• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

2016-17 ISU Women's B'ball Schedule Announced...

PBP

Here is the link to it: http://www.isubengals.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=210

Just some random musings about it as far as overall and specifically. Submitted for your edification as Rod Serling once intoned on “Night Gallery.”

The opponents and the dates are set. Many times are still to be determined for road games. Home games will tip off at 2:05 (weekends) or 7:05 (weekdays) as per Big Sky regulations.

The regular season breakdown has 13 home games (four non-conference), 14 road games (five non-conference) and two neutral site non-conference games. Total of 29. The post season tournament will again take place in Reno, Nevada.

ISU had to really scramble this year putting it together. Oregon and Wake Forest, whom ISU thought they had agreements with to play at their place, fell through. Plus as Brad and the Journal has pointed out the expected drop in enrollment/ student fees meant four “money games” this year and only one game against an NAIA school. Money games are at Santa Clara, Oregon State (made the Final Four last year), Colorado and Wisconsin.

First ever meetings are on the schedule between ISU vs. Davidson and ISU vs. James Madison in Cancun, Mexico.

As far as the Big Sky schedule, ISU has a tough draw. They only get to play No. Arizona, Portland St. and So. Utah one time each this season. Those three programs struggled last year. They also get Sacramento St. once. Everyone else in the conference twice.

ISU does not go to Portland St. or Sacramento St., they come to Pocatello. ISU goes to No. Arizona and So. Utah but those schools don’t come to Reed Gym.

First five conference games will be tough. Host Montana St. and Montana, on the road at Weber St., Eastern and Idaho.

Four of the last six conference games are on the road.

Also interesting to note that Boise St. is not on the schedule this year. I think this ends the longest continuous rivalry in ISU women’s basketball history. Records are somewhat incomplete which is why I can’t say that for sure. The record shows ISU first played Boise during the 1974-75 season. That was the first year ISU had a team. The 1975-76 records are incomplete. Complete records resume starting the next year 1976-1977 season. ISU played BSU again during the 1977-1978 year and they have played at least once every year since then. Often they played at least twice when the Broncos were in the Big Sky Conference. Three of the last four meetings have been in Boise and that may have had something to do with this. BSU, like all bigger schools, want as many home games as possible. ISU won three of the last five meetings and it will be interesting to see if the series resumes at some point in the future.

A few more notes:

* Exhibition game will be against Alaska-Fairbanks on November 5.

* The game at home with Cal-Irvine will be part of a football / basketball doubleheader. ISU hosts Weber St. in football earlier that day.

* There will not be any local radio coverage of the games from Mexico against James Madison and Davidson Thanksgiving week. If those schools are bringing broadcasters and if the games are available in some way, Jenna Galloway from ISU sports information will have that information on the Bengals web site.

* The stretch in early December has a long road trip. Bus to Logan to play Utah St.; then get back on the road bussing from Logan to Boulder to play Colorado. Then fly out of Denver to Milwaukee. Travel to Madison to play Wisconsin. Then fly back to SLC, bus back to Pocatello. Whew! I’m tired already! LOL.

* Also you’ll notice ISU has a Sunday home game this year. That is correct; they’ll play Denver on Sunday December 11th. First time that I know of ISU’s women have played a Sunday home game. I think the men have done it in the past but I’m not sure. Perhaps Jerry or Brad can provide more info along these lines.

* Conference opener starts with Montana on December 29 with their new coach. Play Montana State the defending regular season champ, in a New Year’s Eve afternoon game on the 31st.

* ISU Senior day for April, Freya and Brooke will be February 25 against Eastern.

* Close the regular season with the Montana road trip on March 1 and March 3. Games that week are on Wednesday and Friday

*Big Sky post season tournament for the women will begin on Monday, March 6 in Reno.

PBP

PBP said:
Here is the link to it: http://www.isubengals.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=210

Just some random musings about it as far as overall and specifically. Submitted for your edification as Rod Serling once intoned on “Night Gallery.”

The opponents and the dates are set. Many times are still to be determined for road games. Home games will tip off at either 2PM or 2:05 (weekends) or 7PM or 7:05 (weekdays) as per Big Sky regulations.

The regular season breakdown has 13 home games (four non-conference), 14 road games (five non-conference) and two neutral site non-conference games. Total of 29. The post season tournament will again take place in Reno, Nevada.

ISU had to really scramble this year putting it together. Oregon and Wake Forest, whom ISU thought they had agreements with to play at their place, fell through. Plus as Brad and the Journal has pointed out the expected drop in enrollment/ student fees meant four “money games” this year and only one game against an NAIA school. Money games are at Santa Clara, Oregon State (made the Final Four last year), Colorado and Wisconsin.

First ever meetings are on the schedule between ISU vs. Davidson and ISU vs. James Madison in Cancun, Mexico.

As far as the Big Sky schedule, ISU has a tough draw. They only get to play No. Arizona, Portland St. and So. Utah one time each this season. Those three programs struggled last year. Play everyone else in the conference twice.

ISU does not go to Portland St. or Sacramento St., they come to Pocatello. ISU goes to No. Arizona and So. Utah but those schools don’t come to Reed Gym.

First five conference games will be tough. Host Montana St. and Montana, on the road at Weber St., Eastern and Idaho.

Four of the last six conference games are on the road.

Also interesting to note that Boise St. is not on the schedule this year. I think this ends the longest continuous rivalry in ISU women’s basketball history. Records are somewhat incomplete which is why I can’t say that for sure. The record shows ISU first played Boise during the 1974-75 season. That was the first year ISU had a team. The 1975-76 records are incomplete. Complete records resume starting the next year 1976-1977 season. ISU played BSU again during the 1977-1978 year and they have played at least once every year since then. Often they played at least twice when the Broncos were in the Big Sky Conference. Three of the last four meetings have been in Boise and that may have had something to do with this. BSU, like all bigger schools, want as many home games as possible. ISU won three of the last five meetings and it will be interesting to see if the series resumes at some point in the future.

A few more notes:

* Exhibition game will be against Alaska-Fairbanks (a school that has mentioned they would like to join the Big Sky in the past) on November 5.

* The game at home with Cal-Irvine will be part of a football / basketball doubleheader. ISU hosts Weber St. in football earlier that day.

* There will not be any local radio coverage of the games from Mexico against James Madison and Davidson Thanksgiving week. If those schools are bringing broadcasters and if the games are available in some way, Jenna Galloway from ISU sports information will have that information on the Bengals web site.

* The stretch in early December has a long road trip. Bus to Logan to play Utah St.; then get back on the road bussing from Logan to Boulder to play Colorado. Then fly out of Denver to Milwaukee. Travel to Madison to play Wisconsin. Then fly back to SLC, bus back to Pocatello. Whew! I’m tired already! LOL.

* Also you’ll notice ISU has a Sunday home game this year. That is correct; they’ll play Denver on Sunday December 11th. First time that I know of ISU’s women have played a Sunday home game. I think the men have done it in the past but I’m not sure. Perhaps Jerry or Brad can provide more info along these lines.

* Conference opener starts with Montana St., defending regular season champ from last year at home on December 29. Play Montana in a New Year’s Eve afternoon game on the 31st with their new head coach.

* ISU Senior day for April, Freya and Brooke will be February 25 against Eastern.

* Close the regular season with the Montana road trip on March 1 and March 3. Games that week are on Wednesday and Friday

*Big Sky post season tournament for the women will begin on Monday, March 6 in Reno.

PBP
Good analysis Mark. To answer your question the men hosted then No.4-ranked Wazzu with Klay Thompson and company on a Sunday, I think it was in 2007. Very unfortunate because only about 2,500 people showed up for probably the highest ranked team to ever play in Holt Arena, but Wazzu was on their way home from a road trip as I recall and insisted on the Sunday date. The Cougars won handily, not surprisingly.

Latest posts

Back