M&W 2019-20 Season

Talk about Hornet and College Basketball
User avatar
GreenArmySwarm
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:54 pm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:52 pm
I have no idea why Bridges is playing so much. A huge liability on Defense with absolutely no lateral movement at all. Besides the 3s he made, has not contributed much.
So this was a choke job. Went absolutely cold. It’s throw the ball to Patton with no plan B. Terrible coaching by Katz

User avatar
GreenArmySwarm
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:01 pm

GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:54 pm
GreenArmySwarm wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:52 pm
I have no idea why Bridges is playing so much. A huge liability on Defense with absolutely no lateral movement at all. Besides the 3s he made, has not contributed much.
So this was a choke job. Went absolutely cold. It’s throw the ball to Patton with no plan B. Terrible coaching by Katz
Wow. Bailed out by the refs and a lucky shot that rolled of the rim. But they need to rethink the Patton in the low post or bust method.
If we want to make a serious run at conference,
Davis needs to play better. Esposito need to be our best offensive player.

I still question the line up because Jacobs was playing well and he said most of the later part of the second half...
Stumbling into conference play here

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5194
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:20 am

57-56 Hornet (7-2) win at home over Cal Poly (2-9). It was ugly, but the Hornets scratched it out. I agree most of what you said, GAS, but here is my take:

Izayah didn’t play again. The offense and scoring threat just isn’t there with him off the floor and the defense (wasn’t as good last night) was just enough to scratch out this win. We’ll take it even against an awful CP program. The win puts the Hornets at 4-0 on the year against teams from that garbage bus league so I guess we get a claim as the BW Champs this year.

Officiating was awful, I wouldn’t say the Hornets were bailed out by them. That final foul on Osi was legit (check the replay). The Hornets were bailed out by that choke by CP on the final layup on the cross court pass in the final second…

…which bring me to the awful coaching job by Katz. Midway through the 2nd half I felt this was going to be another one of those games where the Hornets were clearly the better team but they choke it away. The Hornets had a solid close to the first half and just slept walked through the 2nd half (20 second half points is pathetic). I hate how this team doesn’t go out and secure the win when they have a lead; instead they pass it around the perimeter and throw up terrible low percentage shots when the shot clock winds down. Katz had no answer to their 2-3 zone, but worse yet was that the Hornets didn’t even attack if very much in the final stretch of the game.

What is completely inexcusable is not being ready to defend the cross court pass in the final second. There was literally no time for anything other than that or a half court heave. Why all the defenders were at half court manning up instead of hanging out near the 3 point line is highly questionable. Also Katz never defends the inbound pass and that would have made a play like that almost impossible to pull off. Thankfully CP choked on that open layup and we got bailed out.

This team missed a ton of shots from point blank range that normally drop and generally speaking just had too many players with awful shooting nights (Davis: 0/6, Osi: 1/7, Jacobs: 1/5) so I’m trying to not get too worked up about last night as I’ll take it as an outlier. Also FT shooting was sub par (11/18) and is typically better than that. If we had a few of those drop along with some FTs this game isn’t even close come crunch time.

Hornets head to face the montuckies in 10 days. A much better performance is needed if we want to see wins on the road in the BSC. I'm still optimistic about this season.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

mattman_121
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by mattman_121 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:45 pm

This team has exceeded expectations in every single game this season except for the most recent game and now all the armchair quarterbacks are here to post.

The funniest comment of all is James Bridges played too much. If he doesn't play Sac State would've lost that game, this team is not very good on offense and he went 4-6 from three in 22 minutes. The defense was fine Cal Poly only scored 0.90 points per possession.

User avatar
GreenArmySwarm
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:45 pm

mattman_121 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:45 pm
This team has exceeded expectations in every single game this season except for the most recent game and now all the armchair quarterbacks are here to post.

The funniest comment of all is James Bridges played too much. If he doesn't play Sac State would've lost that game, this team is not very good on offense and he went 4-6 from three in 22 minutes. The defense was fine Cal Poly only scored 0.90 points per possession.
Ahh..."armchair quaterbacks" :rofl:
This is not UCLA or USC, everyone on this small community truly cares about the programs. Most of the alums/fans on here want the team to succeed, but if there's obvious mistakes that are made in any part of the game, yes, we will call it out. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Just like when the program does well, we will give them all the praises. So get that garbage name calling outta here. Unless you're a coach on the team, technically speaking, by having an opinion and posting it on here, you, yourself fit the definition of an "armchair quarterback"...

Now regarding the Cal Poly game, I don't know if you watched the game or just looked at the box score and highlights, Bridges was ABSOLUTELY a liability on defense in the second half. WHICH is also a contributing reason to Cal Poly's huge rally back. You can go and re-watch the game yourself. I've always been a fan of Bridges (especially his back story with his father...if you don't know it, go look it up), but his lateral movement and ability to slide on defense was NOT good last game. Once again, we're all connected to the Hornets family one way or another, so don't treat other comments that's not yours like trolls. Unless the poster has an aggie user name or something :rofl:

User avatar
GreenArmySwarm
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:51 pm

An ass whooping delivered by Montana State in Bozeman. 66-51 was the final score and it wasn't really even that close. Our worst fear coming true, as the Hornets limp into conference play with a one-dimensional offense. Swing the ball around and throw it down to Patton and hope he can beat the other Center/Power Forward as he get double/triple team. No adjustments at all whatsoever from Katz when that goes to sh*t. Trading 2s for this modern game of 3 pointers doesn't help either.

Conference play is a different beast because teams know your tendencies. And if you lack adjustments when your Plan A (only plan for Katz) is not working, you're more likely going to get beat.

Really hoping this team turns around for the next game or we're gonna end up as we did in the past, struggle in Conference play on the road :coffee:

User avatar
GreenArmySwarm
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 pm

52-50 Loss to Montana in Missoula. 0-2 to start the conference. Can't really blame anyone but the refs on this one. Absolutely bailed out Montana with 3 seconds left and send them to the free throw. That was an iffy foul that they called Fowler. Montana has been falling left and right the whole game and that's how they won the game, on a tripping foul between the three-point line and half-court. Absolute garbage officiating. On to the next...

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5194
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:22 am

Awful start to BSC play for the Hornets. I didn’t consider any of the montucky teams to be that good and figured a split would be more than reasonable to open conference play.

66-51 loss at MSU was bad. Patton (18 pts, 7 boards) had a great game and Esposito (10 pts) was solid, but to only get 5 points from your starting guards (5 for Izayah, 0 points and 6 TOs from Davis) is horrendous.

Last night’s 52-50 loss to montucky wad brutal. A great defensive game was wasted as the Hornets had another bad shooting night and choked at the FT line (9/15). Izayah and Davis combined for a pathetic 12 points (17 total on the road trip). Yeah the refs bailed out montucky but that is expected in the BSC. The Hornets make their FTs and that awful call at the end doesn’t even come into play.

I’ve seen enough to quell whatever optimism I had entering conference play. The lackluster scoring by the starting guards is very concerning considering we are a third of the way into the season. It’s early and there are plenty of conference games to play, but I think this is an early indication of this season shaping up to be another typical bottom half finish in the BSC and a likely one and done in the BSCT. In other words, just another typical season under Katz.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
Green Cookie Monster
Moderator
Posts: 2242
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:08 am
Location: 867-5309

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by Green Cookie Monster » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Wheels on the bus go round and round. Round and round.

Don't expect anything different with a facility that is a joke. PSU even got it done.
Now Sac is the last embarrassment on the conference, so I guess they are Champions of something?
Image

josephpoint
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by josephpoint » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:10 pm

And the Hornets come home from Montana to take down Idaho State by 19 points tonight

And we do have a tiny gym but there are actually 3 schools in NCAA Div I with smaller gyms.

That being said, what is going on Mr. Orr and President Nelson in terms of the new Events Center?

let's spend some money and get the ground broken.

Keep it rolling Hornets and win the next two at Hornet Gym!!

Congrats on an 8-4 season so far and just win.

Go Sac State

and

Stingers Up

EventCenterNow
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:02 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by EventCenterNow » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:43 pm

I went to last night's game (great win and hopefully the men's team can keep things going) and I'm planning on attending the women's game the afternoon of January 16. I actually contemplated bringing a sign to last night's game that read "THE KINGS GOT THEIR ARENA! WHEN WILL SAC STATE GET THEIRS?." I had another sign printed up that reads "KEEP THE EVENT CENTER DISCUSSION ALIVE!." Unfortunately, I would've stuck out like a sore thumb and would've likely gotten thrown out of the gym. I know this sounds hokey, but we as Hornet fans need to have our voices heard. If anybody attends Hornet games on a regular basis, I wonder if anyone has thought about wearing T-shirts, bringing in signs (in support of the event center) and chanting "EVENT CENTER!" or something along those lines. I feel like a broken record, but if there are fans who are passionate about Sac State building an event center, then please, put that passion on display for Sacramento to see and hear. I fear that Robert Nelsen and Mark Orr are trying to carry this torch by themselves. Let them know how you feel about not only the event center, but getting people in Sacramento to take pride in its university. STINGERS UP SACRAMENTO AND KEEP THE EVENT CENTER DISCUSSION ALIVE!

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5194
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:55 pm

68-49 Hornet (8-4, 1-2 BSC) win over Idaho State (5-7, 2-1 BSC) last night. Excellent turnout, would have been a packed house if classes were in session. The Hornets came out determined and totally throttled the Bengals. Davis (16 pts, 7 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 TO) had a masterful game and Patton (19 pts, 6 boards, 2 blocks) was unstoppable as he surpassed the 1000 point mark for his career. Izayah (7 pts on 3/10 from the floor) is still struggling though and I expected a lot more from Esposito at this point in the season.

I really like how the Hornet defense forced the tempo and pushed the floor off of the forced turnovers. Another excellent team defense night. The Hornets are tough to beat when they churn out these types of performances.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5194
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:04 pm

EventCenterNow wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:43 pm
I went to last night's game (great win and hopefully the men's team can keep things going) and I'm planning on attending the women's game the afternoon of January 16. I actually contemplated bringing a sign to last night's game that read "THE KINGS GOT THEIR ARENA! WHEN WILL SAC STATE GET THEIRS?." I had another sign printed up that reads "KEEP THE EVENT CENTER DISCUSSION ALIVE!." Unfortunately, I would've stuck out like a sore thumb and would've likely gotten thrown out of the gym. I know this sounds hokey, but we as Hornet fans need to have our voices heard. If anybody attends Hornet games on a regular basis, I wonder if anyone has thought about wearing T-shirts, bringing in signs (in support of the event center) and chanting "EVENT CENTER!" or something along those lines. I feel like a broken record, but if there are fans who are passionate about Sac State building an event center, then please, put that passion on display for Sacramento to see and hear. I fear that Robert Nelsen and Mark Orr are trying to carry this torch by themselves. Let them know how you feel about not only the event center, but getting people in Sacramento to take pride in its university. STINGERS UP SACRAMENTO AND KEEP THE EVENT CENTER DISCUSSION ALIVE!
I haven't heard an update in a while now (I also haven't asked) but this is more than on the radar for Nelsen and Orr. The only way the events center is going to get done is with six, seven, and eight figure private donations so yes, it is all up to Nelsen and Orr to get this done as those are the folks that can land those types of contributions.

