• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

A Look Ahead, 2016-17 ISU Women's Basketball

PBP

A Look Ahead…

As always you have to take this with a grain of salt…a LOT can happen before August rolls around and “open gym” begins to say nothing of before October comes and practices “officially” begins but based on the current roster and the early signees, here is how the 2016-17 ISU Women’s Basketball roster is shaping up.

The ‘class’ years by the way, are based on athletic eligibility remaining not academically. Many of these players are actually ahead in their studies; some will graduate early but still have eligibility remaining.

Here’s what I’ve got:

Redshirt Senior:
Freya Newton

Seniors:
Brooke Blair
April Dawson * (walk-on)

Redshirt Junior:
Lindsey Brown

Junior:
Juliet Jones

Redshirt Sophomores:
Megan Hochstein
Grace Kenyon
Jenna Morch

Sophomores:
Isabel Vara de Rey
Saylair Grandon
Brittany Kochenderfer

Redshirt Freshman:
Sai Tapasa

Freshman:
Bianca Thacker * (signed in November period)
Estefania Ors * (signed in the spring period)
Irene Vicente * (signed in the spring period)

During the post-game show Saturday, assistant coach Mike Trujillo said ISU will ink at least one player during the spring signing period in mid-April. You can have 15 players on scholarship according to NCAA regulations. Anyone over that can join the team but cannot receive an athletic scholarship and are considered a ‘walk-on.’

Now if they can just stay healthy! I mean three straight years is more than enough wouldn’t you say?

PBP

I sure like this team for the next three years! Keep doing a good job of recruiting Seton! Thanks for a fun showing in Reno. TOTALLY made my trip.

With the announcement of two new signees from Spain in the spring period, I have update the roster at the top of this thread to reflect that.

To the best of my knowledge this is what ISU is looking at for the upcoming season as of right now.

PBP

I like this roster if the Bengals can keep everybody healthy: always a challenge, it seems. This should be a fun team to watch -- and listen to. I ran into Thacker today, love that Aussie accent.

PBP said:
A Look Ahead…

As always you have to take this with a grain of salt…a LOT can happen before August rolls around and “open gym” begins to say nothing of before October comes and practices “officially” begins but based on the current roster and the early signees, here is how the 2016-17 ISU Women’s Basketball roster is shaping up.

The ‘class’ years by the way, are based on athletic eligibility remaining not academically. Many of these players are actually ahead in their studies; some will graduate early but still have eligibility remaining.

Here’s what I’ve got:

Redshirt Senior:
Freya Newton

Seniors:
Brooke Blair
April Dawson * (walk-on)

Redshirt Junior:
Lindsey Brown

Junior:
Juliet Jones

Redshirt Sophomores:
Megan Hochstein
Grace Kenyon
Jenna Morch

Sophomores:
Isabel Vara de Rey
Saylair Grandon
Brittany Kochenderfer

Freshman:
Bianca Thacker * (signed in November period)
Estefania Ors * (signed in the spring period)
Irene Vicente * (signed in the spring period)

During the post-game show Saturday, assistant coach Mike Trujillo said ISU will ink at least one player during the spring signing period in mid-April. You can have 15 players on scholarship according to NCAA regulations. Anyone over that can join the team but cannot receive an athletic scholarship and are considered a ‘walk-on.’

Now if they can just stay healthy! I mean three straight years is more than enough wouldn’t you say?

PBP
Add Sai Tapasa to that roster.

BengalBannMan said:
http://www.isubengals.com/news/2015/11/11/WBB_1111155613.aspx
What about Gina Cerezula? Did we lose her?

Last I heard they weren't expected her to come now. Something must have changed.

PBP

BengalBannMan said:
Too bad. I was excited to see a 6'5" body in there. Oh well, we still look very strong!

I was, too. But her stats this season were horrific. It looks like too many programs were enamored by her height alone.

http://gonjc.com/sports/wbkb/2015-16/players/ginacerezuelaafzd

You're correct JJB. Not much for stats there, should have some serious rebounds at that height. Looks like this is a case of the "you can't teach height" recruiting.

You never want to try to single out a player or players since its very hard to even play at the division 1 level let alone play well. But I will say that next year, for ISU to achieve what they want, it's going to be very important for Megan to be healthy and to be able to play the post (which would let Lindsey stay at the forward spot which is where she is more comfortable) and that Sai continues to progress like she was doing in practice the final few months of this past year.

If those two are good to go then ISU has depth, flexibility and talent at all positions and if they stay healthy, should be able to make a good run for a title.

