• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Annual Athletic Department Reports

Skippy

February is typically the month that Idaho athletic departments file their annual reports with the State Board of Education. I always find it interesting to see what trends are developing. Here is a quick summary of what the schools reported. You can find the full reports on the State Board of Education web site:

Idaho State is estimating a "revenue neutral" year in Fiscal Year 2014. They are showing total program revenue up 19 percent, but total expenses are expected to go up the same amount. The expenses are being driven in particular by a huge spike in "direct facilities, maintenance and rental," up almost 300 percent from $243 K last year to $971 K this year. I'm assuming this is related to new facilities coming on line like the outdoor football practice facility.

The top sources of revenue for ISU athletics continue to be: tax dollars (about $3.8 million), student fees ($2 million), game guarantees ($1.25 M), and royalties, advertising and sponsorships ($577 K). Revenues from all tickets sales are projected to be about $229 K, down 4.1 percent, with the biggest drops in womens' soccer (70.7 percent) and women's basketball (19 percent). Revenue from football tickets and men's basketball was projected to increase slightly (5.7 percent for football, 1.7 for men's basketball). The biggest expense are: scholarships ($2.3 M), coaching salaries ($2 M), staff salaries ($1.4 M), and team travel ($1 M).

An interesting note in football: ISU continues to use fewer than the 63 scholarship equivalents allotted. They are estimating 56 scholarships in use in FY 14, down from 58.5 last year. Since 2009, the number of scholarships used by football ranges from 48 in FY 09 to a high of 58.5 last year. I know in recent years ISU had been docked scholarships because of APR sanctions. It would be interesting to know why they aren't fully utilizing scholarships now.

The bottom line is that ISU athletics has $1.5 M in the bank and no debt, but the school's annual contributions ($420 K) mean the school is still extremely limited in what it can do as far as facilities maintenance and construction.

As to our "neighbors," BSU had net income of $1.1 M for the year, which gives it a funding balance of $939 K (which means that at some point, the Broncos had a negative balance). But fear not for BSU: they expect to sell $8.26 M worth of tickets and receive $12.1 M in contributions in FY 14.

The University of Idaho, meanwhile, expects net income of $106 K, and an ending funding balance of $590 K. U of I expects ticket revenues of $717 K and contributions of $3 M. The Vandals also leverage their "D-1" status in football to the tune of $3.17 M in game guarantees.

I would like some clarification about the number of scholarships used for football as well. To dip as low as 49 is disturbing.

Unless rules have changed, FCS schools have to award 90% of the 63 allowed scholarships in order for the FBS school to count that game toward bowl eligibility. If ISU is only awarding 58 scholarships, that's giving you a margin of roughly 1. There is no incentive for an FBS school to play an FCS if it doesn't count toward bowl eligibility. ISU is relying on the body bag games for revenue. See where I'm heading with this?

What amazed me about the report Brad wrote about was that Idaho somehow got 717 thousand dollars from ticket sales.

They must be selling them to people disguised as empty seats because no one and I mean NO ONE is actually showing up for football, men's or women's basketball games.

PBP

Just as some English departments offer a creative writing class, UI's business department also offers a creative accounting class.

In all seriousness, it reminds me of the time several years ago when they were explaining their finances to the state board - either the first time they played football in the Sun Belt or when they went to the WAC. They were showing a large amount of financial gifts in their revenue section of future budgets. The board asked them how they knew they'd have that same amount of gifts in future years, and they asked them to identify the sources. The UI hemmed and hawed for a while, and then it finally came out that the gift was coming from the president's office - the academic side.

Latest posts

Back