• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

2014 Offer Jared Stutzman chooses U of San Fran

johnjohn

The Idaho Falls Post Register this morning says this Idaho Falls player chose to play for Coach Rex Walters at the U of San Fran. He will serve a 2 year LDS mission first and then be there in the 2016 season. I know he had ISU in his top choices. In the end it was the conference, according to the paper, that made the kids decision.

Here's a question or two that I have. How long will it take Coach Evans and his staff to turn around the program at ISU? The fact that ISU is ranked near the bottom of the conference is a deciding factor that Idaho recruits take into consideration. If Idaho kids don't want to be part of the building process, then will it hurt them in the long run when the program is off and running strong? The fans really want a winning venue to go and watch and cheer for. I can visualize the recruiting staff pondering the fact that maybe Idaho kids can't rebuild the program and we need to go out and get the best that ISU can find, be they from Idaho or not. And, once we get a winning program, can Idaho kids fulfill the starting roles to keep it a winning program? If not, then Idaho kids being recruited by ISU may drop. Just thinking.... :nod:

I'm reminded of something a former football coach told me, "you can't win with just Idaho kids." (and no it wasn't John Zamberlin - who had a number of local / Idaho kids on his rosters)

Balance is the key to anything. Sure you want some Idaho / area kids on the team whatever sport but the basic question has to be, can they actually play at that level?

If you think they can, you recruit them and try to get some, but you can't focus exclusively on them and you can't just listen to fans / supporters who say to recruit local kids in essence just because they are local.

Winning is the bottom line, that's solves most problems including where your recruits are from.

A few more thoughts on this in no particular order.

Remember it takes two to tango. I know a number of times when ISU coaches were recruiting local / area players who simply had little or no interest in the Bengals. It happens. Doesn't mean the kids are "bad", doesn't mean the coaches are "bad." It just wasn't a match. The player has to be happy and comfortable in where they go, that's another bottom line. They are the ones having to go out and play...not the parents, not the family friends, not the boosters.

Remember ISU is also in competition with schools in the Salt Lake area, with BYU and with Idaho and Boise State for players. They aren't in a vacuum. Everyone knows what BSU has done in football for the past 10 years but now the men's basketball team is stepping up. They'll be ranked in the Top 25 next year, they played at Michigan State last year...they play at Kentucky this year. That is appealing to kids. Facilities also play a factor, sometimes a big one. I know for a fact that ISU lost players to another state program because it came down to facilities. Why do you think Jeff and his staff have worked so hard on improvements in this area over the past five years? It all factors in.

When the ISU women's basketball team won both the regular season and post season tournament title in the Big Sky 14 months ago, they had one player from the area / state (Sheryl Bitter) on the team. Did that fact damper the enthusiasm for the club by ISU fans? No. Like I said, if you play hard, give good effort, conduct yourself in a reasonable manner on and off the court, go to class and win fans honestly don't care where you are from in my opinion.

PBP

PBP, thanks for your comments. I agree with you. Two things jumped out at me. 1st, was about things being a good match between school and the player, and I guess with coaches as well. 2nd, was about facilities. In talking to some players, the first thing they show you is a very nice gym packed with people. From the looks of things, I think Evans is on the right track. From other posters, it sounds like he might have 2 scholarships remaining. I have no clue if that is correct, but they think he needs a good outside shooter. I wish them well !

Big Sky champ Montana had a total of 2 Montana players on the roster this season, neither of whom played much or contributed. Weber State, probably the best team at the end of the season, had just 1 Utah player on its roster, and he didn't contribute.

Latest posts

Back