Week 8 - Sac State vs Montana (HOMECOMING Edition)!

Get the skinny on Hornet Football and the FCS
GreenArmySwarm

Sorry, too excited so we're talking about this the day after week 7! :lol:
GreenArmySwarm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:08 am
Sorry, too excited so we're talking about this the day after week 7! :lol:
"The only bad notes were another missed PAT and it looks like Isaiah Gable had a major knee injury. There were a few other injuries but they didn’t look too bad."

The Gable injury might end up being a big deal. It looks like it was a very serious one. If anyone has an update on his injury, please share! Gable has developed into Thomson's favorite target this year. And he's the guy who's been the big-play threat that stretches the field for the rushing game. I know other players will step up, as it looks like Cotton took a lot of Gable's snaps. Still...the injury bug...plz, not again...
Kadeezy

Let’s goooooooooo!!!!
Phantom Hornet

Kadeezy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:21 am
Let’s goooooooooo!!!!
Honestly never been more excited for a non Causeway Sac State game before. Rounding up a ton of people to tailgate for Saturday.
Kadeezy

Phantom Hornet wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:54 pm
Kadeezy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:21 am
Let’s goooooooooo!!!!
Honestly never been more excited for a non Causeway Sac State game before. Rounding up a ton of people to tailgate for Saturday.

Actually secured a sitter so we can go early, check out campus updates and indulge in public drinking lol...
EventCenterNow

After two big wins against two traditionally tough opponents (I was at the Eastern Washington game and came out of Hornet Stadium one happy guy), I say let's keep the good fortunes going. I also attended Montana's game at UC Davis and the Grizzlies struck early and often. So I expect another tough contest, but I feel Sac State is up to the challenge. STINGERS UP SACRAMENTO!
Green Cookie Monster

I've seen this game go so many ways, not usually in our favor. Would be nice to have 14,000 and a win on Homecoming.

Does this just show how inept Sears was or how good Taylor is? Basically the same players.
GreenArmySwarm

Green Cookie Monster wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:37 am
I've seen this game go so many ways, not usually in our favor. Would be nice to have 14,000 and a win on Homecoming.

Does this just show how inept Sears was or how good Taylor is? Basically the same players.
I think injuries killed Sears' shot at any chance at a successful season. Plus, at this level, you really need creative offensive play calling to be successful, and Sears was not about that. Plus, Taylor really is THAT good. He's a proven winner at every level, and if your stuff works at a P5 Conference (Utah), it'll work at any lower level. Which is a topic I'm sure all of us die-hard has lingering in the back of our heads. If we have a dramatic turn around 9-2 / 8-3 (knocking on wood that I'm not jinxing anything as I am also just trying to live in the moment and "savor" everything), does a PAC12/MWC school comes knocking?? If Taylor is gone, this whole staff is gone with him because grant it, he's taking peeps with him. There's also a chance that other FBS schools will poach our DC Andy Thomson...but we can talk about all of this on a different post...:coffee:

Regarding Montana, this game is EXTREMELY tricky for us because our weakness (Defensive Back/CB play) will be up against theirs strength (QB/WR deep balls threat). Our only hope is that our D-Line continues to do what they do and put so much pressure on their QB that they won't have time to accurately throw the ball... :?
Kadeezy

I said this on eGriz, but Dalton Sneed scares me. He’s so streaky - elusive, and just a hard to bring down bombchucker. I trust this staff 7 weeks in to have the team prepared.

This is pretty much the biggest game in Hornet History come Saturday, I hope the boys will be ready.
BSCfan

Yeah...if game day could hurry up and get here, that'd be greeeeaaattt...
GreenArmySwarm

Just curious, now I, like everyone else wants nothing more than to see the Hornets run the table the rest of the year...but if you had to choose between beating
A) Montana this week
B) Weber
C) Davis in the Causeway
...which would it be?
Kadeezy

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:05 pm
Just curious, now I, like everyone else wants nothing more than to see the Hornets run the table the rest of the year...but if you had to choose between beating
A) Montana this week
B) Weber
C) Davis in the Causeway
...which would it be?
As much as I hate Davis, Montana this week. Biggest impact on voters, biggest consideration at playoff selection time.

No matter what, we’re going into week 8, and we only have 3 DI wins, lots of work to do!
BuckeyeHornetFan

Kadeezy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:28 pm
No matter what, we’re going into week 8, and we only have 3 DI wins, lots of work to do!
Another way to look at it is, we’re only half way through the 12 game season. Still have 6 games left to get more D1 wins.

Would 4-2 get it done?
Kadeezy

BuckeyeHornetFan wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:34 pm
Kadeezy wrote:
Another way to look at it is, we’re only half way through the 12 game season. Still have 6 games left to get more D1 wins.

