• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Any players sticking around this summer ?....

clawsout

....i remember back when a number of players would stick around.....taking classes....lifting weights....building camaraderie...there were even boosters that found them summer jobs, etc....

....the "employment" rules may have changed per the NCAA.....but does anyone know if any players are around ?....taking classes ?.....working out ?....building that important "chemistry" that good / great teams have ?

....or any last minute gossip / news on ISU football ?...... :coffee:

Coach David Fiefia tweeted this last week:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/d_fiefia/status/740328141697093632[/tweet]

up for the challenge said:
Why would any player stay in Pocatello during summer break other than those players needing to attend summer school or those players living near campus.
Some continue to hold their jobs they have during the school year, some have friends and a girl friend that makes a better situation here in Pocatello then they may have at "home". Plus Pocatello is just a nice place. Some want to continue to work on their game. Why wouldn't they stay if they could?

Full scholatship players go home during the summer months to stay with their families and work if they can unless there is a need for that full scholarship player to attend summer school as they have no scholarship money during summer break. Kramer encourages them to go home to spend time with their families and friends. He just ask them to report to camp in shape.

up for the challenge said:
Full scholatship players go home during the summer months to stay with their families and work if they can unless there is a need for that full scholarship player to attend summer school as they have no scholarship money during summer break. Kramer encourages them to go home to spend time with their families and friends. He just ask them to report to camp in shape. The only players that stay during summer break and work out together are the players attending summer school or from or live near Pocatello. It would be great if all of the players stayed in town and worked out together but that will never happen.

....I know ...in the past....some players (both men and women) have stayed during the summer and taken classes to avoid having to take heavier loads of credits during the fall and spring....when they are busy with sports and time is more valuable....taking a class or several during the summer allows them to take a lighter schedule during "their" sport when practice, traveling, etc takes them away from their classes...even if they had to pay for it themselves or their family.....probably allows them to get better grades and graduate on time.....if you add in what BengalBannMan listed......makes sense to me....

I can tell you that's it's basically a "given" with the women's basketball program and the players are going to stay at least part of the summer and take one or two classes. In addition, the changes in the NCAA rules allow summer workouts supervised by coaches so they do that a certain number of hours a week.

Generally the players, at least in women's basketball, go home for about a month over the summer either in July or August before returning a few days before classes start.

That's the main reason for the "Crab Feed" every November, to raise money for summer scholarships so the players can take classes to lighten the load and not have to pay for it themselves.

PBP

Most full scholarship football players the last 5 years under Kramer go home because they had a red shirt. That will probably change as Kramer said he plans to burn most of the full scholarships redshirts their freshmen year. That will force most of the full scholarship players to attend summer school to stay eligible. Parents will have to pay for their son room and board as no scholarship money is available for them during the summer months. That is okay in my opinion as full scholarship players want to play their freshmen year and it will allow them to work out together while attending Summer School during the summer at ISU. No one ever said a coach has to red shirt players. Also, there has been some players over the years deciding to move on for whatever reasons after their freshmen red shirt year. That was a waste of scholarship money in my opinion as we want players to stay and graduate.

I spoke to one of our players at church yesterday and he told me that they're working out every week, and they have somewhere between 20-to-30 players, or so...

http://www.lewiscountysports.com/?p=28763
Here's a few more players that are here right now working out. One is a brand new recruit! Good story, and good pick up for ISU to get a good athlete without using a scholarship.

Latest posts

Back