Week 7 - Sac State at #5 Montana

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Green Cookie Monster

Curse of Ricky Ray gone!

Great game calling by the staff. Best called game I have ever seen from a Hornets squad!!

Give Taylor the FSU Bowden lifetime agreement to be Sac's HC for his career!

Woohoo, time to drink some beer!
GreenArmySwarm

Let’s f*cking gooooooooo
Green Laser

Kadeezy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:33 pm They tried to take it from us in the end, so sorry… huge nuts for this squad. Coaching staff deserves so many kudos!
The grizz is finally off our back in Missoula! So proud of the team and coaching staff, I waited a long time for this day! Coach Taylor is 2-0 vs the grizz!
SDHornet

28-21 Hornet win. Statement win. Wow.
Hornets are true contenders now. Play calling was on point, overcame some awful penalties, punched the griz in the mouth and never looked back. [email protected] impressive.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
BuckeyeHornetFan

Kadeezy wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:33 pm They tried to take it from us in the end, so sorry… huge nuts for this squad. Coaching staff deserves so many kudos!
I’m confused. Is there replay in the BSC or not? How do they not review that? Dunniway clearly reached the ball across for the 1st down.

Luckily Montana’s offense isn’t that good and the Hornets D was up to the challenge.

I thought Fulcher’s fumble was going to cost us, then that horrible call by the officials. But alas, the curse is gone!

Huge props to the o-line and Coach Richardson — who I’ve been critical of — as they were good most the game and are seemingly getting better each and every week.

Props to both QB’s. If that’s what the dual QB look is going to produce on a regular basis, I’ll shut my mouth from now on. I was glad to see O’Hara make some downfield throws so the defense can’t just expect run every time he’s in the game.

Dunniway wasn’t perfect, and missed some throws, but he was very good on the whole. Again, another player I’ve been critical of and he’s making me eat my words. And I’m happy to do it.

Pierre Williams is a rock. We missed him so badly last postseason. He’s arguably the best WR the Hornets have had this millennium, if not ever. And I say that as a huge fan of DeAndre Carter and Fred Amey. He’s just a big strong, talented kid. We might have a few players in freshman Gipson, Gandy and Miller. Those kids can play!

Let’s not forget Marshell Martin. He didn’t have a big statistical day today, but our offense opens up when he and Williams are both on the field.

Defense played awesome today. As soon as I think I start to see cracks in the armor with Andy Thompson and his system, he comes up with another great game plan. The kids executed and tackled in open space really well. And got home enough on the QB to cause problems. Coverage has been improving too.

I still believe we’re missing the downhill, physical running aspect needed in big situations — evident on short yardage plays — but it is clear as day that our o-line is much, much better than it was in the first couple games. That’s coaching and development. Credit to the players too.

Huge, huge win. Arguably the biggest win in Hornets history. At least in their FCS history, anyway.

Congrats to all those kids and coaches. They’ve worked their @$$ off the past 2 years (nearly). They earned it.

Now go get the conference title. Outright.
Last edited by BuckeyeHornetFan on Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDHornet

Excellent post. I didn't think we'd pull it off. Those watching with me at the bar can confirm this.

O'Hara had a huge fumble that changed the outlook of the game but the Hornet D came through. Especially after that muffed punt coming through with the INT was HUGE. Only knock on the D was missed open field tackles but they stiffened up in critical situations. Dunniway was on point all game.

OL and DL completely dominated. Even after that 4th and short that wasn't reviewed and would have given us the 1st down, Hornet D came through and sacked Brown on multiple downs to seal the win. Epic game. Historical win for this program.
BuckeyeHornetFan

SDHornet wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:04 pm Those watching with me at the bar can confirm this.
Just curious, where do you watch? Are there a lot of Hornets fans there? It’d be super cool to watch a road game with some actual fans. None of my hardcore sports fan friends follow FCS or Sac State. Though they do bet on the bigger FCS games from time to time.

SDHornet wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:04 pm O'Hara had a huge fumble that changed the outlook of the game but the Hornet D came through.
I forgot to talk about O’Hara’s fumble in my previous post. I had been complaining to my wife about his tendency to be loose with the ball, as he was flirting with disaster all game to that point. I knew it was just a matter of time. He’s got to stop that $#!t. As much as he weaves and cuts back he’s very susceptible to the backside/blindside hit from the pursuing defender. We all know it goes well beyond this one game. Coaches have to work with him on that, especially if he’s going to continue to get a lot of carries.

