Week 6: Sac State vs Cal Poly

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Cal Poly 1-4 (0-2) come to Hornet Stadium fresh off of a couple of blowout losses at EWU 70-17 and at home to Montana 48-28. The Mustangs lone win was at home to Brown (Ivy League) 44-15, who also happens to be the only unranked team on CP’s schedule up to this point in the season.

CP’s triple option attack has been 87% run so far, with almost half of those carries going to FB Joe Protheroe (148 car, 660 yds, 7 TDs) which accounts for 45% of CPs rush yards on the season. Four other players account for the other half of CPs rushing game, with QB Khaleel Jenkins (75 car, 203 yds, 2 TDs) having the 2nd most on the team. CP’s passing stats are too laughable to post, but they have yet to hit 500 yards on the season.

The Mustang defense is bad and a far cry from the stout defenses they had when they were contending for playoff berths. The CP defense has allowed 41.2 ppg and 273.6 ypg on the ground and 199.6 ypg through the air. They have faced some tough opponents, but were only able to keep it close against a Weber State team that was still finding their stride early in the season.

The Hornets need to win this game, and should do so unless they beat themselves. The Hornet offense should be able to put up plenty of points, and the defense needs to rebound from a horrid performance 2 weeks ago and live up to the early season hype. Hornets by 17+.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Green Cookie Monster

Re: Week 6: Sac State vs Cal Poly

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:01 am

Stupid prevent defense the second half lets CP back into the game for a needless nailbiter.

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Looks like Bryant Perkinson returns this week following three weeks off after that crushing hit he took at the goal line against UNC.

SloStang

Post by SloStang » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:53 pm

I wish I could come on here and talk confidently about Cal Poly, but after last season and the start of this season I can not. I am just hoping the team has not given up on the season and show up and make this a game. I can not make it up for the game but will be watching on Pluto TV.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:09 pm

41-27 loss. Season is effectively over. The Hornets were out coached and out played, which is very embarrassing considering they were coming off a bye to a team that was struggling to put up points and stop opponents.

Offense had a great start with a TD on the first 2 drives, then flipped the off switch. Lots of drops by WRs, and gawd awful situational play calling. Dotson with another amazing effort that was wasted. No 2nd half TDs until garbage time against CPs prevent.

Defense looked like they never saw a triple option before. Zero discipline that gave up huge plays to CP. All around a poor performance no matter how you look at it.

Special teams got in the action too with a missed FG, a botched hold/snap (not sure which one) on another FG and giving up a PR TD (turning point in the game).

Well I was wrong about this team and program in a major way. The Hornets just aren’t as good as advertised; especially on the defensive side. Figured with all that was returning coming off a good season this program would finally turn it around contend for something meaningful. Guess not…but at least Sears got his contract though…

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:10 pm

SloStang wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:53 pm
I wish I could come on here and talk confidently about Cal Poly, but after last season and the start of this season I can not. I am just hoping the team has not given up on the season and show up and make this a game. I can not make it up for the game but will be watching on Pluto TV.
Congrats Slo, this game wasn't really that close after that PR TD. CP outcoached and outplayed the Hornets from the jump.

Hornet99

Post by Hornet99 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:14 pm

This loss is absolutely inexcusable! When you have a talented/veteran team and you lose to a 1-4 team at home, COACHES are to be blamed! Absolutely terrible coaching (unprepared/unmotivated players)! #FireCoachSears ASAP

SloStang

Post by SloStang » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:15 pm

SDHornet wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:10 pm
SloStang wrote:
Congrats Slo, this game wasn't really that close after that PR TD. CP outcoached and outplayed the Hornets from the jump.
Thanks SD. Best of luck the rest of the season.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 pm

SloStang wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:15 pm
SDHornet wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:10 pm
SloStang wrote:
Thanks SD. Best of luck the rest of the season.
To you and CP as well.

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Hornet99 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:14 pm
This loss is absolutely inexcusable! When you have a talented/veteran team and you lose to a 1-4 team at home, COACHES are to be blamed! Absolutely terrible coaching (unprepared/unmotivated players)! #FireCoachSears ASAP
He was just re-upped. Sears ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Hornet99

Post by Hornet99 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:53 pm

How many years? 2? If so, they can get rid of him

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:26 am

SDHornet wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:09 pm
41-27 loss. Season is effectively over. The Hornets were out coached and out played, which is very embarrassing considering they were coming off a bye to a team that was struggling to put up points and stop opponents.

Offense had a great start with a TD on the first 2 drives, then flipped the off switch. Lots of drops by WRs, and gawd awful situational play calling. Dotson with another amazing effort that was wasted. No 2nd half TDs until garbage time against CPs prevent.

Defense looked like they never saw a triple option before. Zero discipline that gave up huge plays to CP. All around a poor performance no matter how you look at it.

Special teams got in the action too with a missed FG, a botched hold/snap (not sure which one) on another FG and giving up a PR TD (turning point in the game).

Well I was wrong about this team and program in a major way. The Hornets just aren’t as good as advertised; especially on the defensive side. Figured with all that was returning coming off a good season this program would finally turn it around contend for something meaningful. Guess not…but at least Sears got his contract though…
So glad I loaded up the whole family for “Kids Day” to watch this sh1tshow (terrible job by promotions staff btw). My wife was not surprised at the poor performance as she listens to my “this is the year” chatter every few years or so, only to be let down. At least I was able to indoctrinate my boys with the level of disappointment expected when following Sac State sports.

OldSchoolHornet

Post by OldSchoolHornet » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:01 pm

Can't say with absolute certainty, but I'm fairly sure it was a three year deal. I'm positive the new AD is not going to fire Sears right after giving it him. Having said that, I'm deeply disappointed with how this season is going. I haven't had that "this is going to be the year" feeling in a long time, but I thought this was going to be the year. No excuse for the outcome of the last two games.

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:02 pm

They just have to finish 6-0 and they could get an at large bid!

bigrat33

Post by bigrat33 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm

I felt and have felt that we need to pass a little more. We've so much talent at receiver. Could easily be the greatest show on turf. With better pass protection, we should put up points easy. In regards to drops, I don't recall seeing a whole lot. Maybe 2

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:42 am

Good 'ol Suck State!
Same o, same o for football.
At least we can look forward to another .412 year in Basketball and being the 11th seed in the BSC tourney.

Green Cookie Monster

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:43 am

Kadeezy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:02 pm
Yeah, that will happen. cough/cough
UCD is going to demolish this team later this year.

aggiemba

Post by aggiemba » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Green Cookie Monster wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:43 am
Kadeezy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:02 pm
Yeah, that will happen. cough/cough
UCD is going to demolish this team later this year.
:shock: Wow I don't think I've ever seen that statement on this board before.

SochorField

Post by SochorField » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 pm

What the heck happened?
Sac had an entire bye week to get ready for the triple option - the best scenario for any team.
.....462 yards rushing @ 6.6 per carry????
Unacceptable. I would be mad too.

Don't worry Sac fans, we felt the exact same after 4 years of Ron Gould (12-33). It can be turned around...just not till Nov. 18th