Week 4 - Sac State @ Fresno State

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
GreenArmySwarm

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:29 am

Before we jump into this game, it looks like after taking down 18th ranked Michigan State in East Lancing, ASU is now ranked 24th in the country. That makes the Hornet extremely tight loss in Tempe even more impressive. The Defense is already where it needs to be, barring injuries, this D should absolutely make some noise. The offense is what I’m more concerned about. It’s difficult to adjust from throwing to 5’4” receivers and 6’3” tight ends one play after another, so I hope Thomson can adapt before we get into this murderous stretch of Big Sky play!!
Last edited by SDHornet on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: *Week 4

GreenArmySwarm

Re: Week 3 - Sac State vs Fresno State

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:32 am

If we can get out of the the next 6 games at least 3-3, I’d consider it a huge win! And I’d bet we would be in the STAT Top 25 if 3-3 is what we end up with!

Super Hornet
Admin

Re: Week 4 - Sac State @ Fresno State

Post by Super Hornet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:24 pm

I fully expect to be 3-1 following the Fresneck game next week....

GreenArmySwarm

Re: Week 3 - Sac State vs Fresno State

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:51 pm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:32 am
If we can get out of the the next 6 games at least 3-3, I’d consider it a huge win! And I’d bet we would be in the STAT Top 25 if 3-3 is what we end up with!
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... three-ajaj

Looks like Brian McLaughlin, one of the more engaged FCS Top 25 STAT voter, just put the Hornets in at at 25 in this week poll! Stingers up!!!

SDHornet

Post by SDHornet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:07 pm

The Hornets (2-1) head to the Central Valley to face a Fresno State (0-2) team that is coming off of a bye week thinking about what could have been. Fresno State won the Mountain West in 2018 and was selected to win it again in 2019. They opened the season by rallying from a 4th quarter deficit at USC only to have the potentially tying TD pass intercepted in the endzone to seal a 31-23 loss (highlights). The following week FSU squandered a 4th quarter lead at home to Minnesota and had the game winning pass intercepted in the endzone in double OT to lose 38-35 (highlights).

The Bulldog offense runs a read option/spread. QB Jorge Reyna (43/74, 544 yds, 5 TD, 3 INT, 31 car, 69 yds, 1 TD) leads the offense and has playmaking RB Ronnie Rivers (29 car, 129 yds, 9 cat, 71 yds, 2 TD) beside him in the backfield. Reyna has a trio of WRs that he has distributed the ball to pretty evenly in Derrion Grimm (7 cat, 168 yds, 1 TD) Zane Pope (9 cat, 109 yds), and Chris Coleman (6 cat, 104 yds, 1 TD). Overall, FSU has a very balanced offensive attack.

The Fresno State defense runs a base 4-3 and was the 17th best FBS defense in 2018, but have struggled through the first 2 weeks of the season. The Bulldogs have given up 34.5 points/game, 413.5 yards/game (160.5 rush/ 253.0 pass), but have forced 7 turnovers. LBs Mykal Walker (24 tkl, 1 TFL) and Justin Rice (21 tkl, 1 TFL, 1 sack) lead the defense.

The Hornets will have their hands full in this one and FSU coming into this one off of a bye won’t make things easier. If the Hornet defense can keep playing at a high level and contain Ronnie Rivers then the Hornets might have a chance in this one as Reyna has been prone to making some bad decisions so far this season.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

HornetHope

Post by HornetHope » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Super Hornet wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:24 pm
Ok if we had not missed on the Field goals and PAT you would be less than 7 from calling the score. What did you see that you are calling this?
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi

Super Hornet
Admin

Post by Super Hornet » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:31 pm

HornetHope wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:19 pm
Super Hornet wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:24 pm
Ok if we had not missed on the Field goals and PAT you would be less than 7 from calling the score. What did you see that you are calling this?
We'll work on the mistakes this week. Also, Fresneck is NOT Danny White U. They are MUCH more susceptible to the "scalp," as some CS wags so aptly put it. Thomson is going to go wild....

GreenArmySwarm

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 am

I'm really cautious about this game. Well...more optimistically cautious. For the past decade or so, oddly, the Hornets has always been better against PAC12 opponents rather than G5. Obviously, a chance to win would be huge! Fresno State is coming off a bye week after losing by a shoe-string to USC and Minnesota. Remember, this was the team that won the Mountain West last year and was picked again to win it this year. If we're losing by 3 TDs after the 3rd, it might be time to bring out the reserves. Even though we're walking into a bye week after this game, we need to come out healthy because look at the Big Sky play for the Hornets...

vs EWU (Ranked 11)
@ Montana St (Ranked 8)
vs Montana (Ranked 19)
@ Cal Poly (beat a ranked San Diego team)
vs Weber State (Ranked 6)
@ NAU (receiving votes in top-25 rankings)
@ Idaho (not so good this year...but the Hornets have historically struggled against them)
vs Davis (Ranked 4 :/)

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:45 pm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:49 am
Even though we're walking into a bye week after this game, we need to come out healthy because look at the Big Sky play for the Hornets...

vs EWU (Ranked 11)
@ Montana St (Ranked 8)
vs Montana (Ranked 19)
@ Cal Poly (beat a ranked San Diego team)
vs Weber State (Ranked 6)
@ NAU (receiving votes in top-25 rankings)
@ Idaho (not so good this year...but the Hornets have historically struggled against them)
vs Davis (Ranked 4 :/)

Toughest FCS schedule according to some. If the Hornets manage to win 5, it should be considered a great 1st season for Coach Taylor. But I’m greedily hoping for 8-4 and a playoff birth, as unrealistic as that might be.....

Green Laser

Post by Green Laser » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Fresno State Coach Jeff Tedford's press conference, compliments the Hornets and the coaching staff.

https://gobulldogs.com/news/2019/9/16/f ... pt-21.aspx

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:04 pm

Green Laser wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:28 pm
Fresno State Coach Jeff Tedford's press conference, compliments the Hornets and the coaching staff.

https://gobulldogs.com/news/2019/9/16/f ... pt-21.aspx
Thanks for posting.

I know a lot of the praise is coach speak in an effort not to disrespect and/or fire up the opponent, but I lost count how many times Coach Tedford said "They play really hard".

One of the reporters asked about Fresno State TE Jared Rice. I fully remember the Rice brothers at Central Catholic-Modesto. I had forgotten they played down at FSU. I sure hope Jared doesn't pick this week to produce a breakout game this season.

Hopefully the Hornets defense can continue to be as stingy as they've been the first three games. And hopefully the offense picks it up and gets off to a better start than they have the past 2 games.

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Where’s everyone at? It’s 20-20 with 12:05 remaining in the game. The Hornets are hanging around!

Hope they can pull it off!

BSCfan

Post by BSCfan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:56 pm

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:49 pm
Where’s everyone at? It’s 20-20 with 12:05 remaining in the game. The Hornets are hanging around!

Sitting at home here in Washington watching the game. (And trying not to lose my $#it about my kid having his PAT blocked earlier in the game. Made my stomach turn because I know he's better than that. 😒)

GreenArmySwarm

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:08 pm

What a terrible “no-catch” call. The refs just blindly called because they couldn’t see it. That might just have decided the game if D can’t get the ball back

GreenArmySwarm

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:11 pm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:08 pm
What a terrible “no-catch” call. The refs just blindly called because they couldn’t see it. That might just have decided the game if D can’t get the ball back
Yup, the refs just decided the game

GreenArmySwarm

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:14 pm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:11 pm
GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Yup, the refs just decided the game
You can’t make that kind of call at that juncture of the game. The refs should be embarrassed of themselves.

Kadeezy

Post by Kadeezy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:59 pm

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:49 pm

At the game! Hornets just had no answer for Hokit, but absolutely love the way the team competed! Looked like we avoided any major injuries? Looked like Thomson’s throws tailed off towards the end of the game, hope he’s okay!

BuckeyeHornetFan

Post by BuckeyeHornetFan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:15 pm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
I don’t know whether he caught it or not, but I agree with you that the officials looked undecided and just guessed. I always thought that, unless they felt they clearly saw it trapped, they erred on the side of a catch. Oh well.

Both teams left a lot of plays out there. Obviously FSU will point to the missed FG’s. But the Hornets made lots of mistakes too.

I thought the 3rd and 24 conversion by FSU when the Hornets defense suddenly stopped attacking was a huge swing. Also thought the defense played well but ultimately got worn down the 2nd half because the offense couldn’t stay on the field.

That FB playing RB really isn’t very good and won’t sustain against legit FBS defenses as he’s not skillful or fast enough. But tonight, against a smaller defense that was tiring fast, he excelled. The Hornets were tackling too high and we’re just physically spent.

This team is definitely improved and a lot more fun to watch. And I’m sure they’ll continue to improve the rest of this season and beyond as Coach Taylor and staff continue to add their types of players via future recruitment classes.

But with regard to tonight’s game, my only real gripe with the offense is not getting the ball in Elijah Dotson’s hands more. Too much passing on 1st down. Dotson went from a 1000 yard + rusher to almost nothing. It’s nice that he’s catching a lot of balls, but they’ve got to find a way to run it more with him IMO.

Now, I think Dotson might be dinged up a bit, which might be contributing to the lack of touches. But still, FSU opened up the flood gates with their pass rush on early downs expecting the Hornets to sling it. How many times did they get a hand on him or the ball while he was in the pocket? Gotta protect Thomson a little more with the play calling.

Gotta find a little bit more balance, I believe, and get the ball in #33 and #84’s hands more frequently.

All that said, it was a great effort by Sac State and it certainly didn’t go unnoticed by the FSU announcers.

BSCfan

Post by BSCfan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:00 am

Oh boy...so the "coach" in me decided to look at the video and I saw something really interesting and concerning on Kyle's blocked PAT. First I timed it with my stopwatch and the get off time was fine. Then I was able to grab some screenshots and found a big red flag. Check out the gap between the Long Snapper and Left Guard. It's like the parting of the Red Sea! #90 from Fresno State was through that gap before the snapper could even rise and block!

Green Laser

Post by Green Laser » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:07 am

Another great effort, can't wait to see what these guys will do in the BSC! Hopefully we can use the bye to clean things up before EWU.
There was a lot of penalties tonight. We had 147 yards in penalties tonight to Fresno State's 61 which didn't help.
The kicking game has also been inconsistent this year which could cost us down the road. This team is going to surprise a lot of people this year, it going to be a fun ride!