Troy Taylor Named Head Coach

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
BuckeyeHornetFan

Re: Troy Taylor Named Head Coach

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 pm

Super Hornet wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:09 pm
I may be alone in this, but I am NOT happy with this hire....
HornetHope wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:49 pm
Who was your pick? I like Troy, and think this is a huge direction change. P5 offensive coordinator, doing some really great things. Don’t think Saban applied....
Yeah, color me curious as to what you don't like about it? Were you just married to the idea of McClure or Osterhout, as some Hornet fans were? If not, what is it about Taylor that you are unhappy about?

I don't pretend to know how this will turn out. However, I'm excited that the Hornets now have a vetted offensive guru in what's known as a pass-happy offensive league. They were behind the 8 ball and now they are on the same playing field in terms of offensive coaching IMO.

Obviously there's still a lot that has to go right. Taylor needs to assemble the right staff and recruit the right kids for his vision. But I like the potential in this hire.

GreenArmySwarm

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 am

I understand there will never be a "perfect hire" but this is pretty close to it. I strongly believe that the only reason we got a Coach like Taylor with an *active* PAC12 pedigree (technically speaking, both Sears and Wulf had* PAC12 experience but it wasn't active when we got them) is because of his ties to the city. Most P5 Coordinators (OC/DC) would only accept a HC role within the FBS ranks so sign me up for this move all day, everyday, and twice on Saturday. :nod:

With that said, let's talk about the filling out of the rest of the coaching staff because that's the thing that actually matters...
1. Do we think most of Sears staff will be retained?
2. If so, which positions/who?
3. Do we think that the recruits we're battling other schools for are going to cross SAC off because Sears is no longer there (also, cuz of the horrid season we just had) or just now moved SAC to the top of their list because of Taylor's hiring and PAC12 pedigree?

Let's hear it folks!

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Did I hear correctly that Taylor negotiated an
8 year contract, guaranteed?! Lol

Anyone know contract details?

ChiCity

Post by ChiCity » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:58 pm

Kadeezy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:24 pm

I did hear that he got his buyout from Utah so that helps with his total salary. He's also reached out to other Pac12 staff to come here and make things happen.

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Kadeezy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:24 pm

According to the recent SacBee article, it's a 7-year contract. But no amount was listed.
https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article223268570.html

To get a coach of Taylor's pedigree and potential, they were going to have to make the job enticing. The good news is, if Taylor does work out as we all hope, he's not going to leave for greener pastures any time soon (unless there is an opt out we don't know about).

Phantom Hornet

Post by Phantom Hornet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:39 pm

God dammit!! I was honestly out on this program and feeling great about this decision. No more $$$, no more nothing...

And just as I was about to lock the door, Orr and Nelson had to go ahead and shoot for the moon. Whether it works out or not, thank god someone had the balls to finally try and make a big boy move. You got my attention (not that it's worth a lick).

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:56 pm

If anyone didn't get a chance to see or hear it, here's Coach Taylor's introductory PC. After watching it, I can tell you that I'm excited for next season and beyond!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... A_K3maQJvE

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Phantom Hornet wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:39 pm
God dammit!! I was honestly out on this program and feeling great about this decision. No more $$$, no more nothing...

And just as I was about to lock the door, Orr and Nelson had to go ahead and shoot for the moon. Whether it works out or not, thank god someone had the balls to finally try and make a big boy move. You got my attention (not that it's worth a lick).
Every fan is worth a lick! Can't ever have enough of them. I'm glad to hear you're still on board.

I'd love to see a day 3-5 years from now when there is a ton of interest in the program and on boards like this one and we'll be telling the bandwagoners about the old days when nobody was wanted to talk Hornet football!

ChiCity

Post by ChiCity » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:00 pm

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:56 pm
If anyone didn't get a chance to see or hear it, here's Coach Taylor's introductory PC. After watching it, I can tell you that I'm excited for next season and beyond!

I agree 100% on this. Wants to keep everone else in the league on their toes. I like it!

Super Hornet
Admin

Post by Super Hornet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:11 pm

HornetHope wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:49 pm
Super Hornet wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:09 pm
I may be alone in this, but I am NOT happy with this hire....
Who was your pick? I like Troy, and think this is a huge direction change. P5 offensive coordinator, doing some really great things. Don’t think Saban applied....
I think I posted my list in another thread, but here it is again....

1. McClure
2. Osterhout
3. Pielstick
4. UTEP OC Mike Canales
5. Volek

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:59 pm

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Excellent presser. Taylor is going to coach Utah through their bowl game. Will give his DC full autonomy over the defense. He kind of hinted that a good amount of the staff will be kept on board (for now). Plenty of other good "coachisms" dropped as well. I like it, time to get excited.

:nod: :clap:
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

HornetHope

Post by HornetHope » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks Buckeye for posting the presser. By definition it would have to be a long term contract with some sweeteners to make it work. I noted he did a classy thing and was gracious to Sears. I am glad to finally hear how key the QB role is to success. I am more excited about the things to come in this program! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:59 am

HornetHope wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:08 pm
Thanks Buckeye for posting the presser. By definition it would have to be a long term contract with some sweeteners to make it work. I noted he did a classy thing and was gracious to Sears. I am glad to finally hear how key the QB role is to success. I am more excited about the things to come in this program! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You got it! It's about time we all have something to get excited about!

Given that one of Coach Taylor's strong suits is developing QB's, I think it'll be interesting to see what he might be able to do with Kevin Thomson returning as a 5th year guy. Also excited that Obinna and Medeiros are coming back.

But I'm most excited to see how Elijah Dotson fits in to Taylor's system. Zack Moss was a 1K rusher w/ double digit scores the past 2 seasons in Taylor's offense. I think Dotson could perform even better this upcoming season.

HornetHope

Post by HornetHope » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:07 pm

:+1:
Phantom Hornet wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Yep, got a President and AD that both want to win. Given the prior year I do not think we are short on player talent. :+1:
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi

Hammerhead Dad

Post by Hammerhead Dad » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:17 am

Great hire by Mark Orr. We wish Troy Taylor all the best to bring a tradition of winning to the Hornets.
Green Pride! Gold Lightning!

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 am

:clap:
Hammerhead Dad wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:17 am
Great hire by Mark Orr. We wish Troy Taylor all the best to bring a tradition of winning to the Hornets.

EventCenterNow

Post by EventCenterNow » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:24 am

I better get my two cents in on the Troy Taylor hiring. I'm actually pleased with him coming to Sac State. He comes in with Division I coaching experience and knows the Sacramento football scene really well. It will be interesting to see who he brings in as far as coaches and players, but I am encouraged that Mark Orr and Robert Nelsen hired a coach that has what it takes to move the Hornet football program in the right direction. To steal a line from Kevin Johnson, I say the following: "LET'S DO THIS, SACRAMENTO!"

GreenArmySwarm

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 pm

Sooo...Kevin Thomson got his waiver approved and now has two more years of eligibility. I honestly can't tell if this is a good thing or bad. Leaning with good for the moment. :nod:

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:12 pm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 pm
Sooo...Kevin Thomson got his waiver approved and now has two more years of eligibility. I honestly can't tell if this is a good thing or bad. Leaning with good for the moment. :nod:
I think it’s only one additional year. So 2019 season would be his last no matter what.

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:20 pm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 pm
I think it's a good thing. Assuming Thomson is healthy, he gives Coach Taylor an experienced, Senior QB to work with during his 1st season. And we all know how good Taylor is mentoring QB's. I'd expect Thomson to have a good year. And it also gives the next QB up in 2020 (a less experienced guy) a full year and a half to learn under Taylor before taking the reins of the offense.

I think it could be a win-win situation.