Would 4-2 get it done?
I think we have to at least finish 4-2 to get in. We need to take out UM or Weber as one of those four too IMO.
BuckeyeHornetFan

Kadeezy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:51 am
BuckeyeHornetFan wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:34 pm
Kadeezy wrote:

Would 4-2 get it done?
I think we have to at least finish 4-2 to get in. We need to take out UM or Weber as one of those four too IMO.
I fear you might be right. Might need to beat both.

It’s just cool, however, that were even talking about this as if it’s a real possibility. And, right now, it seems to be.
HornetHope

BSCfan wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:17 pm
KS listed as kicker this week in the 2 Deep?
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
Vince Lombardi
BSCfan

HornetHope wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:58 pm
BSCfan wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:17 pm
KS listed as kicker this week in the 2 Deep?
I saw that...the past few weeks it's said him OR Devon Medeiros and this week it says 48 is the man. Wish I had a better answer, I haven't touched base with him in a couple of days. It's weird, wanting my kid to NOT get in a game to help preserve his redshirt. But he does have 2 more he can play in this year and still keep it so I'd suspect #92 gets the start and #48 will be ready if the team needs him to go. Personally, I just want this week to hurry up and be done so game day will finally arrive! I don't have the history of following the program for as long as many here have but so far this has been an awesome ride and I want it to keep going as long and as far as it can go!

Stingers up!
Kadeezy

It would be cool if the Ticket Office could give an update on tickets sold for Saturday’s game. Might help built excitement. Don’t necessarily need to know the exact amount, but would be fun to know “we’re at XXX% of tickets sold through Wednesday of the EWU game.”

SD, you got contacts?
SDHornet

Week 8 - Sac State vs Montana

The 15th ranked Hornets (4-2, 2-0 BSC) host the 5th ranked Montana Grizzlies (5-1, 2-0 BSC) who are coming to Sacramento off of a bye week. Neither team has an FCS loss this season. UM has looked very strong this season with their lone loss coming at 15th ranked Oregon, 35-3 (highlights) in week 3 and have opened up conference play with dominating wins at then 4th ranked davis, 45-20 and at home against a surprising Idaho State 59-20.

UM’s offense runs a lot of spread and misdirection/read option and they have the athletes to make big plays. UM’s offense is currently ranked 4th in FCS: 41.0 ppg (4th), 496.2 ypg, 166.2 rush ypg (50th), 330.0 pass ypg (T-6th). Dual threat QB Dalton Sneed (159/234, 1,879 yds, 15 TD, 4 INT, 59 car, 199 yds, 4 TD) leads the offense. Sneed is the hottest QB in the Big Sky at the moment, and he is a good decision maker and does an excellent job of getting the ball into the hands of their playmakers. UM has a trio of WRs that have propelled this offense to the top of FCS. Samuel Akem (50 rec, 570 yds, 3 TD), Samori Toure (34 rec, 539 yds, 3 TD) and Jerry Louie-McGee (32 rec, 285 yds, 3 TD) have torched secondaries this season. RB Marcus Knight (94 car, 447 yds, 8 TD, 14 rec, 104 yds, 1 TD) has carried the load out of the backfield.

It looks like UM mixes in some 3 front looks on defense, but have struggled against the pass but have kept opponents off the scoreboard. The Griz defense is currently ranked 80th in FCS: 22.7 ppg (29th), 420.7 ypg, 124.5 rush ypg (30th), 296.2 pass ypg (114th). LB Dante Olson (69 tkl, 4.5 TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT) leads the defense alongside coaches’ son S Robby Hauck (58 tkl, 2 TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT).

UM’s special teams have been solid this season. K Brandon Purdy is 6/8 on the year with one miss being from 50 yards. Louie-McGee (9 prs, 180 yds, 1 TD) has been dangerous returning punts.

Pretty thin on the commentary this week. There just isn’t a lot of Montana game highlights/game replays out there to check out. The Griz had an extra week to get ready for this game, but the Hornets have this one at home. I think the Hornets keep flying high and win an emotional game at home.

Stingers Up!
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields
SDHornet

Kadeezy wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:06 am
It would be cool if the Ticket Office could give an update on tickets sold for Saturday’s game. Might help built excitement. Don’t necessarily need to know the exact amount, but would be fun to know “we’re at XXX% of tickets sold through Wednesday of the EWU game.”

SD, you got contacts?
No idea on the percentage but the ticket office is offering a sale on tickets for $15 through midnight on Thursday.

Credit to the ticket folks, they have been running various ticket sale/promotions all season.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State