• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

A Look Ahead...

PBP

It's never to early to start looking ahead to next season for the ISU women's basketball team is it? LOL :D

With that in mind here is how the roster shapes up as of today. As always keep in mind a lot can change between now and August when open gym starts and between now and next November when the games begin...all you have to do is see what happened after last season ended and before this past season began!

Assuming nothing drastic happens here is the roster (updated on 4-24-14!!!!!)

Seniors
---------
Jasmine Lemon
Becca Schrimpsher

Juniors
--------
Anna Lee Policicchio
Apiphany Woods (*JUCO player / signed April 2014)

Redshirt Sophomore
----------------------
Freya Newton (*JUCO player / signed November 2013)

Sophomores
--------------
Kyndell Adams
Katrina Bacovcin
April Dawson (*Preferred walk-on)
Sherise Porchia

Redshirt Freshmen
----------------------
Lindsay Brown
Grace Kenyon

Freshmen
-----------
Megan Hochstein (*Signed November 2013)
Juliet Jones (*Signed November 2013)
Jenna Morch (*Signed November 2013)
Stephanie Somers (*Signed November 2013)

Total: 15 players

I have 14 scholarships given out which means Seton has one more to give should he choose to do so now.

They will be big overall with five players who could man the post or the front line about 6-1 1/2 or 6-2, Jones is also a 5-9 point guard...they'll have versatility and some depth but they will be a very young squad. Seton however always brings in sharp, intelligent players so I don't anticipate, certainly by the start of the next conference season the team being behind the curve in terms of picking up his motion offense and his defensive principles.

They will be fun to watch...so get your season tickets early when they go on sale! ;)

PBP

I am looking forward to Jon Newlee and the Idaho Vandals coming to Pocatello next season. That will be fun.

Speaking of Newlee and the Vandals, he ranted a bit after they won the WAC tournament, saying they deserved as high as a #10 seed. :lol: He said that "those people" don't respect the WAC at all, but they still dominated it. :roll:

As it turned out, Idaho received a #14 seed and will face Louisville. He's still bummed.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/mar/17/vandals-surprised-seed-foe-and-site/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well Jon, you "dominated" your conference, which just happened to rank #29 out of 32 conferences by RPI. The Big Sky, by the way, was #14.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Women.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Idaho rated #93 in RPI; in comparison, North Dakota was #75. Idaho also lost to EWU and Montana this season.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_200_Women.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will still be a good addition to the conference next year.

I have a feeling that like No. Dakota and So. Utah their first year in the league, Idaho is going to find out the Big Sky is much much better than the WAC in just about every phase of the game.

ISU actually ran into Idaho at Chicago's O'Hare airport back in November when both teams were in that city. Jordan Green spent a moment or two with the ISU players and coaches and was his usual warm, friendly self. It was good to see him. Said hello to Jon but he was on the phone at the time and could only wave back.

PBP

LOL The look on his face when they are announced as a 14 seed is priceless!

Bi93i5QCAAAtlQM.jpg:medium

PBP said:
I have a feeling that like No. Dakota and So. Utah their first year in the league, Idaho is going to find out the Big Sky is much much better than the WAC in just about every phase of the game.

PBP

Montana beat Washington State in the WNIT earlier this week, but more impressive was Southern Utah's 71-56 WNIT win last night in Fort Collins against Colorado State, the regular season Mountain West champs!

Sas:

Considering Montana played without Hill and Selvig (torn ACL's) and Vining (who also has an ACL injury although not as severe) what they did to WSU was pretty impressive also.

PBP

I wonder if Newlee might move on from Idaho rather than having to come back to the Big Sky? (I know that the Big Sky is now a far better conference than the "WAC" but when Newlee ISU he was excited to go what was once a bigger conference that was easier to recruit to.) I hope to see the Bengals beat them on New Year's (apparently) regardless who the coach is for the Vandals.

If Jon were to leave it won't be because he's now back playing in the Big Sky Conference you can be sure.

PBP

PBP said:
If Jon were to leave it won't be because he's now back playing in the Big Sky Conference you can be sure.

PBP

Yeah, that makes sense, I would think that he would want to move to a bigger conference and he might use the 25 win season this year to make such a move. We will see. Personally, I want to see him back in Reed Gym (and I have nothing but good memories of Newlee as a coach but I want the Bengals to beat UI, which I would want regardless of who the coach of the Vandals is).

Spud:

Given the way Jon talked about his time at ISU with some individuals that I know and the veiled shots he took at the school when he left to the Journal, I'll be very curious to see the reception he gets next January at Reed.

He was always courteous to me so I hold nothing against him and I suspect he'll get a warm reception (Jordan will too...) for the most part from the fans but we'll see.

ISU fans can afford to be a little more "generous" with their applause towards Jon given what Seton has accomplished in his tenure.

PBP

PBP said:
Spud:

Given the way Jon talked about his time at ISU with some individuals that I know and the veiled shots he took at the school when he left to the Journal, I'll be very curious to see the reception he gets next January at Reed.

He was always courteous to me so I hold nothing against him and I suspect he'll get a warm reception (Jordan will too...) for the most part from the fans but we'll see.

ISU fans can afford to be a little more "generous" with their applause towards Jon given what Seton has accomplished in his tenure.

PBP

Newlee should be given a warm welcome when he arrives in Reed. It shouldn't go overboard - no special presentations or anything like that - but a round of applause to show appreciation of what he accomplished as coach here. Then time to move on.

I was more disappointed in the way Newlee left than I was angry. Be gracious for the opportunity you had in coaching an NCAA division I program. Be gracious for the fans - usually well over 1,000 of them - who showed up to each of your home games. Be gracious to the wonderful people in eastern Idaho who accepted you, your family, your coaches, and your players into the community. Taking the potshots he did at not only ISU but the community as well really cemented in my mind that Newlee was a "ME" person. Openly wishing ill-will on a program - filled with players HE recruited - showed a true lack of compassion and class.

There's the old saying that some coaches take a job to build a resume, and some take a job to build a program. If you're building a program, the rest takes care of itself and you'll move onward and upward anyway. Seton has built a fine program, both on AND off the court. The way he has created bridges between the community and ISU is a lesson for all other coaches. The crab feed has become a great tradition in such a short amount of time, and it accomplishes so many objectives (among them, the money raised for scholarships and the bond formed between players/coaches and the community). The coaching clinic was a great way to reach out to the students, coaches, and schools in the area.

I have no doubt Seton will move onward and upward at some point in time. I also have no doubt he'll look back at ISU and appreciate the bad (16 hour bus rides anyone?) with the good.

JJB:

That's a well written and thought out comment.

I've always wondered if Jon knew he was going to leave before he actually did. What I mean by that is the schedule he left Seton with when he first took over.

You might not remember but the first seven games of Seton's coaching career at ISU were played on the road. Jon put that schedule together and what I always thought was strange about it was that Jon knew that both Doma and Lightfoot were graduating...yet he agreed to that schedule.

A coach as good as Jon is would never agree to something like that, unless he knew he wasn't going to be around to have to play it in my opinion.

Seton really was handed the short end of the deck when he started. A bad schedule, he only had seven scholarship players plus Kari Green who walked on that first season, he lost Pickering halfway through the year with a knee injury and some of Jon recruits were to put it simply "knuckleheads" (channeling my inner Charles Barkley) who were booted off the team in a hurry. Not a good situation.

Yet that team made it to the semi-finals of the Big Sky Conference post season tournament.

Says something about Seton from the get-go doesn't it?

PBP

PBP, hindsight of course is 20/20. Let's just say that there are many who wonder what was going on during that last season of his. While there were some great wins, the season itself seemed like a disappointment. Doma and Lightfoot were seniors coming off an NCAA berth, and they lost in the first round in Missoula to MSU. ISU was handily beaten in conference by Portland State - by 40 points in one game - and Jon, for lack of a better word, was a dick to anybody who asked him about that game. It really felt like the season was put on cruise-control during the conference schedule. I remember after a game he threw a player under the bus - don't remember who, but it doesn't matter - because she took a shot he felt she shouldn't have. He went on and on that she should have passed it to Doma, because that's what she's there for. It could have been a teaching moment, but he used it to embarrass and shame. Newlee was a Bubb guy.

If I could turn back time, I'd like to see what he could do with that season following the graduation of Doma and Lightfoot. I don't think he'd have made the conference tournament, even with the players who "followed" him to UI, but we'll never know. And no, I don't think he planned on coaching that team anyway.

JJB:

For what it's worth I know that Oana Iacovita told me that if Newlee stayed as head coach, she was transferring. Both her and Devin told me some horror stories about Jon. Maybe he's changed somewhat as he's gotten older and has had more experience.

PBP

Just to add to Newlee's last season. Chelsea Pickering was a freshman who I believe had some injuries and rarely played. He burned her freshman year instead of red-shirting her. She got that year back I believe because of hardship but it makes you wonder....

To the best of my memory, I think that Newlee was upset at ISU mainly because of budgetary reasons. Larry Lewis was terminated as football coach (I've asked ISU admin why and they refuse to comment about this), and ISU had to pay him a year on his contract. And we didn't have the cash on hand to pay him, so they had to make various budget cuts in various programs to come up with the money. And this hit women's basketball particularly hard, and I've heard this is why Newlee was upset with ISU. And most of us, including many Idaho fans, were shocked to see him take a lateral move from ISU to Idaho. But he's got a good enough track record now, that maybe another school may be interested in him.

Spud:

Chelsea played three games, 17 minutes her freshman year. She did get that year back.

Boise:

Your comments make sense although I have no way of knowing if that was the main reason or not.

Just a side note on Larry. I know from people in high players at the time that Larry was putting a lot of pressure on the folks in charge to basically give him an "unlimited" budget for football and that really rubbed other coaches the wrong way especially Doug Oliver the men's basketball coach. I was told the two really got into an angry shouting match at a meeting of all the coaches. I was also told Larry decided to start doing some things outside the chain of command when he was refused his "unlimited" budget.

I got along well with Larry so I have no idea if any of this is true or not but that's what I've been told over the years.

PBP

Latest posts

Back