Program on the upswing

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Phantom Hornet

Program on the upswing

Post by Phantom Hornet » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:51 pm

First time going to a game in a few years and I gotta say I was really impressed with it all. The stadium improvements, the gameday experience, and the team itself.

The beer garden is awesome, and I think one could actually make the argument that Sac State might have one of the best college stadium cuisines on the West Coast with the 10 different food trucks tucked by the Well (not sure if they do that many for every game). The whole facility just looked nice -no more janky elevator to the press box.

The team just looks different to me. More talent, more stability. I like the schemes they are running on both offense and defense, they seem to utilize their stable of backs a lot more, not depending on just one guy. I was also watching guys on the sideline and after the game, and whole team genuinely looks like they are having fun, enjoying playing with each other. Looks a loose and close team.

I know it's early and we still have half the season left, but if it's up to me, I would re-sign Sears. He seems to having things moving forward and has created the foundation for a successful program. I wasn't a big fan but he won me over.
Last edited by Phantom Hornet on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demian

Re: Program on the upswing

Post by demian » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:02 pm

Impressive win by you guys. You guys are good. Most complete team I saw us play against this season. Good luck rest of way.

josephpoint

Post by josephpoint » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm

very class post by an ISU fan

Wish ISU all the best the rest of the season.

demian

Post by demian » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:10 pm

josephpoint wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm
very class post by an ISU fan

Wish ISU all the best the rest of the season.
Thx man, best of luck to sac state also down the stretch. You guys have a cool team.

Oldhornet23

Post by Oldhornet23 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:21 am

Phantom Hornet wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:51 pm
First time going to a game in a few years and I gotta say I was really impressed with it all. The stadium improvements, the gameday experience, and the team itself.

The beer garden is awesome, and I think one could actually make the argument that Sac State might have one of the best college stadium cuisines on the West Coast with the 10 different food trucks tucked by the Well (not sure if they do that many for every game). The whole facility just looked nice -no more janky elevator to the press box.

The team just looks different to me. More talent, more stability. I like the schemes they are running on both offense and defense, they seem to utilize their stable of backs a lot more, not depending on just one guy. I was also watching guys on the sideline and after the game, and whole team genuinely looks like they are having fun, enjoying playing with each other. Looks a loose and close team.

I know it's early and we still have half the season left, but if it's up to me, I would re-sign Sears. He seems to having things moving forward and has created the foundation for a successful program. I wasn't a big fan but he won me over.

Most of same players the past two seasons, they are all juniors now

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Remaining schedule is very favorable. Sears very well could play himself into an extension if the Hornets keep taking care of business against the weaker opponents.

UND sucks. Should be a win if the Hornets can get over the long travel and early start time.

NAU will be favored. Tough to win in Flagstaff and NAU is solid on both sides of the ball. Still a winnable game but this could very well be the only loss the rest of the way

UNC sucks. Their QB went down with injury last week and their defense is horrible plus this is at home.

CP game will be interesting. They are better then their record. This match will really test the defensive discipline. CP defense is no where near as good as they typically are.

Causeway should be interesting. The dungpilers have a decent offense but their defense isn't very good. The bigger question is will the Hornets be able to avoid the backbreaking mistakes that typically cost us a win in this game.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

DrMike

Post by DrMike » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:24 pm

you guys and us (Davis) are both 3-3, with similar schedules - NAU on the road, Poly at home for us, road for you, and a couple other games that are winnable but dangerous (UND in their dome, ISU in their dome). so, we both could be heading into the Causeway at 6-4 with a possible playoff berth as a possible prize for the winner. that is (1) unprecedented in our D1 histories; (2) something a fan can write with some level of credibilty; and (3) a great sign for both programs. having both teams good would be good for both programs -> build more excitement.

Super Hornet

Post by Super Hornet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Dr. Mike:

THEORETICALLY, 7-4 CAN get it done, and it HAS been done in recent years, but I don't think either of us have the SOS to pull that off. Like many of our fellow BSC schools, we have to get at least one of our "officially" OOC games another conference game, OR try to get a $$ game against a Pac-12 and risk a slaughterfest (unless we're lucky enough to get FCS-vulnerable Oregon State, whom we HAVE beaten) that can cripple us the rest of the year. It's very rare for us western BSC teams to get a decent home-and-home against a CAA/MVFC/SoCon because we can't afford the travel.

SD, PLEASE tell me I'm wrong here....