PBP

PBP

My memory is that Grace Kenyon had a red shirt year as a freshman. Does she automatically get a second red shirt year? I believe that Chelsea Pickering had to ask for a hardship or something to get a second red shirt year. I am hoping that Grace is back for 3 more (healthy) years as she is quite the player.

spudbowl said:
PBP

My memory is that Grace Kenyon had a red shirt year as a freshman. Does she automatically get a second red shirt year? I believe that Chelesea Picerking had to ask for a hardship or something to get a second red shirt year. I am hoping that Grace is back for 3 more (healthy) years as she is quite the player.[/

You're right she redshirted her freshman year after a previous injury. She will have to apply for a hardship season if she wants to play a sixth year.

spudbowl said:
PBP

My memory is that Grace Kenyon had a red shirt year as a freshman. Does she automatically get a second red shirt year? I believe that Chelesea Picerking had to ask for a hardship or something to get a second red shirt year. I am hoping that Grace is back for 3 more (healthy) years as she is quite the player.

Spud:

Grace did redshirt her first year on campus and will have to petition to get a sixth year of eligibility.

Considering she didn't play a single minute this past year the chances of her getting that additional (rare) sixth season are very good. Let's put it this way, she's expecting it and so is the coaching staff. If she gets it (and usually the request is made after the last normal year of eligibility) she will be able to play a full four years.

To the best of my knowledge she'd be the first ISU player to actually be around for six years. I don't know of any ISU men's player to ever do it and Chelsea only was around five years. She got the fifth year of eligibility for her freshman year when she only played in three games, 17 minutes because of a bad hamstring. The year she blew out her ACL at Montana State she had already played in 16 games so she was passed the limit to appeal because of an injury.

PBP

PBP said:
To the best of my knowledge she'd be the first ISU player to actually be around for six years. I don't know of any ISU men's player to ever do it and Chelsea only was around five years. She got the fifth year of eligibility for her freshman year when she only played in three games, 17 minutes because of a bad hamstring. The year she blew out her ACL at Montana State she had already played in 16 games so she was passed the limit to appeal because of an injury.
PBP

David Schroeder (basketball and track) was granted a sixth year of eligibility.

I immediately thought of Dave since I knew him but according to ISU he played in the 2002-03 and 2004-07 seasons. That's four years. Now add in the year he missed according to their timeline (2003-04) and you get five years.

Did he miss a season in 2001? Since that would be the only year possible for him to have been around six seasons and still have his final season played at 2006-07.

I know he lost two years to ACL injuries so I get where you are coming from, the numbers though don't add up and that's what confusing things.

PBP

PBP said:
I immediately thought of Dave since I knew him but according to ISU he played in the 2002-03 and 2004-07 seasons. That's four years. Now add in the year he missed according to their timeline (2003-04) and you get five years.

Did he miss a season in 2001? Since that would be the only year possible for him to have been around six seasons and still have his final season played at 2006-07.

I know he lost two years to ACL injuries so I get where you are coming from, the numbers though don't add up and that's what confusing things.

PBP
My memory ain't what it used to be, but I think David redshirted his freshman year to recover from one of many knee injuries. He truly was a remarkable athlete, I've never seen anybody rehabilitate with such focus and keep coming back from injuries. He was a terrific player on the basketball court and then topped it off on the track. And was recruited as a wide receiver out of high school. One of my truly favorite Bengals.

Thanks goodness for Frank's releases still lurking in cyberspace... ;)
Senioritis All Over Again as David Schroeder Gets Sixth Year of Eligibility Approved by NCAA

April 14, 2006

Pocatello, ID -- With a new coaching staff hot on the recruiting trail, head coach Joe O'Brien might have just gotten his most important recruit of all, and it didn't take a plane ticket to get him. The NCAA has announced that David Schroeder's medical hardship waiver has been granted, giving him a sixth-year of eligibility and making him a senior for the 2006-07 basketball season. Schroeder was also granted his waiver for outdoor track, meaning he will compete in that sport in the spring of 2007 as well.

Schroeder was second on the team in scoring last season with a 15.4 scoring average, and he led the team with 68 three-pointers. He was named All-Big Sky Conference last year, and he ended the year needing just five three-pointers to become the school's all-time record holder for career threes. David also has 760 career points, putting him just 240 away from becoming just the 17th player with 1,000 points in Idaho State history, and the first to hit that magical milestone since 1997, and only the fourth since 1979.

Schroeder has played just two full seasons at Idaho State, in 2002-03 and in 2005-06. In 2001-02, David redshirted while recovering from a torn ACl he suffered in high school. David then missed the 2003-04 season after tearing his ACL at Midnight Madness, the season's opening practice, and then he tore his other ACL in overtime of the third game of the 2004-05 season, a game in which he scored a then career-high 29 points against Southern Utah.

"I am very excited to be able to play again in 2006-07 and finish a full career," said David Schroeder. "I'm looking forward to getting back to basketball when track ends and working towards a great senior season." Schroeder has already earned his undergraduate degree in business management and he is working towards his Master's degree in finance."

"This is great news for David and the basketball program," said head coach Joe O'Brien, who is currently on the road recruiting. "David is obviously a hard worker, a great basketball player, and a great student. This will allow him to not only finish his basketball and track career, but finish his Master's work as well."

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/stories/041406aaf.html

Latest posts

Back