• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Any RBs on the Horizon?

skippy57.0

With Fletcher leaving the program and Knickrehm undergoing surgery, the Bengals are down to one RB for spring ball -- Ben LaPorta. Has anybody heard of any RB commits?

Skylar "Poke" Morgan, stud TB from Minico HS in Rupert, ID. He will eventually be a crowd favorite.. This kid TORE IT UP in HS..

Pleasant could be a kids that moves to RB as could Goins. Rumor has it that Goins will make a position change--may be to OLB, though.

Idaho State desperately needs a JC RB to be in for Spring or they may be in some trouble at that position. Losing an OC late in the recruiting season may have cost the Bengals some offensive talent. That can be a tough sell to recruits and ammunition to other schools.

Respectfully, how can losing a coordinator not hurt at all? I can promise that others schools are going to use that to sway young men. Maybe the switch in the coordinator (is a good thing long-term) helped the Bengals land some kids, but to say that the offensive coordinator did not have any relationships built up at all seems unlikely. Unless, Orthman was not recruiting and/or he was convincing kids not to come to Idaho State.

Can you explain to me how it has not hurt one bit?

Playing Devil's Advocate here... :twisted:

Cub...your assumption requires a belief that changing the OC is a bad thing. I believe the ISU coaching staff has used the change as a sign of progress in the program when speaking with potential recruits. It's true that opposing coaches might try and leverage the change in their favor, but if you're looking at coming off of a 1-win season...could an opposing coach really get a lot of mileage by suggesting ISU shouldn't have made a change?

Just some thoughts on how I would sell the change if I were recruiting for ISU, and how I would counter that argument if opposing coaches used it...

Cub,

I'm not going to bash anyone on an open forum here, but I can tell you that the switch has not hurt in recruiting. I talk with the coaches everyday I am in town....trust me on this one.

ISUSID

"...and the Lord of Lords said unto Cub, 'Cubbian, doubt not the abilities of Mercoglious the Sage, for he hast been ordained and granted knowledge of Bengalia far greater than mere mortals possess'..."

Hahahaha, wow I must be crazy

Great news that recruiting has not been hurt at all. It takes a special staff to be able to pull that one off, so late in the process. The way I see it, the OC has touched a number of kids during the summer with camps and of course recruiting during the season. It is amazing that Idaho State is getting all the kids that they want and not one has chose to go elsewhere because of the change. Kudos to the fantastic job that the Bengal football staff has done; turning a negative into such a positive recruiting tool. This feat is a true rarity in college athletics.

So, has anyone heard if Idaho State has gotten a commitment out of a JC RB as of yet? I'll bet that they got one--and we will all be very happy on signing day. The RB, LB and DL positions were places that Zamberlin said he anticipated going the JC route for talent during his last Dinner with the Coaches show.

Next Wednesday should be exciting for all the Bengal faithful. It is Wednesday isn't it?

I don't think we missed a beat in recruiting with Orthmann leaving. I know our staff picked up the slack right away and were off in his assigned area recruiting kids at the first opportunity.

I am liking what I am seeing so far with the early commits.
Great to hear the things being said by those that have committed to ISU.

Cub, as far as the JC RB, I too am in agreeance that we need a solid JC RB to come in and contribute ASAP. We are obviously depleted in that position.
I do know we are on a few JC kids at this position though.
One thing I might add, being down here in California and with a close eye on the JC's, I have noticed that there seems to be a "more than usual" amount of kids not being capable of leaving at midyear, versus having to finish the semester before coming up. I am not sure what the cause of it is, but I have talked with a few coaches around here and they have said the same thing about this year's kids.
This may have something to do with the small few midyear JC kids we were able to pick up so far.

Just an observation.

I certainly hope we can get a quality running back transferring in from a JC, or a 1-A dropdown, to help our program -- with Fletcher leaving. We'll see what happens next Wednesday. I really don't want to have to rely on Knickrehm -- if he's back from surgery by next fall -- ,LaPorta, or Skylar Morgan to start yet. Knickrehm is a fine back, but he's a bigger power back, and there's tons of backs out there who are definitely faster than he is. And Morgan was a fine back in high school, but will probably have to wait to get his chance at ISU.

Bengalbeliever, the NCAA began using a new software for determining eligibility last year. It nailed numerous JC kids including Holmsley last year. Schools seem to be trying to adjust to the change.

Latest posts

Back