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Super Hornet wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:13 pm
Dr. Mike:

THEORETICALLY, 7-4 CAN get it done, and it HAS been done in recent years, but I don't think either of us have the SOS to pull that off. Like many of our fellow BSC schools, we have to get at least one of our "officially" OOC games another conference game, OR try to get a $$ game against a Pac-12 and risk a slaughterfest (unless we're lucky enough to get FCS-vulnerable Oregon State, whom we HAVE beaten) that can cripple us the rest of the year. It's very rare for us western BSC teams to get a decent home-and-home against a CAA/MVFC/SoCon because we can't afford the travel.

You're wrong. 7 D1 wins from a power conference (BSC is a FCS power conference) will get a playoff ticket. Especially since they are letting in 24 teams these days.

HornetHope

Post by HornetHope » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm

SDHornet wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm
Super Hornet wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:13 pm
Dr. Mike:

You're wrong. 7 D1 wins from a power conference (BSC is a FCS power conference) will get a playoff ticket. Especially since they are letting in 24 teams these days.
7 wins might get us in but head to head record against the schools on our schedule may keep us out if someone else has wins against teams with winning records.

Realistically I think we have to run the table to get in. However I think if we go 7-4, Sears will likely get a 1 year extension.
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi

Oldhornet23

Post by Oldhornet23 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 pm

7-4 you are in, likely taking 3rd in the Big Sky, 4 teams from Big Sky got in last year.

DrMike

Post by DrMike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 am

last year, Poly and Weber got in at 7-4. they were in the top 4 in the Big Sky. Poly had OOC wins over San Diego and South Dakota State, the later a really nice win. Weber was 1-2 in the OOC, but 6-2 in the Big Sky. if Davis finished 7-4 (and let me reiterate, that's a BIG IF), we'd be 5-3 in Big Sky, with OOC vs San Diego and Portland, which is likely bid-worthy. Your 7-4 would be like Weber's -> 6-2 in the BSC which would certainly be bid-worthy.

kind of fun to speculate about bids after six games, huh?

Green Laser

Post by Green Laser » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm

DrMike wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46 am
last year, Poly and Weber got in at 7-4. they were in the top 4 in the Big Sky. Poly had OOC wins over San Diego and South Dakota State, the later a really nice win. Weber was 1-2 in the OOC, but 6-2 in the Big Sky. if Davis finished 7-4 (and let me reiterate, that's a BIG IF), we'd be 5-3 in Big Sky, with OOC vs San Diego and Portland, which is likely bid-worthy. Your 7-4 would be like Weber's -> 6-2 in the BSC which would certainly be bid-worthy.

kind of fun to speculate about bids after six games, huh?
Great that both programs are on the rebound. The Causeway will hopefully be for more than bragging rights or to see which team will finish last in the BSC.

We have been waiting a long time for the Causeway result to be relevant in the BSC standings, I hope this is the year.

Can you imagine how many heads will explode in Montana and throughout the Big Sky if a championship or playoff berths are ever decided at the Causeway?

I am pleasantly surprised by the Hornet's performance so far. Hopefully they can clear the next obstacle at North Dakota on Saturday, they have not won a road game since 2014.

Super Hornet

Post by Super Hornet » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Thank you, SD. That is ONE opinion where I'm DEFINITELY glad to be wrong.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Super Hornet wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:36 pm
Based on some posts around the web, it's looking like 7-4 will be a tough sell to get an at-large bid. A lot of other conferences are looking at multiple 8+ win teams, including potentially 3 8+ win teams in the BSC.

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:22 pm

SDHornet wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:51 pm
Super Hornet wrote:
Based on some posts around the web, it's looking like 7-4 will be a tough sell to get an at-large bid.
Is 7-4 good for a Sears extension? He is also fighting for his job each game, that is good incentive.

Oldhornet23

Post by Oldhornet23 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Green Cookie Monster wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:22 pm
SDHornet wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:51 pm
Super Hornet wrote:
Based on some posts around the web, it's looking like 7-4 will be a tough sell to get an at-large bid.
Is 7-4 good for a Sears extension? He is also fighting for his job each game, that is good incentive.
Of course it is good enough, this whole team returns next season! What a turn around, anyone that has seen this play each game would say this is a much improved football team. If you have Thomson vs NAU expect 8-3

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:03 am

I want this to be as messy as possible for the idiot BSC. A couple of upsets and two Hornet victories could result in 4 teams (5?) sharing the Conference Crown.

They’ll have to resort to tiebreakers to determine the autobid, and you would have 1 or two “conference champs” on the outside looking in come playoff time.