The other half of the equation is raising the student fees to cover the other half of the costs once the private funds are raised.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
GreenArmySwarm
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:59 am

SDHornet wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:55 pm
68-49 Hornet (8-4, 1-2 BSC) win over Idaho State (5-7, 2-1 BSC) last night. Excellent turnout, would have been a packed house if classes were in session. The Hornets came out determined and totally throttled the Bengals. Davis (16 pts, 7 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 TO) had a masterful game and Patton (19 pts, 6 boards, 2 blocks) was unstoppable as he surpassed the 1000 point mark for his career. Izayah (7 pts on 3/10 from the floor) is still struggling though and I expected a lot more from Esposito at this point in the season.

I really like how the Hornet defense forced the tempo and pushed the floor off of the forced turnovers. Another excellent team defense night. The Hornets are tough to beat when they churn out these types of performances.
GREAT bounce back game by the Hornets! As mediocre as some of Katz teams has been, one thing I'll say is he always make emphasis on defending home court. Really strong record for the Hornets inside the Nest. Need to keep this momentum up! Continue to play with speed, shoot (and make) open shots and not pass it up to drive in for no reasons, then maybe we can re-capture the out of conference good vibes. :nod:

NAU is next up on Thursday, I shall be tuning in, as always!

User avatar
GreenArmySwarm
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by GreenArmySwarm » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:13 am

SDHornet wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:04 pm
EventCenterNow wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:43 pm
I went to last night's game (great win and hopefully the men's team can keep things going) and I'm planning on attending the women's game the afternoon of January 16. I actually contemplated bringing a sign to last night's game that read "THE KINGS GOT THEIR ARENA! WHEN WILL SAC STATE GET THEIRS?." I had another sign printed up that reads "KEEP THE EVENT CENTER DISCUSSION ALIVE!." Unfortunately, I would've stuck out like a sore thumb and would've likely gotten thrown out of the gym. I know this sounds hokey, but we as Hornet fans need to have our voices heard. If anybody attends Hornet games on a regular basis, I wonder if anyone has thought about wearing T-shirts, bringing in signs (in support of the event center) and chanting "EVENT CENTER!" or something along those lines. I feel like a broken record, but if there are fans who are passionate about Sac State building an event center, then please, put that passion on display for Sacramento to see and hear. I fear that Robert Nelsen and Mark Orr are trying to carry this torch by themselves. Let them know how you feel about not only the event center, but getting people in Sacramento to take pride in its university. STINGERS UP SACRAMENTO AND KEEP THE EVENT CENTER DISCUSSION ALIVE!
I haven't heard an update in a while now (I also haven't asked) but this is more than on the radar for Nelsen and Orr. The only way the events center is going to get done is with six, seven, and eight figure private donations so yes, it is all up to Nelsen and Orr to get this done as those are the folks that can land those types of contributions.

The other half of the equation is raising the student fees to cover the other half of the costs once the private funds are raised.
I don't think the Event Center is happening anytime soon. I'm not saying that to be a debbie downer. I'm also not saying that because I have any kind of "in-side" information.
Just basic deductive reasoning:

-Biggest problem we have going against the Event Center is that there are other *academic* facilities that needs to be address on campus
-The construction cost in California continues to climb - and we have less than a handful of *big money donors -- and the slice of the pie is too small having to split up with 24 CSUs and the UCs when it comes to state money
-Unless the team makes the NCAA tournament (a few years in a row), and the university takes advantage of the momentum and implement a student vote, the vote will have a really hard time going through - - chicken and egg thing. Like, the team is not good enough to warrant an absolute need to quickly build an event center to accommodate for fans, exposure, etc...but at the same time, without the proper facilities, can we draw enough talent to get jump start that?

And those are the reasons why I don't see the Event Center happening soon. As much as we on this board/admin wants it

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5194
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:13 pm

Hornets (9-4, 2-2 BSC) hold on late and knock off a feisty NAU (7-6, 1-3 BSC), 64-57 in the Nest tonight. Another solid turnout, if this keeps up we should expect near capacity crowds once classes are back in.

Hornets completely dominated and took a 20 point lead into halftime, then turtled and just held the ball in the 2nd half and NAU made it close in the closing minutes thanks to some Patton foul trouble. The Hornets played some tough defense and made their FTs down the stretch to secure the win. Patton lead the way with 23 pts and 7 boards. Izayah went 3/5 from 3 and finished with 11 pts and 5 boards. Esposito had a rough night but finished with 11 pts and 6 boards. He had a lot of great moves to the bucket but just could finish on a lot of his drives. He could have had as many points as Patton if those shots drop.

Wasn't a fan of the turtling in the 2nd half but it worked. Quit a few stretches where the Hornets just ran clock and settled on a bad shot near the end of the shot clock. And the piss poor clock operator/scorers table kept giving NAU free timeouts in the closing minute as they couldn't get the clock to operate right. Nothing comes easy for us. :ohno:

Hornets host a flailing Weber State (5-10, 1-3 BSC) on Saturday night. Weebs lost to UNC for the first time ever at home on a last second layup tonight, 65-64. Must win game imo.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5194
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 pm

Hornets (10-4, 3-2 BSC) dominated Weber (5-11, 1-4 BSC), 71-57 this past weekend. I couldn't make it to the game but watched a good amount of it. Hornet defense was stellar all game and held weebs to 18 first half points. Things picked up pace in the 2nd half and the Hornets got hot from the floor, especially from range (8/18 from 3). Esposito (17 pts, 7 boards) had a great game and Izayah (14 pts, 6 ast) caught fire going 5/11 from 3. Hornets had 21 assists on the night.

Hornets hit the road for what at the moment looks to be the toughest road trip in the BSC this season at Northern Colorado and Southern Utah. Both teams are 10-5, 3-1 in the BSC. A split would be huge.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5194
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:35 pm

Hornets (10-5, 3-3 BSC) get ran off the court in the 2nd half at UNC (11-5, 4-1 BSC) and lose 71-52. Hornets just didn't have the athleticism to match the UNC backcourt and got absolutely abused from behind the arc (UNC shot 10/19) and couldn't hit anything on their side of the court (3/14 from 3). Bridges got abused the worst. He had no business trying to match-up with UNC's guards.

Patton (17 pts, 7 blocks, 5 boards) was the only Hornet with a respectable night, while Esposito (10 pts, 7 boards) scored some points but was awful from the floor (2/9). Izayah and Davis combine for a pathetic 8 points (3/13 shooting) and 8 TOs. Ugly and embarrassing team performance.

Must win game at SUU (lost at home to NAU, 75-72) if the Hornets want to have any hope for a top 4 seed in the BSCT.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

SacStateFan
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SacStateFan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:16 pm

What a loss...

Katz needs to come up with better offensive strategy. We can’t rely on one play to give the ball to Patton every time.

James Bridges needs to fill up the stat sheet with something favorable (considering all the minutes he’s getting). I’d prefer to see Elijah play more. James is a liability defensively.

I expect more from Izaiah as the senior team leader. What is happening with his shooting?

Still plenty of games to be played. We can have a strong finish.

User avatar
SDHornet
Moderator
Posts: 5194
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Re: M&W 2019-20 Season

Post by SDHornet » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:42 pm

Hornets (10-6, 3-4 BSC) no-shows at SUU (11-6, 4-2 BSC) and gets ran off the court, 49-74 this past weekend. Osi (13 pts, 6 boards) and Patton (12 pts, 7 boards) were the only ones that showed up to Cedar City. By far the worst all around game of the year. Izayah and Davis put up a whooping 11 points and 7 TOs. It was so bad that Katz emptied the bench in the 1st half trying to find someone who wanted to play. I'd have to go way back early into Katz tenure here to recall a game this awful. I have no idea what it is but Katz' teams always suck on the road.
"I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." W.C. Fields

Post Reply