• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

APR

ISUDude

I've heard rumors about possible sanctions. I'm hoping that they are just that, but I'm wondering if anyone else knows whats going on? APR scores come out soon?

wow.... apr sanctions will really put a hurting on us...

we might not win but like 2 games in two years...

jeez

Last reported APR's...

UM 939
EWU 931
UNC 929
NAU 919
PSU 911
Sac 897
MSU 892
Weber 881
ISU 876

Teams that score below 925 can lose up to 10 percent of their scholarships. Known as immediate penalties, these scholarships can be lost each year and not awarded until the following year. Teams can also be subject to historical penalties for poor academic performance over time.

Teams that receive three straight years of historical penalties (below 900 APR) face the potential of restrictions on postseason competition for the team (such as a bowl game or the men’s basketball tournament), in addition to scholarship and practice restrictions.

Four consecutive years of poor academic performance and APRs below 900 will result in restricted Division I membership for the school’s entire athletic department.

The NCAA requires any institution with a team below 925 APR to develop a plan for improving the academic performance of student-athletes with specific goals and steps to meet them. Teams below 900 must submit their plans to the NCAA national office for review. Idaho State football is currently on a waiver, but that waiver will expire in a few years according to Jeff Tingey.

Wow, last place in APR too? This really chaps me.

Maybe our APR scores would be higher (IF) those individuals that were at a local bowling alley last week with ISU clothing on (IF they are student athletes) would dig their noses deeper into the books instead of trying to get into verbal arguments and telling certain individuals what would happen to them if they were in California and ripping on Idaho and saying how lame it is here and lined up waiting outside for these individuals to come out of the bowling alley to do (who knows what) because certain people inside were too scared to walk to their cars and then they scatter like church mice in the parking lot once the PPD shows up. This story was told to me from an eye witness.

I have a few questions....If you don't like it here then why don't you leave? We don't need your virus thug attitudes here. I personally want student athletes that want to be here and want to better this community. What type of student athletes and what type of individuals are we bringing into the University?

I know there are 2 sides to every story and it only takes a few bad apples to spoil it for the rest of them but I see big problems.

Couple of notes about APR for the masses...one, Roar, careful with the here-say, but if that was true, it's the first I've heard of it and someone should have probably called over here (lord knows they call about everything else). Seriously, I don't want to make light of that, but if they were student-athletes, someone should notify someone over here so we can figure it out, because that's not what we are about. Seriously, that eyewitness should contact someone...I'm sure someone had a cell phone with a camera on it, right?

Now, I found out when the APR stuff gets released....and that would be noon our time tomorrow. I can't divulge anything until then, and I hope you understand that, but hopefully if I wrote this release correctly, it will explain most everything folks need to know.

One of the good things is that you tend to know about the APR so far in advance that you can plan ahead for it, if that makes sense.

Frank (ISUSID)

This report is based on NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR) data submitted by the institution for the 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, and 2006-07 academic years.

892 ISU Football APR for this period.

*Denotes APR that does not subject the team to a contemporaneous penalty because the team is performing better than the institution's general student body, or based on institutional, athletics and student resources.
*Denotes APR that does not subject the team to historical penalties due to the team's demonstrated academic improvement and favorable comparison based on other academic or institutional factors.

ONE YEAR LATER

This report is based on NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR) data submitted by the institution for the 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07, and 2007-08 academic years.

876 ISU Football APR for this period.

*Denotes APR that does not subject the team to a contemporaneous penalty because the team is performing better than the institution's general student body, or based on institutional, athletics and student resources.
*Denotes APR that does not subject the team to historical penalties due to the team's demonstrated academic improvement and favorable comparison based on other academic or institutional factors.

Note: Every Division I sports team calculates its APR each academic year, based on the eligibility, retention and graduation of each scholarship student-athlete. Teams that score below 925 on their four-year rate and have a student leave school academically ineligible can lose up to 10 percent of their scholarships through immediate penalties. Teams can also face historically based penalties for poor academic performance over time.

This is the fourth year of immediate penalties and the third for historically based penalties. Teams facing a third year of historically based penalties can be banned from postseason play, in addition to scholarship losses and restricted practice time resulting from a second year of long-term sanctions.

Next year, institutions could confront restricted Division I membership for the entire athletics department if a team has four consecutive years of poor academic performance.

The number of teams not meeting the benchmarks for historically based penalties (900 APR) and more immediate penalties (925 APR) fell dramatically over the last four years, with a remarkable drop occurring in the last year. Less than 10 percent of teams have APR scores below 925, and less than 4 percent have APR scores under 900.

Hopefully, the report issued today shows improvement as the conditional waiver cannot continue forever.

My prediction--ISU will place most of the blame things on Larry Lewis. Some improvements have been made--but not enough to avoid penalties if benchmarks are not reached in the near future. ISU submits plan to NCAA to get things back on track.

Cub
I understand that the values are averages over 4 years, but don't they release the individual year rates as well? That would be a good indicator of what is going on now.

As far as I know it is a rolling four year score only.

Looks like Cross Country is the lead story for the day---kudos to them:

ISU Women's Cross Country Earns National APR Recognition

Team scores a perfect 1000 in four year rolling score

ISU earned national recognition

May 12, 2010

Pocatello, ID --- The Idaho State University women's cross country team and head coach Brian Jannsen were given public recognition by the NCAA on Wednesday for a perfect 1000 APR score over the past four years. Full APR scores for all Division I universities and sports will be released in June.

Read more: http://www.isubengals.com/sports/w-xc/spec-rel/051210aaa.html

I had the date wrong in that yesterday was the national recognition...the full APR release isn't until June. I usually release the single year scores (and I will this year because for the most part they are stellar) ... it's a pretty thorough release with lots in there to digest as far as numbers and things.

Frank (ISUSID)

When does ISU's waiver with the NCAA expire? Does the football team need to be all the way up to 925 at that time? Also, if they are not up to 925 will penalties be assessed from that point only--or will they go retro and lump all of it together? Finally, can ISU be granted another waiver coming off the current waiver or exception. I do realize that waiver may be the wrong word.

Without getting into it we needed a 900 in order to show improvement. That was the score the NCAA is usually looking at when looking for an improvement. Three straight 900s clears a school of historicals and puts them back to square one so to speak...I think I have that right.

Frank (ISUSID)

Latest posts

Back