• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

20 game league schedule next year?

Skippy

Conference Deputy Commissioner Ron Loghry tells the Ogden Standard that it’s likely the conference will go to a full 20-game, round robin schedule as early as next season. I’ve been looking forward to this development for awhile. Hope it happens next season.
http://www.standard.net/Basketball/2018/03/08/As-Big-Sky-membership-changes-deputy-talks-schedule-shifts-expansion.html

I hate the 20-game schedule. That means only 9 non-conference games. Most 11-team (or more) leagues play 18 conference games.

mvem said:
I hate the 20-game schedule. That means only 9 non-conference games. Most 11-team (or more) leagues play 18 conference games.

Not me. Most Big Sky schools can’t get D-1 non-conference home games and there are way too many non-D-1 games being played. Hell Weber State, who should be in the best position to get D-1 nonconference home games, played 3 non-D-1 games this year. Would much rather watch a Big Sky home game than another non-D1 game.

Plus you avoid the unfortunate situation you had this year when the top four teams in the league only played each other once.

The issue though is that some schools already have contracts for non-conference games lined up, assuming there will be 11 non-conference games. Can they get out of those deals? And without financial penalty?

The good news about a 20 game schedule is it gives you a "true" champion.

The bad news is that it does cut down on non-conference chances to play $$$ games (which are the lifeblood for some BSC schools) and chances to pull off upsets.

Regarding ISU WBB specifically I know Seton is in favor of 20 for the exact reason Brad said...more home games. I can certainly understand that feeling.

Mike Trujillo said on the postgame Friday, ISU WBB is in a holding pattern regarding the non-conference schedule, some things have been finalized but they can't put the finishing touches on it until they know if they are playing 18 or 20 conference games.

PBP

Skippy said:
mvem said:

Not me. Most Big Sky schools can’t get D-1 non-conference home games and there are way too many non-D-1 games being played. Hell Weber State, who should be in the best position to get D-1 nonconference home games, played 3 non-D-1 games this year. Would much rather watch a Big Sky home game than another non-D1 game.

Except that Big Sky teams still played a lot of non-DIs even when the league schedule was 20. Nearly every men's team scheduled 2 playdowns per year regardless.

mvem said:
Skippy said:
mvem said:

Except that Big Sky teams still played a lot of non-DIs even when the league schedule was 20. Nearly every men's team scheduled 2 playdowns per year regardless.

It’s still another D-1 home game, and a fairer schedule. There is still plenty of opportunity for schools to play money games. The sooner the better.

Latest posts

Back