2020 Baseball

Talk about Volleyball, Softball, Gymnastics, and other Hornet sports
Green Cookie Monster

2020 Baseball

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 am

With the annual dumpster fire called basketball coming to a close, it is nice to see baseball starts on Feb. 14.

Should be another stellar year. Hope we picked up some heavy hitters in the offseason, seemed like that was our weak spot last year.

SDHornet

Re: 2020 Baseball

Post by SDHornet » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:51 am

Huge turnout at the Diamond Dinner last week as this should be an interesting year. The Hornets return a lot but had most of their coaching staff poached following Regionals last season. Solid and deep pitching combined with timely hitting seemed to be the trick last season. Personally I would be cool with seeing more small ball and solid pitching, although I don't think this roster has the speed to really challenge on the bases.

The schedule is kind of odd. A huge home-stand followed but a huge road trip before getting into WAC play. Opening pitch is Feb 14th.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

SDHornet

Re: 2020 Baseball

Post by SDHornet » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:14 pm

Baseball is off to a 5-2 start.

Opening series had great turnout and the Hornets won the opener, 6-1 over UCSB. Unfortunately the Hornets lost 1-0 in 11 in the 2nd game, and lost 4-2 in the third game. The Hornets left 21 runners on base in the two losses.

The Hornets rebounded with a 4 game sweep over UW Milwaukee this past weekend.
Thursday: 9-3 win. A solid start by true freshman Carter Morris as the Hornet bats came alive.
Friday: 4-0 win. Brahms goes 6 innings and k's 10 to become the all-time Hornet leader in strikeouts. Brady Rodrigues pitched a 3 inning save as the Hornet bats came through in clutch situations.
Saturday: 8-1 win. Randall goes 7 innings and only allows 1 run on 5 hits with 6 k's and no walks. The Hornet offense put up 8 runs on 13 hits with 4 stolen bags.
Sunday: 3-2 win. Freshman SS Jorge Bojorques gets his first HR as the Hornets are patient at the plate and scratch out a win. Hornet pitchers were able to work out of a few crucial jams to keep it close.

Hornets (5-2) host Santa Clara (6-3) for a 4 game series this Thursday - Sunday. They have a win over Stanford under their belt so far this season, but are coming into this series having dropped 3 of 4 at 5th ranked Georgia. Should be a tough series for the Hornets.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields