• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

4 Arrested from ISU Football Program

Bengal Roar

This is straight up BULL SHIT!!!!Where do you draw the line? Yea, kids do dumb things sometimes but it seems some just don't learn. Way to be team players guys. Did you think of your team mates and the burdens you put on the team and the way you represent ISU? And another thing, What type of example do some of the coaches set when they make the papers and police log as much as the players? Remember the coach last year in the police blotter and now this? Nice job setting examples coaches. No wonder you have no discipline!!!!!! Pure Bull Shit!!!!!

Four arrested From Isu Football program

Players accused of shoplifting, a coach charged with DUI

BY KELVIN ANG
[email protected]

The Idaho State football team has another public relations black eye to deal with after three players and a cornerbacks coach were arrested in separate incidents.
The team has dismissed Ryan Anchetta-Major and Travis Anderson and placed Keith Goins Jr. on probation after the three players were arrested in a shoplifting incident March 30 in Idaho Falls, said Frank Mercogliano, Idaho State’s assistant athletic director for media relations. Cornerbacks coach Brandon Valeria was arrested and accused of drunken driving on April 4. He returned to the team Friday after being placed on administrative leave for most of its spring practices.
Anderson faces a charge of felony grand theft, while Anchetta-Major’s charge of felony grand theft was reduced to misdemeanor petit theft after he reached a plea agreement with Bonneville County prosecutors.
Goins has been placed on unsupervised probation after his charge of felony grand theft was reduced to a misdemeanor charge of principal to petit theft.
Court records show Goins spent one day in jail, while Anderson and Anchetta-Major have not been incarcerated. Further details about the cases were not immediately available.
This comes after the Bengals dismissed redshirt freshman Brandon Green and punished two other players, Jake Rouser and Todd Nakano, after the three were cited by police for misdemeanor alcohol and marijuana possession in January.
“I know our studentathletes are going to make mistakes, but it’s disappointing when this happens,” ISU interim athletic director Jeff Tingey said of the latest incidents. “Eventually, those decisions are going to bite you back. These are decisions that bit back not only for these student-athletes, but for their teammates and coaches.”
Idaho State head football coach John Zamberlin did not return phone calls for this story, while Valeria and the three players were not available for comment.
Goins played 11 games last year, starting seven games at strong safety and recording 45 tackles during his junior season. Anderson, a linebacker, played in one game and recorded one tackle in his redshirt sophomore season, while Anchetta-Major, a wide receiver, did not record a statistic.
The players, all of whom were scholarship athletes and members of Zamberlin’s first recruiting class, were absent from the team’s first scrimmage April 11. At the time, Zamberlin said he excused them so they could focus on academic issues.
Tingey said he found out about their run-in with the law on April 14 and suspended all three from the team on April 16. He said the team didn’t initially find out the players had been arrested because it occurred in Idaho Falls, and it came to Zamberlin’s attention only when the parents of one of the players — Tingey didn’t know which — contacted the coach about it.
After investigating the charges, Idaho State decided Wednesday to dismiss Anchetta-Major and Anderson. Goins was allowed to return to the team because his charge was reduced. Tingey said Goins was charged not with shoplifting but with being found with Anderson and Anchetta-Major when police arrested them. Goins can apply to have the charge expunged at the end of his probationary period.
“I would like to see better ownership from the existing players on the team,” Tingey said. “Ownership for mistakes. Ownership for teammates. Ownership for the team itself. In doing so, it’s something that will make the team stronger.”
Tingey also said he was considering implementing alcohol education courses for athletes and coaches in the wake of Valeria’s DUI charge. Valeria, who has coached two seasons at Idaho State, had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.104 when he was arrested by Idaho State Police. The legal limit is 0.08.
“I’m concerned that we’ve had a couple of cases involving alcohol abuse, and we want to make sure that everything is looked into in the full extent,” Tingey said. “We want our student-athletes and coaches to make wise decisions because those decisions affect not only themselves but their coaching staffs, the teams themselves and their university.”
Tingey said the latest incidents are not indicative of a trend within the football team.
“Coach Zamberlin and his staff will rein in and reel in this team,” Tingey said. “But a big part of this has to do, I believe, with the seniors and their leadership with their teammates.”

This is unfortunate and I agree the lack of discipline is disturbing, especially when it comes from leadership positions.

yeah!!! they keep this crap up and in a few years they might be an all pro in the nfl with a huge contract!!!! drinking and stealing - never heard of such a thing from football players/coaches.... one of these days they even start fights and shoot at each other and stuff.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Attitude reflects leadership." That's one of my favorite quotes (Remember the Titans). This news and other recent events swirling around the FB program are very disturbing. Come on guys. We want to stand behind you and give you the support you need to win. But this makes it tough. Z, you and your boys need to pick it up. People make mistakes, but how do you show kids the right way when the coaches are out of control as much if not more than the players?

Wow. You have to laugh at this but at the same time cry.

When I said I wanted ISU to emulate The U, I wanted us to emulate the swagger and the killer mentality on the field, not the off-field antics.

Shit's crazy, dawg.

What an unfortunate event or series of events for ISU athletics and the school. This really does not help the cause with budgets tightening up, Bengal fund drives kicking off, and all with a football team that doesn't even draw a crowd with free tickets. Really nice. The hammer needs to come down hard and fast to clean up the mess and show that this nonsense is not tolerated at all. Otherwise, we're all sinking heart and soul into programs that are thumbing their noses at the "remaining" supporters. Too bad the kids that do the right thing and excel in the classroom and on and off the field have to be considered as teammates of these criminals or to be PC: alleged criminals. Sweep 'em out. There are plenty of good kids out there who can play AND bring credit to the school.

As I read the story, Prince, two of them are already gone and one has been placed on probation. The coach was suspended. I think it's safe to say Goins and the coach are down to their last chances.

I DA H O STAT E F O OT B A L L

Latest incidents up pressure on head coach

Kellis Robinett’s column appears on Sundays. Call him at 239-3136 or e-mail [email protected] with comments or story ideas.

It’s been nearly seven months since I’ve written about John Zamberlin’s job security at Idaho State.
That may come as a surprise to some of you, considering that I have pointed out on my blog and in everyday conversation numerous times that I expect the Bengals football team to be even worse this coming season than it was last year when it won just a single game.
But the important people at Idaho State have more or less told me during the past few months that they have already made up their minds on Zamberlin. He is their coach. Not even a winless season could hurt him, they told me.
As long as he persuaded his players to act like they cared on a weekly basis and didn’t do anything to publicly embarrass the university, he would be retained.
So I backed off. If they could not be swayed, there was no use trying to convince them. I decided, at the least, to wait until a few more games were played.
But I can wait no longer.
Zamberlin’s job isn’t safe. It can’t be.
Not after three of his players were recently arrested on shoplifting charges in Idaho Falls and one of his coaches was booked for a DUI. Especially not after three other players were cited for misdemeanor alcohol and marijuana possession two months before that.
Just like everyone else in these brutal economic times, his job is in jeopardy. If he wants to save it, he better start winning.
It’s no longer negotiable. The coach who has just four wins to his name in two years at Idaho State has to do better. I would ask for a near-.500 record. At the least, he needs to show major progress next season.
The formula he and the ISU athletic department were using to justify the “good” job he was doing no longer works. Until recently, he was billed as a disciplinarian who recruited kids with character and ran a program the right way.
His teams may not win right away, it was thought, but at least fans don’t have to worry about his players showing up in the police blotter on a consistent basis.
That’s what everyone wanted after Larry Lewis was fired. His players were notorious troublemakers and publicly embarrassed Idaho State on a bi-monthly basis. He had no control over them.
But there are Idaho State fans who now long for the Lewis days, because even though his players weren’t model citizens, they at least won games. Even a Big Sky conference championship.
Right now, Zamberlin’s team has all of Lewis’ weaknesses and none of its upside.
Fans will tolerate everything from NCAA violations to the occasional arrest from a team that wins. No amount of bad publicity will distract people from a championship. Think Montana football.
But they will also accept a losing team as long as it is full of role models and never does anything wrong. Think Tom Crean and Indiana basketball.
But no one will stand for a mixture of the two evils.
That’s what Idaho State is right now: A losing football team — one of the very worst in the country actually — that can’t stay out of trouble.
Does anyone want to take a guess on how bad attendance will be next season?
To Zamberlin’s credit, he has booted two of the alleged shoplifters from the team and placed another on probation. The coach has also dismissed one of the marijuana/alcohol possessors from the team.
He has not turned a blind eye to the transgressions. He is doing what must be done and is dealing with problems that happen to the majority of college football teams in a decent manner. It’s not like he’s making them run windsprints.
But the transgressions, which are by no means small, still happened under his watch. They were all his recruits, and the coach was his hire.
We were told those screw-ups weren’t going to happen when he was hired. Like it or not, he must shoulder some blame for this.
And now he must win. It’s his only option.
I don’t care how much Idaho State administrators like him. Nobody wants a coach who combines losing with lawlessness.