That turnover was so huge because we were eerily close to a 2 score lead.
BuckeyeHornetFan

Love seeing this!

BuckeyeHornetFan

Another tidbit of info, since it’s been brought up a few times by a few different people — but I notice today that Ariel Ngata made his Hornets debut in the game yesterday. He logged 2 total tackles, though I don’t recall seeing him.

Still no official stats for Deshawn Lynch yet. No clue what the deal is with him.
GreenArmySwarm

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am Another tidbit of info, since it’s been brought up a few times by a few different people — but I notice today that Ariel Ngata made his Hornets debut in the game yesterday. He logged 2 total tackles, though I don’t recall seeing him.

Still no official stats for Deshawn Lynch yet. No clue what the deal is with him.
I saw that on the stats sheet as well but don’t remember seeing a 34 on the field on defense. Maybe it was Special Team?
Kadeezy

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am Another tidbit of info, since it’s been brought up a few times by a few different people — but I notice today that Ariel Ngata made his Hornets debut in the game yesterday. He logged 2 total tackles, though I don’t recall seeing him.

I saw that too. Lynch is in full pads celebrating with the team in the UM road locker room! Maybe there are hoping to red shirt him and are just waiting until the last four games?
GreenArmySwarm

Kadeezy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:07 pm

I saw that too. Lynch is in full pads celebrating with the team in the UM road locker room! Maybe there are hoping to red shirt him and are just waiting until the last four games?
Did he? Can’t make it out from the only locker room video the official Sac State football page posted
SDHornet

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:41 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:04 pm Those watching with me at the bar can confirm this.
Just curious, where do you watch? Are there a lot of Hornets fans there? It’d be super cool to watch a road game with some actual fans. None of my hardcore sports fan friends follow FCS or Sac State. Though they do bet on the bigger FCS games from time to time.
There was about 10 of of us, plus whoever else was there that got sucked into our yelling and screaming. I'll key you in the next time we have a watch party.
SDHornet

I went back and watched the 4th quarter. Talk about domination by the Hornets. Hornets dominated TOP 11:31-3:29 and yards 88-13. All of which was sparked by that Hawkins redzone INT. Probably one of the most flawless crunch time performances in Hornet history. Amazing.
HornetHope

Kadeezy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:07 pm

I went back and looked at the box score, Ngata played end of 1st and 1st part of 2nd quarter. Just a guess but maybe Lynch is RS, so we see him in UCD and in playoffs?
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
BSCfan

It's Monday morning...anyone else still on a high from Saturday's game?
Kadeezy

BSCfan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:13 am It's Monday morning...anyone else still on a high from Saturday's game?
Yep! We made quite the jump in the Sagarin and Massey ranking. Suck it Arizona (we’re ahead of them lol).

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/ratings

If this team plays to potential, Massey says they’ll finish 8-3. That’s home playoff game territory.
SDHornet

BuckeyeHornetFan

Kadeezy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:24 am
BSCfan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:13 am It's Monday morning...anyone else still on a high from Saturday's game?
Yep! We made quite the jump in the Sagarin and Massey ranking. Suck it Arizona (we’re ahead of them lol).

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/ratings

If this team plays to potential, Massey says they’ll finish 8-3. That’s home playoff game territory.

Sorry, but collegiate/FCS rankings are always so flawed.

SAC and Montana own the exact same record but SAC beat UM on the road yet it ranked below UM?

No credibility whatsoever.
Super Hornet
Admin

Looking at the Montana box. Something odd is popping up. Are we running a QB shuttle system, or something? It seems that both Dunniway and O'Hara played. Dunniway seems to have gotten more done, but O'Hara seems to be more efficient (albeit not as productive with 8-9-75 in the air and 17-72-1 on the ground, while Dunniway was 17-29-227-1-1 in the air and 5-21 on the ground), at least in terms of the passing game. Both seemed to be pretty effective on the ground. And both, per the numbers anyway, seem to have been better than Brown for Montana (higher passing yardage percentage, higher long passes, etc.) It DOES seem that Brown was scrambling more (23 of his 24 rushing yards came on ONE play, seriously cutting down on his average), though he DID get two rushing TDs. But was that more scrambling after a nasty pass rush, or were they calling RPOs or called QB runs?

Is there something to this supposition? I do like how Hornet QBs seemed to spread the ball around (TEN receivers caught passes and three credited non-QBs rushed the ball, though there were two uncredited rushers who didn't do so hot). Are we going to have to deal with this for the entire season, or will either Dunniway or O'Hara pull away and become the permanent QB?

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah