• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

AJ Storms to LB.

bengalcub

The Journal blog has reported that AJ has been moved to LB. I think that means that Pleasant is going to be a STUD. Storms, in my opinion will be an excellent LB.

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/sports/?p=4487

Storming the field

Sophomore-to-be Storms gets comfortable in new position

BY KELVIN ANG

[email protected]
A.J. Storms can’t control the urge he feels every few hours to reach for the stash of Ramen instant noodles in his bedroom.
It’s called hunger, except Idaho State’s sophomore-tobe linebacker feels it more acutely than most people.
“I don’t know if I’d say six meals every day, but I do eat a lot more than I did before,” Storms said.
Already big for the safety position, Storms experienced a growth spurt over the offseason that added another 10 pounds of muscle to his 6-foot-1 frame. Now at 210 pounds, he left Idaho State with little choice but to bump him closer to the line of scrimmage as a linebacker, despite the fact that he earned all-conference honors last season as a defensive back.
It’s still early in spring camp, but already, Storms has taken a liking to his new position. And the Bengals have seen enough to predict good things will come from the move.
“He’s a heck of a football player for us,” Idaho State coach John Zamberlin said. “He’s grown into his body and into a linebacker. I believe the more guys you can move up, the more speed you’re going to have on the football field and the better defense you’re going to be.”
Storms has taken repetitions at the middle and outside positions, but Zamberlin said he mainly will be competing with Jeremy Gibson to be the Bengals’ starting weakside linebacker.
That decision didn’t catch Storms by surprise. His playing weight last season hovered around 200 pounds, but he knew he hadn’t stopped growing because his father’s body went through a radical metamorphosis during his college years as well.
Even without doing anything unusual — save for indulging his healthier-than-normal appetite — Storms found himself outgrowing the safety position over the winter.
“It just kind of happened,” Storms said. “It wasn’t anything I was trying to do.”
His newfound bulk has come in handy. Whereas he worried primarily about providing pass coverage in the past and occasionally had to shed a block from a wide receiver or a tight end, he now has to get used to fighting his way past offensive linemen on run plays.
So far, the former high school quarterback is enjoying his increased responsibilities, as well as the instant judgments it takes for him to read plays right at the snap. He might miss roaming the secondary once in a while, he said, but not more than he relishes charging into the whirlwind of action at the line of scrimmage.
“I like to think of myself as somewhat of a smart football player, so I feel like I’m picking it up pretty quick,” Storms said. “Linebacker is a lot of fun. There’s a lot more going on. There’s always contact every play. You’re always in the mix.”
So far, Storms hasn’t blatantly blown any assignments. But even if that did happen, it wouldn’t worry Zamberlin — not in spring camp anyway.
“It’s a lot of new stuff for him,” Zamberlin said. “He’ll make mistakes, but we tell him, ‘If you make a mistake, do it at 100 mph. Don’t worry about making a mistake. That’s our job to coach you.’”
Storms’ teammates have equally embraced this development, and not just because they’ve latched onto his weight as something they can tease him about.
Chris Holmesly’s return from eligibility issues gives Idaho State a glut of safeties, with Amir Owens, Dustin Tew and Phillip Pleasant also in the mix. The defensive backs agree Storms’ speed and power can be better utilized on the linebacking corps, which has lost starters Ryan Phipps and Brad Rife.
“Once he puts on some weight and gets a feel for linebacker, I’m sure he’ll be just as good a linebacker as he was a safety,” Tew said.
The first part of the equation — Storms’ weight — shouldn’t be too hard. The youngster estimates he might top out at 220 pounds by the end of his career.
Said Storms: “I’ve got a lot of Ramen noodles.”

Latest posts

Back