Welcome to Moscow.

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
VandalBasher

Welcome to Moscow.

Post by VandalBasher » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:38 am

Hello Hornets,

We look forward to your attendance and viewing of the game on August 31st. Please drop on by to talk training camp, Big Sky action, starters from freshmen to seniors, and potential outcomes of the game.

http://scout.com/college/idaho/Board/Va ... all-103901

Best of luck on the season.

Go Vandals

Green Cookie Monster

Re: Welcome to Moscow.

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:19 am

Last time we met UI swamped the Hornets 45-3.
I expect the same this century.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Vandals by 4+ TDs.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

VandalBasher

Post by VandalBasher » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:13 am

Here is my assessment. I believe Petrino will put together a game plan similar to last year's game against MSU. The purpose is preserve our actual playbook for UNLV.

IDAHO 21, SAC ST. 17

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:10 pm

Hornets lose 28-6 in a game that was pretty close until late.

Hornet D played a great game. Forced 3 turnovers and kept the Hornets in the game until they ran out of gas late in the 4th. They had a couple of drives in the 2nd qtr that got away from them but overall, I was impressed. Idaho has some weapons on offense and the Hornet D largely kept them in check. Lots of hits and pressure on the QB, good tackling, good coverage. Much improvement from last season.

Hornet offense was horrible (190 yds, 95 pass, 95 rush) aside from the one drive that resulted in a long FG. Dotson (5 car, 46 yds) looks impressive out of the backfield, he needs more touches instead of Gable (5 car, 6 yds). Ajeigbe was ok too (10 car, 34 yds). Thomson (10/21, 95 yds) looked like a deer in the headlights. Stared down his primary WR and then would tuck and run. Very ineffective and unimpressive, only positive was no lost turnovers and throws a decent ball. Playbook is also very limited due to his inexperience, very few shots taken down the field. WRs cut some critical routes short that resulted in 4th downs instead of 1st downs. Hennie (5 rec, 49 yds) and Lindsay (2 rec, 33 yds) were the main targets. Rucker (1 rec, 8 yds) unimpressive and had a drop that would have kept a drive alive. Just a very unimpressive game...and then the coaching staffs’ decision to waste the remaining drives late in the game on Clapper (0/4) instead of building some confidence for Thomson heading into week 2. Laughable.

Special teams was meh. Punting is going to be an issue. Cuzzupolli (11 punts, 38.5 yd avg, 1 TB, 1 I20) takes too long getting it away and one punt was tipped, and a few shanks. FG kicking was ok, Medeiros missed a makeable mid-range FG but nailed a 52 yarder and a chip shot FG. Dotson had a nice kick return late. Just a so-so performance, but this unit generated the only Hornet points.

I think this team can win a few games given the number of weak teams on the schedule. But no reason to expect anything special from this team this year. Would have been a near 500 season if this coaching staff wouldn’t have chased away its only QB with D1 experience.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Phantom Hornet

Post by Phantom Hornet » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 am

Agree SD, played much better than I expected. The decision with trying to convince Ketteringham to move to safety in spring will be something I don't think I'll ever understand...other than they wanted him out. You got a kid who was clobbered his first two years for the program. He deserved a shot to finish what he started. To me, it had to be a personality conflict because it just doesn't make sense otherwise.

I get the sense Sears wants "his guys" playing regardless of talent, which is his right. Just feels like cutting off the nose to spite the face.

HornetHope

Post by HornetHope » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:58 pm

I agree with SD's assessment. :notworthy: Dotson is probably the best running back we have seen as a pure freshman and the way he runs reminds me a little bit of the way Donny Hair used to scat around the edge.

Defense is much improved and will keep the Hornets in the game.

I am completely mystified by the decision to start Thomson. I watched part of the game, and he looked lost, scared and completely stared down his receiver (check down, nope game was waaay to fast for him).

The good news is with idiotic decision to start and play the clowns over Cassel, means we should be cleared to search for a new head coach starting the end of October.

Grades
Defense A-/B+
Special Teams. C+
Offense. D
Coaching. H for please remove your head from nether regions!
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi

FACTSONLY

Post by FACTSONLY » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Not sure about the Cassel situation, sort of a orchestrated disinformation campaign - career over or game time decision? - very strange ... Peterson / Ketteringham were rolled under the bus by Wulff while Sears watched, epic sideline battles between sideline and press box during games, Peterson never stood a chance ... both on to bigger and better things --- they were pushed out ... Thomson is Wulff's guy ... he has been the HC since Western Oregon ... what is even more disgusting, from another post :
"any person that sits in the HC role, that would ask a team captain for a list of scholarship players that are 'expendable' so they could recoup money, is beyond pathetic... that is how you get buy in? What happened to Family/Brotherhood/Loyalty/Team.... to turn player against player ... unbelievable..."

speaks for itself

Grumpy02

Post by Grumpy02 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Facts only........... :clap: you obviously have your Facts wrong :rofl:

FACTSONLY

Post by FACTSONLY » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 pm

Only facts we have from you are every injection cassel has ever taken, why he should be starting, and his report card from third grade ... Wulff / Peterson issue is public knowledge ... Thomson being wulff's guy is as well... What are you disputing ? :mrgreen: and the latter really did happen! That too is pretty public