• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

3-way tie for third place

EWU and MSU will be in the playoffs. Cal Poly lost today so they have no chance for the playoffs.

ISU, Montana, and NAU are tied for third place. All three teams are currently 5-2 in the Big Sky and 7-4 overall.

If ISU, Montana, and NAU win their last game who will be in the playoffs? I have to assume the FCS committee will select Montana as the Griz have been a FCS ranked team all season.

If Montana loses to Montana State and ISU and NAU win out who will be in the playoffs? Will it be ISU or NAU ? I am not sure the FCS committee will take ISU or NAU with a 6-2 record in the Big Sky and a 8-4 overall record if they win out.

I would assume EWU would still be in the playoffs if they lost to Portland State as they beat Montana State and Montana and would end the season with a 6-2 record in the Big Sky with a 9-3 record overall and have been a FCS ranked team all season.

Some strange games today in the Big Sky. If you listened to Mike's postgame comments on the radio it sounded like he feels ISU has no chance anymore regardless of what happens against Weber State.

Now that may have been simply the disappointment talking after the tough loss but he did point out the fact that ISU can't have seven wins against FCS or FBS schools anymore and that is an issue with the committee.

We'll see.

PBP

PBP said:
Some strange games today in the Big Sky. If you listened to Mike's postgame comments on the radio it sounded like he feels ISU has no chance anymore regardless of what happens against Weber State.

Now that may have been simply the disappointment talking after the tough loss but he did point out the fact that ISU can't have seven wins against FCS or FBS schools anymore and that is an issue with the committee...
It's an unwritten rule, but if Montana loses next week, I think we'll have a better résumé than the Griz or NAU.

I'd say EWU and whoever wins the Montana-MSU game are in. Then it depends on what happens with other teams around the country. I think ISU is out of the picture because they would have only one "quality win" ( and that win over Cal Poly was greatly diminished by their loss to Davis) and only 6 D-1 wins. Also ISU will not be ranked. I can still see the Big Sky getting anywhere from two to four teams in the playiffs, but NAU and Cal Poly's losses did not help the conference at all.

Skippy is right about NAU and Cal Poly loses did not help the conference. The FCS playoff format is 16 teams, with eight teams being automatic qualifiers as conference champions, and eight at-large berths are awarded. If Montana beats MSU this upcoming Saturday, I would say that EWU, MSU, and Montana are in the playoffs because they are ranked teams and will finish the the season with 7 or more D1 wins. ISU, NAU, and Cal Poly are out of the playoffs this season. I believe the FCS committee will only select EWU and MSU to the playoffs if Montana loses to MSU.

It will be hard for ISU to make the playoffs in the future unless the Bengals win the Big Sky Conference or only lose one game in the Big Sky. Maybe, ISU should look at playing one or two non-conference FCS teams in the future rather than playing two D-2 teams? Is that possible?

up for the challenge said:
It will be hard for ISU to make the playoffs in the future unless the Bengals win the Big Sky Conference or only lose one game in the Big Sky. Maybe, ISU should look at playing one or two non-conference FCS teams in the future rather than playing two D-2 teams? Is that possible?

Ha, ha, ha.... are you new around here?

ISU is in a bind, not enough money to compete at this level.... then play money games, destroy confidence, destroy playoff hopes = not enough money.

However, this is the first year since 2002 where the schedule has mattered.

Skippy is right about NAU and Cal Poly loses did not help the conference. The FCS playoff format is 16 teams, with eight teams being automatic qualifiers as conference champions, and eight at-large berths are awarded.

The FCS playoff format is 24 teams. This is the second year that 24 teams are involved.

FCS normally play an 11 game season, this year and last are the occasional exception. Thus, you'll probably see 2 FBS and one D2 for an out of conference schedule. If you replace that D2 with another FCS opponent, then you're going to have seasons with only 4 home games and 7 away. ISU isn't in the position to guarantee a home FCS game without scheduling a return game for the future.

my bad. so, ISU still has a chance to make the playoffs if we win against Weber State and Montana loses to Montana State? Or would Montana still make the playoffs if they lose to MSU because Montana is a ranked team?

Sorry you guys didn't knock off the Cats, I certainly thought you would. Scheduling killed you, a team MUST have a minimum of 7 D1 wins.
Kramer is right there is no chance of making the playoffs.

clawman said:
Scheduling killed you, a team MUST have a minimum of 7 D1 wins.
Kramer is right there is no chance of making the playoffs.

That's not exactly true.

Section 2•3 Selection Criteria

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than
six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

The NCAA even made a point to underline the word may.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/PreChamp_D1_Football_2014-15_Revised2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Less than 7 wins really does hurt you, and ISU's chances are slim to none, but as has been mentioned on here before, there have been cases where teams with less than 7 D1 wins have made the playoff field.

biobengal said:

Ha, ha, ha.... are you new around here?

ISU is in a bind, not enough money to compete at this level.... then play money games, destroy confidence, destroy playoff hopes = not enough money.

However, this is the first year since 2002 where the schedule has mattered.

Mike Kramer said on the post-game show yesterday that Jeff Tingey is trying to get ISU out of the two money games per year, but hasn't been successful so far. He noted ISU has to make a decision -- only play one money game and go for a playoff berth, or play two FBS games and be satisfied with 8-4 (7-4 in 11-game seasons, which we'll be in for the next several years) and no playoffs. Tough spot to be in.

The only way I see ISU getting in is If MSU crushes Montana and NAU loses. ISU would then be the only Big Sky team with 2 conf losses--both on the road, close games against EWU and MSU, with ISU in a position to win.

It would be great to get the 2 FBS teams off the schedule every year. Even if it's every other year, it would be better than the current situation. Playoffs would bring more visibility and an even more energized fan base.

The at-large herd thinned considerably this week…

Montana now seems to be a lock if they win.
Montana State will probably make it even with a loss.
Idaho State has a solid chance even without 7 DI wins, I would think (SHSU got in without 7 DI wins last year).
NAU still has a shot too, plus they'd get the auto-bid with a win, a Montana win over MSU, and an EWU loss.
Cal Poly is finished.

Latest posts

Back