• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

2016-2019 Football Schedules

MrLevski

Weber State released it's 2016-2019 football schedules today (there are still some non-conference empty spots). The good news is that we got a series with South Dakota. The bad news is we have two more years of non-conference games against Sacramento State.

http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39328&SPID=3468&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210140187&DB_OEM_ID=8600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrLevski said:
Weber State released it's 2016-2019 football schedules today (there are still some non-conference empty spots). The good news is that we got a series with South Dakota. The bad news is we have two more years of non-conference games against Sacramento State.

http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39328&SPID=3468&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210140187&DB_OEM_ID=8600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't mind playing Sacramento State again as an OOC, I would rather play them than any lower level team, and it continues the Rivalry series between the two schools, which I'm cool with.

Will play at San Diego St in 2019.

OOC:
'15 - @ Oregon St, @ N Dakota St, Sac St
'16 - @ S Dakota, Sac St
'17 - @ Cal, @ Sac St
'18 - @ Utah, S Dakota
'19 - @ San Diego St

SWeberCat02 said:
Will play at San Diego St in 2019.

OOC:
'15 - @ Oregon St, @ N Dakota St, Sac St
'16 - @ S Dakota, Sac St
'17 - @ Cal, @ Sac St
'18 - @ Utah, S Dakota
'19 - @ San Diego St

On Thursday night Jerry mentioned that the football team would open the 2016 season in Logan against Utah State. The rest of the schedules need one more game each.

I keep hoping that one day Weber will be good enough and the crowd support will be strong enough to have six home games in a year. Here's to hoping.

a strong start by the cats will make all the difference in crowd support. seems that when we are scoring we are supported! ha I agree and hope that's enough to get us started-w's will be the only sustainer. Defense looks strong and particularly run stop. here's to a great start!

Had a great discussion with a former coach on Friday and he said the goal is to get back to 6 home games. He said that he would like us to play lower level MW teams instead of P5 teams, but that the P5's pay more and that that pay day should be enough to help the Cats get back to playing 6 home games a year. Playing lower-level, or G5, teams gives the Cats a chance to be far more competitive though in games against FBS teams. Back to the home schedule, he did say, if we got back to 6, most of the extra home games would be against DII teams.

If it means a DII team to get 6 home games I'll take it--for now. Still, I'd like to see Weber get competitive enough that other FCS teams come knocking on our door wanting to play.

Excited for this season. Hope the Cats can have a successful year.

N.OgdenCat said:
Had a great discussion with a former coach on Friday and he said the goal is to get back to 6 home games. He said that he would like us to play lower level MW teams instead of P5 teams, but that the P5's pay more and that that pay day should be enough to help the Cats get back to playing 6 home games a year. Playing lower-level, or G5, teams gives the Cats a chance to be far more competitive though in games against FBS teams. Back to the home schedule, he did say, if we got back to 6, most of the extra home games would be against DII teams.
Might want to consider inviting Ft Lewis (if JLS didn't find greener fields & is still there as head coach)...note: Ft Lewis @ Montana State, Thurs. Sep 3, 7pm on Altitude TV. :lol:
(Not promoting the possibility...but could prove entertaining in a way)

On Sunday I was watching a replay of the Rhode Island @ Maine game and I got thinking about how much it would cost Weber to bring one of these schools to Ogden. We know we will be playing Sac and the Yotes in the next few seasons, but there are open ooc games in 2017, 2018 and 19.

I guess I'm wondering if the price is too much for us to bring someone that far to play us, there are plenty of FCS schools east of the Mississippi that we could schedule, heck Cal Poly scheduled Yale a few years ago and Montana played Liberty. Don't get me wrong, I actually like playing conf foes as occ and I'm stoked for our games vs the Yotes of South Dakota but like I said there are a lot of FCS schools out there, I any be alone in this but I'd love to see some Southern Conf or CAA teams visit Stewart Stadium

WILDCAT said:
On Sunday I was watching a replay of the Rhode Island @ Maine game and I got thinking about how much it would cost Weber to bring one of these schools to Ogden. We know we will be playing Sac and the Yotes in the next few seasons, but there are open ooc games in 2017, 2018 and 19.

I guess I'm wondering if the price is too much for us to bring someone that far to play us, there are plenty of FCS schools east of the Mississippi that we could schedule, heck Cal Poly scheduled Yale a few years ago and Montana played Liberty. Don't get me wrong, I actually like playing conf foes as occ and I'm stoked for our games vs the Yotes of South Dakota but like I said there are a lot of FCS schools out there, I any be alone in this but I'd love to see some Southern Conf or CAA teams visit Stewart Stadium

:+1: Me too...why can't they get a few eastern/southern FCSs contracted up for a home/away game arrangement...seems to be going on with other BSC teams...maybe NDSU, USD are the start to getting that going in the future. :coffee:

I love the idea, but unfortunately the chances of getting a CAA, Southern, or like conference team to make the trip to Ogden is extremely rare. Most FCS schools, especially those from conferences like the Big Sky, are not going to come to Ogden for a payday. Weber would have to pay between $350K and $700K to get an FCS to come to Ogden without a return trip. We don't have that type of money. We are playing FBS teams each year to help bankroll our program. This year, from what I have heard, Weber got somewhere between 550K and 700K to play OSU. Next year, Weber will get 325,000 to play USU and then for PAC-12 Cal and Utah, the Cats should make above 550K or 600K for each. No way, Weber could ever buy a guarantee other than a DII or lower.

As for a home and home, which, with these schools, has a far better chance of happening, Each team has to take into account how much it would cost to transport the teams across the country. Yes, Weber made great cash from the game against Boston College, yet, Weber automatically had to spend something like $90K just to transport the team to Mass and back to Ogden. When the team needs, at least, $450K from guarantee games and revenue to break even, thats a lot to lose on a guarantee game that only paid out $350K That is why Weber wants to play teams close to Ogden. A game against the Utes is great. A $550K payout and it is a virtually free bus ride to Salt Lake and back.

Yes, like you guys, I want to see more variety. I really hope to see 6 games at Stewart again, but that is going to be either a great set up for home and home, which would mean that we would possibly only get a 4 home game schedule in the future, a 12 game schedule, or a DII.

N.OgdenCat said:
I love the idea, but unfortunately the chances of getting a CAA, Southern, or like conference team to make the trip to Ogden is extremely rare. Most FCS schools, especially those from conferences like the Big Sky, are not going to come to Ogden for a payday. Weber would have to pay between $350K and $700K to get an FCS to come to Ogden without a return trip. We don't have that type of money. We are playing FBS teams each year to help bankroll our program. This year, from what I have heard, Weber got somewhere between 550K and 700K to play OSU. Next year, Weber will get 325,000 to play USU and then for PAC-12 Cal and Utah, the Cats should make above 550K or 600K for each. No way, Weber could ever buy a guarantee other than a DII or lower.

As for a home and home, which, with these schools, has a far better chance of happening, Each team has to take into account how much it would cost to transport the teams across the country. Yes, Weber made great cash from the game against Boston College, yet, Weber automatically had to spend something like $90K just to transport the team to Mass and back to Ogden. When the team needs, at least, $450K from guarantee games and revenue to break even, thats a lot to lose on a guarantee game that only paid out $350K That is why Weber wants to play teams close to Ogden. A game against the Utes is great. A $550K payout and it is a virtually free bus ride to Salt Lake and back.

Yes, like you guys, I want to see more variety. I really hope to see 6 games at Stewart again, but that is going to be either a great set up for home and home, which would mean that we would possibly only get a 4 home game schedule in the future, a 12 game schedule, or a DII.

Mostly just wishful thinking on my part. Would love to see Weber play Northern Iowa or Sam Houston State

So I'm guessing with the addition of Idalol the schedules through 2019 at least the conference games, are gonna have to be shuffled again, especially with the possibility of going to divisions

WILDCAT said:
So I'm guessing with the addition of Idalol the schedules through 2019 at least the conference games, are gonna have to be shuffled again, especially with the possibility of going to divisions
And at the rate it's going, I wouldn't be surprised if S Dakota was in the conference by 2018, when they're scheduled to visit Ogden.

With Idaho coming on board, we as Weber State fans better get ready for the conference to do one of two things.

One: Under the banner of the "Big Sky Conference" two separate, but "equal" football FCS conferences emerge. One composed of the haves and the other composed of the have nots.

Two: The conference breaks up into two divisions. I've heard that option 1 is the most likely route.

So...that leads us to analyze whether or not we are going to get into the football option that has the Montanas in it. Not everyone is getting in. Thankfully, we have a great basketball program. I know this is football, but that does speak volumes.

I guess also that we should start apologizing to Sioux. He has been preaching this to us.

talhadfoursteals said:
With Idaho coming on board, we as Weber State fans better get ready for the conference to do one of two things.

One: Under the banner of the "Big Sky Conference" two separate, but "equal" football FCS conferences emerge. One composed of the haves and the other composed of the have nots.

Two: The conference breaks up into two divisions. I've heard that option 1 is the most likely route.

So...that leads us to analyze whether or not we are going to get into the football option that has the Montanas in it. Not everyone is getting in. Thankfully, we have a great basketball program. I know this is football, but that does speak volumes.

I guess also that we should start apologizing to Sioux. He has been preaching this to us.

I can see there being 2 FCS conferences, but I don't see them separating Weber from Idaho State, Montana or Montana State. Weber State was one of the founders of this conference, they would not (at least I hope) split Weber up from the other founders. In my opinion the following divisions/conference's work best.

Mountain Division/Big Sky
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota
Northern Colorado
Weber State

Pacific Division/ PCC
Cal Poly
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona