky is just an above average offense with a horrible defense. ISU could have beat them if they didn't squander their opportunities. Saturday's game should be interesting, I'm hoping the Hornets ride the emotions of Homecoming into a dominant victory.
SDHornet you very well may be correct on the defensive front. I am probably wrong. Yeah I think on offense we only lose two starting offensive lineman and one wide receiver to graduation and on defense I believe we only lose a starting linebacker (Mario Jenkins who is great) and a starting D-Lineman (John Ryheem Peoples who is great) to graduation. So we will have 9 starters returning on defense and 8 starters returning on offense plus punter and FG kicker returning next season. Many freshman and sophomores play and some start on either side of ball. So the future definitely seems bright at ISU. You are correct I felt ISU should have beat Montana but we did not play a full 4 qtrs so in that respect we deserved to lose. Team is much much improved since last season though so that is encouraging and it appears you guys are VERY MUCH improved since last season as well should be a good game. Tough to win on the road tho.

josephpoint

Post by josephpoint » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:41 pm

curious about air quality in Sacramento right now and this weekend with the wild fires. Any impacts on the game Saturday? Air quality is very poor in the SF Bay Area and pro and college football games might be impacted (moved, cancelled, etc.) according to some press on the topic. Believe a marathon in SF on

Thoughts and prayers go out to all the people who have lost their lives and thousands of others who have lost their homes

T

Oldhornet23

Post by Oldhornet23 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm

demian wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 am
SDHornet wrote:
Oldhornet23 wrote:
SDHornet wrote:
demian wrote:

SDHornet you very well may be correct on the defensive front. I am probably wrong. Yeah I think on offense we only lose two starting offensive lineman and one wide receiver to graduation and on defense I believe we only lose a starting linebacker (Mario Jenkins who is great) and a starting D-Lineman (John Ryheem Peoples who is great) to graduation. So we will have 9 starters returning on defense and 8 starters returning on offense plus punter and FG kicker returning next season. Many freshman and sophomores play and some start on either side of ball. So the future definitely seems bright at ISU. You are correct I felt ISU should have beat Montana but we did not play a full 4 qtrs so in that respect we deserved to lose. Team is much much improved since last season though so that is encouraging and it appears you guys are VERY MUCH improved since last season as well should be a good game. Tough to win on the road tho.
For the Hornets they would only lose TE/2 OL and WR Hennie

Defense lose Sorenson/DE and Jenkins/CB

demian

Post by demian » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:21 am

Oldhornet23 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm
demian wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 am
SDHornet wrote:
Oldhornet23 wrote:
SDHornet wrote:
demian wrote:

For the Hornets they would only lose TE/2 OL and WR Hennie

Defense lose Sorenson/DE and Jenkins/CB
Wow both teams seem to be set up well for the future

just a sac state fan

Post by just a sac state fan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Hornets will win. crowd will be around 9 k and we will win by 9 points.

josephpoint

Post by josephpoint » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Great to see 10,000 at Hornet Stadium for a victory over a very good Idaho State team.

Great team win. Ground game excellent. Defense excellent. Offense excellent. Special teams excellent. First year, 2nd year , third year and seniors excellent.

A great Homecoming win.

Go Hornets

and

Stingers up!!

demian

Post by demian » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 pm

josephpoint wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:04 pm
Great to see 10,000 at Hornet Stadium for a victory over a very good Idaho State team.

Great team win. Ground game excellent. Defense excellent. Offense excellent. Special teams excellent. First year, 2nd year , third year and seniors excellent.

A great Homecoming win.

Go Hornets

and

Stingers up!!
Impressive win by you guys. You guys are good. Most complete team I saw us play against this season. Good luck rest of way.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm

demian wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 pm
Impressive win by you guys. You guys are good. Most complete team I saw us play against this season. Good luck rest of way.
Good luck to you guys the rest of the year. Thanks for chiming in here. :thumb:

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Great tailgate atmosphere, great game atmosphere. Good to see Homecoming break the 10k mark.

Dominating performance last night in the 41-21 win. Hornets took care of business on both side of the ball. ISU was no slouch coming into this, Hornet defense really stepped up and made the dynamic Bengal offense one dimensional. Hornet offense racked up 572 yards of offense and dominated TOP. Great game.
:clap:

demian

Post by demian » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:27 pm

SDHornet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:54 pm
Great tailgate atmosphere, great game atmosphere. Good to see Homecoming break the 10k mark.

Dominating performance last night in the 41-21 win. Hornets took care of business on both side of the ball. ISU was no slouch coming into this, Hornet defense really stepped up and made the dynamic Bengal offense one dimensional. Hornet offense racked up 572 yards of offense and dominated TOP. Great game.
:clap:
actually if I have to be honest you guys made our offense ZERO dimensional lol. I don't even say that as a criticism of our players because as you stated our offense going into the game had been multi faceted. You guys deserve all the credit on this one you took away our run game and our passing game was kind of average. You guys didn't let our running backs get many yards at all after contact which is something our RB's have been feasting on this season. your tackling was very good. Our pass game was not able to have the same success against you guys because our QB was pressured all game long and couldn't get comfortable.

demian

Post by demian » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:28 pm

SDHornet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm
demian wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 pm
Good luck to you guys the rest of the year. Thanks for chiming in here. :thumb:
Thanks SDHornet