Week 11 - Sac State at Northern Arizona

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:42 pm

The 8th ranked Hornets (6-3, 4-1 BSC) head to Flagstaff to face a streaky Northern Arizona Lumberjack (4-5, 2-3 BSC) team that has yet to lose in the Walkup Skydome this season. NAU is still trying to find their stride under first year Head Coach Chris Ball. The Lumberjacks are coming into this game off of a total beatdown at the hands of EWU, 38-66.

NAU runs a spread offense and throws the ball all over the field racking up loads of yards and points. NAU’s offense is currently ranked 7th/3rd in FCS/BSC: 36.6 ppg (T-15th/4th), 472.4 ypg, 99.1 rush ypg (111th/13th), 374.6 pass ypg (1st/1st). QB Case Cookus (211/357, 3,134 yds, 26 TD, 7 INT) is having a phenomenal senior season and has put up video game numbers so far. Cookus is on pace to become NAU’s all-time leading passer. Five (5) players have 20 or more receptions on the year with three (3) of them having over 700 yard receiving. WR Brandon Porter (58 rec, 830 yds, 8 TD) leads NAU in receptions and yards. RB Joe Logan (125 car, 447 yds, 8 TD, 28 rec, 355 yds, 5 TD) is the main guy carrying the load out of the backfield.

The NAU defense is in its first year in the 3-4 and have struggled mightily in the adjustment. The Lumberjacks are currently ranked 122nd/12th in FCS/BSC: 40.8 ppg (120th/13th), 508.2 ypg, 222.3 rush ypg (112th/13th), 285.9 pass ypg (114th/11th). LB Brooklyn Hardiman (4y tkl, 4 TFL, 1.5 sacks) and S Jalen Cook (47 tkl, 1 TFL) leads the defense in tackles.

NAU has an outstanding kicker in Luis Aguilar (13/15 FG, 40/40 PAT) who is near perfect on the year. His only misses are from 50+ yards out. NAU’s net punting numbers (41.3 ypp, 2nd BSC) are atop the BSC.

This NAU defense has struggled to stop anyone this season and has shown they really miss Andy Thompson at Defensive Coordinator. However I have my doubts on whether a Thomson-less Hornet offense will be able to keep pace with Cookus and the Lumberjack offense. I think this game hinges on whether or not the Hornet defense can keep Cookus in check; and unfortunately no one has been able to do so in Flagstaff. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m going with a tough Hornet loss on the road.

Stingers Up!
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Kadeezy

Re: Week 11 - Sac State at Northern Arizona

Post by Kadeezy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:27 am

Did we see a handful of Wing T formations when Dunniway was under center last week?

I actually thought that really had potential with us having two skilled TEs and two dangerous RBs. That type of formation might open up some routes more suited to Dunniway’s style, interesting play action looks, etc.

Super Hornet
Admin

Post by Super Hornet » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:48 pm

I'm not a fan of Wing-T, but if it fits Dunniway's style, go for it....

josephpoint

Post by josephpoint » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:12 pm

Team work makes the dreams work.

Go Hornets at NAU!!

Stingers up.

OldSchoolHornet

Post by OldSchoolHornet » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:20 am

I don't know what qube or offense we will beat NAU with but I'm confident we will win. As far a wing T offense...it is definitely problematic for defenses if they are not prepared and it is difficult to prepare for in a week. If they are forced to adapt their eye progressions...especially ay level 2...during the game it can/will be an absolute nightmare.
GO HORNETS!

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:00 am

OldSchoolHornet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:20 am
I don't know what qube or offense we will beat NAU with but I'm confident we will win. As far a wing T offense...it is definitely problematic for defenses if they are not prepared and it is difficult to prepare for in a week. If they are forced to adapt their eye progressions...especially ay level 2...during the game it can/will be an absolute nightmare.
GO HORNETS!
After a series or two of RPO with Dunniway against Weber, they stopped spying on the QB position and only focused on the dive. Deep balls weren’t hitting and Weber got even more aggressive.

The fact that this coaching staff pulled out formations and plays we’d not seen all year in game 9 with the backup QB, shows me that Taylor and Co. have been lightyear ahead this season and gives me confidence that no matter who plays QB Saturday, we can win. Not something I could’ve said in years prior.

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:16 am

Limit Cookus and run the ball down their throats with screens, shovel passes to keep them honest. Use the TE.
Dont expect Dunniway to have Sunday morning 80yd bomb highlight videos, just keep it proletarian.
Dont be cute, just line up and knock them in the mouth, repeat. Eat up clock.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Kadeezy wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:00 am
OldSchoolHornet wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:20 am
GO HORNETS!
After a series or two of RPO with Dunniway against Weber, they stopped spying on the QB position and only focused on the dive. Deep balls weren’t hitting and Weber got even more aggressive.

The fact that this coaching staff pulled out formations and plays we’d not seen all year in game 9 with the backup QB, shows me that Taylor and Co. have been lightyear ahead this season and gives me confidence that no matter who plays QB Saturday, we can win. Not something I could’ve said in years prior.
I recall seeing this formation a few times this season, but not more than a couple of plays per game.

I expect a run heavy game plan for the Hornets. NAU's DL is on the small side and the Hornet OL should be pretty pissed about their play in the Weber game. They need to really come out and get some this week.

I expect a lot of quick short throws from NAU to counter the Hornet pass rush. Cookus is scary good, I know the Hornet D has played very well this season but I'm having a hard time seeing them stop him this week. I hope I'm wrong.

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:12 am

What's up with NAU not releasing their game notes/depth chart? Gamesmanship?

Cookus was drilled late in the EWU game last week and replaced by their backup, RS FR Heath Beemiller. Beemiller was only 1-4 passing and took a couple sacks. Do you think Cookus was held out because the game was out of hand, or perhaps there's something more to this?

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:53 am

I’m saying Dunniway plays today - Hornet social media posting pictures of #12 under center foreshadowing???

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Well, Kevin Thomson did not even make the trip. Not good.

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Let’s go!!!!!

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Nice 63 yard TD pass from Dunniway to a wide open Martin. That's got to feel good for him. Hornets force another punt. 7-0.

Hornets with another long drive. Good mix of run and pass. Dunniway hits Martin again for another Hornet TD. Dunniway looking great. 14-0 late 1st.

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Wow, this NAU Defense is complete trash... lol 14-0 because no one is covering Marshel Martin lol

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Still props to Dunniway, and Troy Taylor

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Wow, Dunniway missed multiple open receivers on a critical third down, and instead NAU gets a strip sack and the ball. Gotta get rid of the ball, it’s a game now.

HornetHope

Post by HornetHope » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:47 pm

Kadeezy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:53 pm
Wow, Dunniway missed multiple open receivers on a critical third down, and instead NAU gets a strip sack and the ball. Gotta get rid of the ball, it’s a game now.
Going back to old Hornet ways....
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:52 pm

HornetHope wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:47 pm
Kadeezy wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:53 pm
Going back to old Hornet ways....
Sure looked like it with the repetitive dumb penalties. Also once Dunniway got past the first 15-20 likely scripted plays, he looked terrible again - lacking awareness, near miss INTs, etc.

The D needs to snap out of that Q2 haze - though the first TD wasn’t really on them after the turnover.

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:58 pm

Horrible decision by Coach Taylor to throw the ball on 3rd and long late in the half. They run the ball and NAU wouldn’t have had time to do anything. Gifted them 3 points and a tie game. I like playing aggressively but that’s not the situation to do it. He’s gotta know better than that.

Dunniway’s inaccuracy is killing the Hornets again. He cost them two TD’s last week and several 1st downs this week. This game shouldn’t be tied.

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:35 pm

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:58 pm
Horrible decision by Coach Taylor to throw the ball on 3rd and long late in the half. They run the ball and NAU wouldn’t have had time to do anything. Gifted them 3 points and a tie game. I like playing aggressively but that’s not the situation to do it. He’s gotta know better than that.

Dunniway’s inaccuracy is killing the Hornets again. He cost them two TD’s last week and several 1st downs this week. This game shouldn’t be tied.
Dunniway pick / Cookus bomb - Hornets imploding.