• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

A 7-year Bengal Anniversary....

FormerISUSID

https://discover.twitter.com/first-tweet#ISUBengals

The very first tweet sent way back when on this date in 2009.

Former ISU SID (Frank)

Happy Anniversary Frank!

You have no idea how much you are missed. Unfortunately, ISU still hasn't grasped the concept of changing technology. I listen to the coaches show, and it's the same exact coaches show from 10 years ago. From 20 years ago. The website rarely makes use of social media. The announcing staff does not either. No texting. No Twitter. No Facebook. No Instagram. No Youtube. I wish ISU would listen to an NAU broadcast with Mitch Strohman to see how interactive he has made broadcasts.

You really had us going in the right direction. It has stalled.

And we miss you. Still.

+1 on this Sasquatch.

Frank was fan friendly and understood that fans have a thirst for information. Rosters are rarely if ever accurate and you don't tend to see them until way late in the process.

Heck we don't even get to see media guides anymore. Hell maybe they don't exist.

All we hear is money, money, money and folks are stretched too thin.

Forget about things staying in neutral, things have went backwards since FM moved on.

:+1:

Hell, I still have the old Bengal Blog bookmarked and go back to read old stories by Frank, Brad, and others from time to time... :lol:

http://isubengalblog.blogspot.com/

sasquatch said:
Happy Anniversary Frank!

You have no idea how much you are missed. Unfortunately, ISU still hasn't grasped the concept of changing technology. I listen to the coaches show, and it's the same exact coaches show from 10 years ago. From 20 years ago. The website rarely makes use of social media. The announcing staff does not either. No texting. No Twitter. No Facebook. No Instagram. No Youtube. I wish ISU would listen to an NAU broadcast with Mitch Strohman to see how interactive he has made broadcasts.

You really had us going in the right direction. It has stalled.

And we miss you. Still.

I can only speak for myself but I only do limited Twitter (and that is along the lines of This Date In ISU Women's Basketball History or factoids on ISU WBB) for three reasons...1) I don't think anybody cares what I think especially about things like what I ate for breakfast (i.e. inane things that I see on Twitter posted by people) 2) people have gotten fired, MANY people have gotten fired (including in the sports world) because of things posted innocently and without malice that someone got upset over and I need this part time job and 3) I have no idea how to do some of the things you mentioned and during an actual broadcast I don't think I could pull off doing both especially going solo on road games.

Sorry. I do the best that I can.

Regarding the coaches show I worked in "Where Are They Now" and tried to get live interviews with it from former members of the ISU family, the previous season before this one. Not making excuses but you can only do so much by yourself.

In the past I have presented written formal proposals suggesting things for consideration and possible implementation. Among them in broad general terms:

A. Things that could be done in connection with celebrating the 40th anniversary of ISU women's basketball which took place a few seasons ago.

B. A few months ago some things that could be done to honor past former great players for ISU women's basketball as far as some banners with honored names and uniform numbers.

C. When I was still in the studio for football I contacted every Big Sky school to get an idea of what they were doing for their pre and postgame shows, how long they went, did they have any special segments or features that were regularly a part of it, how many people actually worked on those shows. I presented some ideas to Paul Bubb the A.D. at the time and also suggested a post game call in show. I got the go ahead on the post game show and we did it for one year. I was told the following year that we wouldn't be able to do it because they were not able to get any sponsors.

And I miss Frank too, he was probably my best friend we shared many laughs together.

PBP

bengalcub said:
+1 on this Sasquatch.

Frank was fan friendly and understood that fans have a thirst for information. Rosters are rarely if ever accurate and you don't tend to see them until way late in the process.

Heck we don't even get to see media guides anymore. Hell maybe they don't exist.

Forget about things staying in neutral, things have went backwards since FM moved on.

Media guides in print form no longer exist at universities. There may be some out there that still print them but if so not many. 99% of schools are now on-line only. I prefer the print version myself but that's the way things are today.

PBP

My reference was made regarding online media guides. I don't see recent years on the athletics site anymore.

bengalcub said:
My reference was made regarding online media guides. I don't see recent years on the athletics site anymore.

I'm not sure if this is what you are seeking but for example this is on the Women's Basketball Page on the web site. It's called, "Benglepedia..."

http://www.isubengals.com/sports/2012/10/23/WBB_1023121108.aspx?id=105

PBP

bengalcub said:
+1 on this Sasquatch.

Cub, I know this for a fact. Even if you give the athletic department a great deal of money, then don't expect much in return, except for a good seat at FB games. Free tickets to games, forget about it!

Huh? Please clarify O&B?

Liptak, look at what is showing under Football and men's basketball. It appears that woman's basketball is way more updated than the two flagship sports. I think what is placed on the website is vital in recruiting. I also believe the quality of radio broadcast and the quality of video production do make a great deal of difference to the fans and potential recruits.

Bengal:

I don't know what O&B means.

I agree with you that everything that can be done to improve the image of a university athletic department is a good thing. I don't know if I'd use the term "vital" regarding how web sites impact recruiting though... important sure, but I don't know if I'd go with the term vital. From talking with athletes who went to ISU they usually say what got them here was the connection with the coaches, the educational impact depending on what they want to major in and in women's basketball specifically how well the other players treated them when they came for a visit. Have never once heard the term web site brought up.

I also agree that quality is important in production aspects of games. NAU is top notch for one example because of their association with Fox Sports Arizona. Their equipment, the number of folks they have working on a broadcast, their resources - first rate. Essentially they have a small TV station doing their games, have been in their equipment trucks and they use six HD cameras just for men's and women's basketball.

Just speaking directly for myself (ask the folks at KISU) quality is always at the top of the list for me when I do a game-from a preparation aspect to the technical parts of it (i.e. clean / tight rejoins coming out of commercial breaks to cite one example. I hate dead-air or sloppiness... always have even back in my TV days)

Just a personal opinion when you mention 'flagship'. Given the history of the programs the last 15 years you'd have to say women's basketball really is the flagship program for ISU during that time period based on wins, post season trips, graduation rate of players and so forth.

I know where you are coming from however since at most colleges it is football and / or men's basketball.

PBP

I did not understand Orange and Blacks comment.

No doubt the woman's programs have enjoyed success--the point, keep the entire website updated and take it serious.

We can agree to disagree on recruiting. The whole perception of the university matters. Educational programs, facilities, etc...they all matter. But, I can promise you this the website does matter, this website matters, Twitter matters, merchandise matters, quality video feeds with audio syncing matter. Furthermore, quality audio broadcasts matter. With technology, kids and families can look and listen to schools and athletic program in ways they could not before. That makes the ISU athletics website a critical tool in marketing and branding. The recruiting process is year long and potential recruits are investigating what Idaho State has to offer all the time. They look at past records and players. They look at facilities and they watch and listen to audio and video feeds.

FM helped initiate a quality cutting edge athletic site for Idaho State. I wish current SID would take it just as serious and many others do as well.

Bengal:

If this helps, I'm spending time each day researching something for next year called This Date In ISU Women's Basketball History which I will use during broadcasts on days they play (if there is something historical that also happened on that date), for this web site and on Twitter whenever that day comes up in the year.

Am doing this on my own simply because I want to and I'm a guy that has always been interested in history.

I have found while going through records that some things in Benglepedia for ISU Women's basketball are wrong and have alerted the conference and Jenna Galloway from the sports information office. She and I will be working to track down the inconsistencies and get them corrected. This is a time consuming process, probably spend 45 minutes to an hour every night going through pages. Jenna has told me getting the records accurate is very important to her and she is going to start going through the old box scores from the 80's and 90's to see what can be discovered.

I think this is a feature that you will like next year. Will start in November.

PBP

You guys are awesome and way to kind. I will always look fondly on my 12 years at Idaho State. SIDs service many different groups, from media, to parents, to just as importantly, fans. Fans like to know they are in the know ... I always felt comfortable that I was open and accessible (sometimes too open LOL).

I do think I bring that same stuff to UNM (I post regularly on two fan boards and engage on twitter as well). We have a cool graphics program and do a lot with social media. It's very fun for me ... technology keeps me young (I'm 46 so believe me, I need it.)

And I miss Liptak too ... loved our BBQs and cook-outs brother ... those were great times!

Former ISU SID

Latest posts

Back