• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

2010 Record Predictions

bengalfanatic

I know it may be somewhat early...but season is right around the corner...what do you think the record will be next season? And feel free to explain your thoughts...

i'm guessing 2 and 9. wins against montana western and one big sky school .

i expect georgia to run up 50+ points

I agree with Spartan. 2 wins may even be a stretch. At saturdays scrimmage they limited the center/Qb exchange because of fumbles and missed snaps. With the lack of experienced depth, the seeming lack of fundamentals, etc, its hard to conceive that this team will do better than it has the last couple years. Lets just hope that the guys with academic issues come back. Doesn't look promissing. Zam's team goes 1-fer again.

I think this season is going to be 5-6 ish for a couple of reasons. First, the team has some key leadership and experience in AJ Storms, Kelvin Krosch, Chris Holmesly, Sean Rutten, Phillip Arias, Mitch Rudder, Brad Shedd, Andrew Benevides, etc... Even at QB, we are going to have a guy who has taken plenty of snaps and has had some good flashes in Russ Hill or we are going have a guy who is talented enough to win the starting job over a guy who has taken plenty of college football snaps. Second, we have some new coaches in Phil Early and Jon Clark to coach up the offense. A capable offense combined with a defense that truly only failed when they were forced to play 3/4 of the game is the combination that certainly has been missing over the previous couple of years. Lastly, our schedule is not as brutal. Yes, we have Georgia the first weekend in November, but we are going to have an opportunity to build rythym and confidence with the Montana Western game and a short drive to Logan before starting with winnable confernce games.

I am going to say 3-8. But,I really think this team can improve offensively and defensively. I expect that ISU will be in more than 1-2 games this season.

2-9
Home wins vs. UM-Western and Sac. State.

Like, 'cub, I believe the Bengals will be more competitive. I'd be surprised if they win a road game in '10, but I think they'll be in a few close road games. As for the other home contests - NAU, Weber, Montana St - I think Weber returns a solid QB. Not sure about NAU and Montana State of what they return/lost from last year's squads.

Come on guys... we have talent emerging on both sides of the ball. Not to mention all the other outstanding players that are coming up.

We have a handful of good running backs and Stew Tracy is freaking talented. Andrew Benavides (wr/kr) Averaged 33 yds per carry on kick returns as a FRESHMEN; Crazy average that not many players can boast about. New comer Basim Hudeen (linebacker) with a total of 78 tackles for the season; avg of 7 per game. New comer Greg Melendez (safety) with a total of 72 tackles for the season: avg of 6.5 per game.

Coach Z and Phil have been friends/team mates since the late 70’s and will be able to work through roadblocks/changes in the program much faster with better results.

New offensive coordinator Phil Earley has a win/loss record of roughly 4-7 per season (that I can find) and has been coaching offense/QB’s for the last 19 seasons setting school records year after year.

Phil’s stats that I could find:
San Diego 2009: 4-8
Syracuse 2008: 3-7, 2007: 2-10, 2006: 4-8
Ohio 2004: 4-7
UNR 2003: 6-6, 2002 5-7

It is going to be a good/great season from what we’ve been used to. I am going to predict a 6-5 season and will be disappointed with anything less.

Our main hurdle this year will be to get our offensive line off the ball with purpose and push the defense back. That will open-up the opportunity for our QB to step-up and lead our team to repeated victories.

Call me an eternal optimist, but I think 6-5 is doable. Last year in the first week of June, I predicted a .500 season. Well, the wheels came off early in some games that I thought the Bengals would be more competitive. Factor in a lack of confidence and you've got a 1-10 season.

This year, the Bengals come into the season with a winning streak. I am thinking they play Utah State with their winning streak still alive. Many teams in the WAC feel that the Aggies are a team on the rise. I feel that they have some issues and wouldn't be surprised if a confident, inspired Bengal team could give them all that they could handle. This might not be a win, but it's definitely an opportunity to create more confidence before they take on the league. Another intriguing game is NAU. Flagstaff is always a tough place to play, regardless of talent level. Their elevation is like 4 miles high or so. You can't pick up your car keys without getting winded there. A team lacking in confidence and lacking in depth is going to struggle there. This year, they visit Pocatello. Don't be surprised if the Bengals win this game big.

Here's my unscientific and biased prediction...

Montana-Western - W (Confidence builder)
Utah State - ? (Potential Confidence builder - an away game that is close for the team and fans)
N. Colorado - W (Very winnable)
NAU - W (With some Bengal confidence coming into this game, watch out. Blow out city)
Portland St. - W (Beat 'em last year, will beat 'em again)
Montana - L (ISU almost pulled off the upset in Pocatello. But, Montana team plays tough at home)
Weber - L (No disrespect, but Weber will bring in fans. Hopefully, the Bengal fans show up, too.)
Montana St. - W (Teams from Montana are more vulnerable on the road)
Georgia - L (Let's hope the Bengals leave Athens injury free!)
Sacramento St. W - (Bengal confidence will be a big factor in this game.)
Eastern Washington - L (This was last year's most lopsided conference game and it was in Pocatello)

There you have it, 6-5. Alot of the predicted results depends heavily on team chemistry, senior leadership and confidence. ISU needs to put last year behind them and use the spring practice times and the summer months work on these factors. Additionally, ISU needs to find a way to bring the fans back to Holt. Make a home game feel like a home game. Again, maybe I'm off the charts as far as optimism is concerned, but that's my prediction.

0-11 ... depressed
1-10 ... disappointed
2-9 ... not surprised
3-8 ... cautiously optimistic (my prediction)
4-7 ... excited for 2011
5-6 ... unreal
6 wins or more ... incomprehensible

I understand why a lot of posters have a win over Sac State picked, but following the road trip to Georgia I think it will be a bit of a stretch. I will add that history is definitely on ISU's side in this one. Given that the game is late in the season, there is no telling how this game will shape out based on the injury situation of either team.

I went with 1-10...the 1 win NOT being against the Hornets.

SDHornet said:
I understand why a lot of posters have a win over Sac State picked, but following the road trip to Georgia I think it will be a bit of a stretch. I will add that history is definitely on ISU's side in this one. Given that the game is late in the season, there is no telling how this game will shape out based on the injury situation of either team.

Well, thanks, SDwhorenut, but I don't think I would be that confident that Sac will beat anyone on the road.

Pocabengal-

Cool it. It's ok for other people to be homers for their teams. Hornet fan wasn't being an ass.

Back on topic-

I'd say 4-7 with lots of optimism about 2011. Wins vs Sac, Western, MSU and I'll say it...Montana. I predict ISU will beat Montana every year. Yes, I never win this pick. No, it probably won't happen But I don't really care either way. When you look at the games played since 2006, nothing is ever certain in this game. NOTHING. Even when U-M has a #2 ranking, a solid offense and defense, and is the national runner-up, they STILL can't beat us convincingly (and by that I mean by like 3 touchdowns). Win you do, Montana. But WIN with epic amounts of bloodshed ala' Ohio State over Pittsburgh in our 4-game series (93-96) you do not, sirs.

And speaking of which, I say Ohio State wins either the Rose or the National Championship in Glendale (hoping to break the damn curse we have in that POS of a stadium in Cardinal. Seriously, move the Fiesta Bowl BACK to Sun Devil Stadium!), thus giving me another year to show America my two middle fingers. I loved doing that after the Rose Bowl this year.

My other favorite team, The U, should be back in BCS form. The Canes have experience, a great recruiting class, and experience under Mark Whipple's offensive awesomeness. I'm hoping Ohio State will beat them silly in the Shoe this year. But after that I hope Miami rolls. I have always had great respect for the Hurricanes and college football is not college football without Miami in the Top 10.

Things I am looking forward to in 2010

-Russell Hill should be much better this year...provided the offensive line plays like a murderous army of Vikings.
-I hope and pray we get rid of the f***ing screen passes and stretch plays. Can you spell Aggravating and Predictable?
-Stew Tracy should be looking good this year
-AJ Storms will be a monster, the kind that slaughters an entire town of peasants while burning the land, rendering it unfit for future settlement :twisted:
-Zamberlin should be riding a motorcycle. Just because that would be epic.
-The cannon

If we go 1-11 again, well...there's always the women's sports to save the day. And rugby. And Ohio State football. I have backup plans to prevent suffering :)

pocabengal said:
SDHornet said:

Well, thanks, SDwhorenut, but I don't think I would be that confident that Sac will beat anyone on the road.
It doesn't matter what you think, like it or not the Hornets have been steadily improving under Sperbeck and Co. For what it's worth, the Hornets won 2 road games last season. It's not great, but it sure beats not winning any road games.

isusuperfan said:
Pocabengal-

Cool it. It's ok for other people to be homers for their teams. Hornet fan wasn't being an ass.
It's all good Superfan, I have thick skin, and no I wasn't trying to be an ass. Good luck this season Bengal fans.

Latest posts

Back