COMMENTARY KELLIS ROBINETT

There are all kinds of things you can say about this, and I'm pleased that two of the players are gone, and I'm not sure why all 3 aren't (I haven't talked to anyone at ISU about this). It is NOT good news, and it's not good that this stuff is still going on, but there's something about Kellis' column that bothers me mightily:

"So I backed off. If they could not be swayed, there was no use trying to convince them. I decided, at the least, to wait until a few more games were played.
But I can wait no longer.
Zamberlin’s job isn’t safe. It can’t be."

Since when it is a member of the media's job to convince school and athletic officials that a coach needs to lose his job??? It's one thing to report on games...and it's yet another to blog and opine. But I don't see how a reporter can cover a team or school with any objectivity if he's actively trying to get a coach dumped? If they disregard his opinions, expressed to them personally, how can he be expected to present an accurate and unbiased picture of the school or program in the future?

As for me, I am paid by the university to call ISU games, which is much different than if I were hired by a local radio station. When I was announcing games for a radio station, I pissed coaches and others off a couple of times by reporting stories that they didn't want to get out. But at that time the radio station was paying over 30-thousand a year to ISU for "broadcast rights", and the station paid my full-time salary. My job was as a reporter. Now it's different, because I'm paid by ISU. Fans expect me to be a cheerleader for ISU, yet I try to be as fair and accurate during games as possible because if I'm not, you can't trust anything you hear me say. If I rip the refs every time they call something against ISU I lose my credibility, since more often than not they make correct calls. I want fans to be able to watch with their own eyes and hear words that confirm what they see.

But in today's world, we more and more often see so-called "journalists" come to a job with an agenda. And now it appears that the agendas exist not just in news coverage, but in sports, too. My sense is this...if a "reporter/journalist" is going to "cover a team or school". they should not also be writing columns about that team or school. If they're going to write a column and opine, then don't be a reporter, be a columnist.

I like Kellis. I think he's a good writer and a good reporter. But when you put a reporter in a position to offer personal opinions and be a "reporter" at the same time, you force him to cross a line...and every time he crosses it it becomes a little more blurred. After reading Kellis" column, can you say that you can ever again expect him to provide unbiased reporting of ISU athletics? Maybe. But every time he puts a negative slant on a story, how can you know that it's really the truth...or if his own opinions and biases got in the way?

Recently, I got into some hot water at KISU radio for having a news director/anchor that was actively campaigning door-to-door for Pres. Obama's programs, violating every solid ethic in journalism. I had to take away those responsibilties from her, not without some prodding from The Journal. Rightfully so. You can't trust a "journalist" that's campaigning door-to-door for a president or a party. I fear the Journal has put Kellis in that same position. It's unfortunate.

I may regret this post, because as I said, I like Kellis...this is not anything personal against him. But just having had my recent "news reporting" experience at KISU, I couldn't let this go without comment.

After reading his interview with M. Hoge, it was obvious to me that Kellis has an axe to grind with ISU. This little blog is really no different. I would think that a member of the print media would need to be a bit more careful about levying to much of an opinion one way or another.

With that said, I think his current story is mostly spot on.

VOTB, I am sure that you already know this--but you linked to the Statesman article and here is the link to the blog:

http://isubengalblog.blogspot.com/

I want to clarify what I mean by saying the article was mostly spot on. My point is this--keep losing and these things become unforgivable. Win some games and more folks are going to turn the other cheek. It may be harsh and it may be unfair, but this is the world we live in. Wrong or right, more often than not--it is human nature.

I think the punishments are appropriate and I support the actions that ISU has taken. As far as I am concerned this issue has been taken care of. But, you can't keep losing games and keep having things like this happen and not expect fans and the community of Pocatello to be agitated. Losing does this to everyone--from Pop Warner to the pros.

I did see something about the Idaho assistant coach in there today.

This was in the paper today......

ISU coach acts on problems

POCATELLO -- Idaho State Football Coach Jon Zamberlin acknowledges that the recent arrest of three players and a cornerbacks coach is serious, and places the blame squarely at his own feet.

"The buck stops with me. I'm the head football coach. I run the program, and I'm responsible for all these guys," Zamberlin said. "If a young man makes a bad decision, it's a reflection on the program I'm running, and we're making an effort to clean it up."

The team recently dismissed Ryan Anchetta-Major and Travis Anderson and placed Keith Goins Jr. on probation after the three players were arrested in a shoplifting incident March 30 in Idaho Falls and charged with felony theft. Cornerbacks coach Brandon Valeria was arrested and accused of drunken driving on April 4 in Bannock County.
Zamberlin said he contacted ISU Interim Athletic Director Jeff Tingey immediately upon hearing of the incidents and then issued the dismissals and suspensions.

"These guys made bad decisions, and they paid the price," Zamberlin said of the student athletes. "Two of them are no longer with the program. One of them is a teachable situation."
Regarding Valeria, Zamberlin said he suspended him through most of spring practices.

Details about the alleged shoplifting incident, including where it occurred and what was taken, have not been released. The Bonneville County Sheriff's Office turned down a request Monday for more information.
Anchetta-Major is expected to plead guilty to an amended misdemeanor theft charge on June 4. Goins has already been sentenced on an amended misdemeanor theft charge, receiving a one-year probationary period and a withheld judgment. Anderson had a preliminary hearing Monday, but no further information was obtainable.

Valeria's pretrial hearing is set for May 13.
"This was nothing that was hidden," Zamberlin said. "Obviously it was a serious offense and we took what we felt were appropriate actions, and I'm not judge and jury. We'll let the legal system take its course. You teach your kids to make the right choice. They make a bad one, and they're held accountable for it. We want our kids in the paper for the right reasons."

Zamberlin said the seriousness of the incidents is clear to the team.
"We are in the business of teaching these kids. We're dealing with 18, 19, and 20-year-old kids who will make mistakes," he said. "The seriousness of this is not taken lightly."

By Journal Staff

My problem is the lack of transparency in the athletic department. Why the lack of a press release? Were these athletes the ones sitting out of the spring game to focus on academics? I wonder if the athletic department was to have announced the players and coach were suspended due to breaking team’s rules, would that statement “soften” the blow to the community? In my opinion, these incidents have reinforced the community’s distrust of the athletic department. I wish the announced actions of the athletic department would have been made prior to the investigation by the Journal.

wow... those last two posts show some real deep thinking.. i'm just stunned... :lol: :lol:

the communitys distrust of the athletic departement??? where do you get that? or is that just some thinly veiled dig at a department YOU don't like for whatever reason? all thats going on and thats all you got?

it is not the athletic departments duty to anyone to pass on every negative thing that occurs....

that being said - funny how the starter didn't get his walking papers.... :lol: :lol:

Goins got moved to WR this spring, and I'd be surprised if he winds up as a "starter" there. He was moved because ISU already had more depth at safety and he wasn't going to be a starter there, either.

I have an answer shortly on the BengalBlog ... suffice to say in short, I tried something different from the norm, and it obviously didn't go like folks thought LOL.

ISUSID

I'm back! (just as 2. not the original).
"wimper bunguls, wimper. cry bunguls cry." thats the fight song.

unfortunate that poca-smell-hole people still look at the present and pretend to look at the future.
How do you change a deadend program??
A: $$$$.
and lots of it.
Too bad this isn't gunna happen. 2010=new staff. 2013=three losing seasons and new staff. 2016=three losing seasons and new staff. 2019=three losing seasons and new staff.

1982-2009 = roughly 22 losing season. 7 winning seasons. Zero playoff appearances.

Latest posts

Back