Week 4: Sac State at Montana

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
Thehornet21

Re: Week 4: Sac State at Montana

Post by Thehornet21 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 pm

This is why it’s so hard to get a great following with Sac State .. can’t finish .. any Defense today they win .. one guy had a clear pick 6 but drops the ball .. you want them to win so bad but they never get over the hump.

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Gawd awful freaking defense. Made this Snead kid look like a HOF'er. And he's not that good. Honestly, this Montana team isn't a great team by their own standards.

If the Hornets couldn't win today after getting off to such a fast start, you wonder if they'll ever win in Missoula.

The more talented team didn't win today. The Hornets have better talent. But Montana was the better team today because they made less mistakes and better coaching adjustments. Pure and simple.

The Hornets lost this game with penalties, undisciplined play on both sides of the ball, abysmal tackling, and poor adjustments.

The play I think really turned the game was Mister Harriel's dropped pick 6. If he catches it, the Hornets would have been up 7 with big momentum. Instead, the Griz got a FG out of the possession. Then, of course, allowed another TD just before the half that kept Montana within a score. Those are the things that have killed the Hornets in the past and it killed them again today.

Then in the 2nd half, the Hornets played marginally better defense and made some stops. But the offense went into self-destruct mode with penalty after penalty that stalled drive after drive.

Lastly, the lack of adjustments to spying the QB was ridiculous. How many times did Snead let the rush go past him on the outside and have a clear path up the middle? Where was the pressure up the middle or extra contain??

Obinna's absence certainly hurt, but the Hornet defense was capable of playing better than that.

Again, wasted opportunity for a talented Hornets team to make big progress. At the end of the day, it was the same ole same ole. And it's far past tiring. I'm so frustrated as I'm sure all of you are too.

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Thehornet21 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 pm
This is why it’s so hard to get a great following with Sac State .. can’t finish .. any Defense today they win .. one guy had a clear pick 6 but drops the ball .. you want them to win so bad but they never get over the hump.
You summed it up much better than I did. Exactly right. When will this program get over the HUGE hump? Today was their day and they blew it.

Hornet Fever

Post by Hornet Fever » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:34 pm

A dropped interception for a touchdown, a missed field goal and Montanas offense line getting away with holding penalties all day will get you beat in Montana. Unfortunately they had no answer for their gimmick quarterback. Otherwise it was a very entertaining and competitive game

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Thehornet21 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 pm
This. Just this.

Phantom Hornet

Post by Phantom Hornet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Story of this program. Talented, but any time it seems poised to make that leap juuuust can’t do. We will never see them win in Montana in our lifetime, lol.

Phantom Hornet

Post by Phantom Hornet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:51 pm

It does take a tiny amount of the sting away to hear Hauck say postgame that Sac was by far the best team they played this year. They’ve played Northen Iowa and Western Illinois.

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:01 pm

No disrespect to Jody Sears or even former head coaches Marshall Sperbeck, John Volek, etc but the Hornets program really needs to find a coach that can instill discipline & consistency in their players. Or Sears needs to figure out how to get it done himself before it's too late.

I get that having talent is the biggest part of the game & something the Hornets haven't always had. So props to Jody Sears & his staff for the players they've recruited the past few years. But the one constant I've seen watching the Hornets the past 20+ years is that when they do have a talented team, they seem to lack the ability to finish largely due to focus & discipline. The programs they can't seem to beat always seem to be better in that regard, even when they don't have the better talent.

Until the Hornets program can get that corrected, games like today will continue to be the norm. They simply have to stop beating themselves -- which is exactly what they did today. Montana is a good program that will generally take advantage of any help the opposition gives them.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:27 pm

41-34 Hornet loss. Buckeye pretty much nailed the summary of this game. Hornet D wasn’t prepared for the Griz read option and pretty much had a no show today. That along with the halftime adjustments (or lack thereof on the Hornet side) allowed UM to outplay (and clearly out coach) the Hornets in the 2nd half. Hornets had the better talent, UM had the better coaches.

I agree with K, this game had HUGE playoff implications. IMO, Hornets pretty much have to run the table from here on out just to have a shot at post season play.

I’ve already heard some spin from folks claiming this really wasn’t a playoffs or bust type of season :roll: …let’s see if any of that nonsense actually makes it to this board from the Sears fanbois that lurk this site.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Brootgrizr

Post by Brootgrizr » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:16 pm

The officiating stunk all day. Both sides were constantly holding and there was never a call. As a Griz fan it seemed like there should have been at least one targeting call and I think interference calls were missed on both teams. Alas, that seems to be the Big Sky norm.

You got a guy that can sure the heck run and great catches were made all day. You might cut the team some slack on the offside penalties, the stadium is REALLY loud and throws off most teams that play there.

Good luck the rest of the year... Unless we meet again.

Hornet Fever

Post by Hornet Fever » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:07 pm

It is funny that a grizzly fan comes onto our site complaining about how bad the officiating was for both teams. This coming from a fan in which his team only had 3 penalties all day and none on the offense side of the ball. Basically their offense never started in a negative position due to no penalties. I guess the officials went on coffee break or better yet were hitting the beer keg when the grizzly’s offense took the field as it was clear that they missed calls on the grizzly’s offense.

I don’t have a problem when the game is called bad on both sides all day. But when they start calling penalties when the game is coming down to the wire on one team and not the other it gets very frustrating as a fan. I think the Hornet’s started 3 of their last 5 drives negatively because of penalties. I do agree that some of the penalties were self induced because of the false starts. But the one that stood out to me that was highly questionable was the chop block on Dotson. Regarding the targeting call, it was clear that Mister did not lead with his helmet and he led with his shoulder so it was the right call. The officials did review and backed up the call.

Crazy grizzly fans they live in their own little world!!!

josephpoint

Post by josephpoint » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Another frustrating loss as everyone has of course stated at Montana. So many games up there and so close so many times.

Curious about the 21 games played between Sac State and Montana. Seems like the majority of those games have been played at Montana . Think I read some where that we have went to Montana for the last three times the two teams have played.

Any info. about that?

Super Hornet
Admin

Post by Super Hornet » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:30 pm

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:01 pm
No disrespect to Jody Sears or even former head coaches Marshall Sperbeck, John Volek, etc but the Hornets program really needs to find a coach that can instill discipline & consistency in their players.
Angus McClure....