• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Article on Russ Hill

Bengal Roar

IDAHO STATE FOOTBALL ISU quarterback Russel Hill (17) must learn a new offense going into the 2010 season. Crash course for quarterback ISU senior quarterback Russel Hill said the new offense will give the Bengals “big advantages.”
Bengal senior faces challenge to absorb ISU’s new offense
BY JAY HEATER
[email protected]
In a quiet Holt Arena office, Idaho State senior quarterback Russel Hill was asked how he was going to help reduce his team’s penchant for the killer turnover.
“I am not going to force anything,” he said before looking up and smiling. “It doesn’t sound too difficult when you say it like that.”
On Sept. 4, the Bengals trade the serenity of the film room for the chaos of live college football. Hill, who has thrown for 28 touchdowns and 29 interceptions during his career, faces an enormous challenge leading up to the opener.
At a time when many senior quarterbacks know the offense like the back of their hand, Hill has been force-fed the plays of new offensive coordinator Phil Earley.
Besides the considerable task of learning the most complicated offense he has encountered, he also has been asked to do some major reworking of his footwork, which Earley refers to as “happy feet.”
Oh, and by the way, the Bengals have won only two games the past two seasons. No pressure.
“There are so many aspects of this offense in which I won’t be ready enough,” Hill said. “And I’ve only got one year.
“We will see how this works. I think I have made strides from spring to fall. This is an NFL system for a reason ... it works. It is multiple formations with multiple sets. We will give teams lots of different looks. We are going to run more plays ... by a lot. It is a very precise offense and the spacing is so key. But it can give you some big advantages.
“It’s not overwhelming, but at first, it looked like it would be. Everyone was swimming a little.”
Earley knows it can be tough for a quarterback to pick up a new system, but he said Hill is the perfect candidate to get the job done. “He is a tireless worker,” Earley said of the senior from Boise. “He is here consistently watching tapes and asking questions. He is a smart guy. We’re going to flood him early in camp, then you back off. “He said it might take him four games to get comfortable. I say four minutes in the first game, but he probably is closer to being right than I am.”
With head coach John Zamberlin committed to developing a stronger run game, a developing offensive line and some solid potential at running back, life could be much more enjoyable for Hill, who shouldn’t have to force things so much.
“They haven’t changed my mechanics so much, but in the past I have had choppy feet,” Hill said. “It’s like, the more you look, the less you see. Coach Earley has helped me to calm down.”
“I want him to have rhythm through the throw,” Earley said. “It is like an outfielder who sets himself up farther out, and works into it. He was so quick with his feet that he was choppy.
“He’s also got to make the routine plays. He missed way too many routine throws last season.”
While ISU’s depth at wide receiver is suspect, Hill said he has the talent to get the job done. “I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous at the beginning of the summer because our numbers already were low at wide receiver. But if Kelvin Krosch and Isaiah Burel are available every game, that’s enough right there. Those guys are solid.”
A wild card in the mix is Tavoy Moore, a 5-foot-7, 195-pound junior college transfer. Hill, a 5-foot-11, 205-pounder who has completed 60.5 percent of his passes for 4,947 yards in three seasons, is ready for some success.
“The belief is that if you work hard at something, you will get something out of it,” he said. “I can’t even count the number of hours I have put into this. I haven’t had success for all the time I have put into this and time is short.
“They say Brett Favre plays like a kid, but that’s hard to do when you’ve experienced so many down points. I do think I have learned to enjoy thing
“I have enjoyed the mentoring aspect of the position. Now I need to teach myself not to throw them to the other team.”
He believes his desire to turn around the program is shared by his teammates. “We have talent ... like we always do. But now I think we are fed up with how we have fared. There is no way we are going to let this happen this year.”
“I am excited for this year, but I am not going to blow smoke at anybody. We are going to improve and we are going to have a good year. I would be afraid to play us.”

Unless the coaches bring in some QB superstar that they have not told us about I think they will need all three QB's to travel. Hill, Morris and Davenport.

Russ has paid his dues and he is for sure a team player and that is not a question.

I saw that Morris was invited to the Elite 11 in California. Wow! That is a big deal!

I hope that our O-line has improved. It will make it a lot easier on our QB and our RB's.

Good article on Russ. One thing I have always admired about Hill--he has always been the kind of kid to hold himself accountable.

I make no secrets, Hill is one of my all time favorite QB's. He may not have the cannon or great numbers, but I just find myself pulling for this underdog.

I hope he comes out and proves his critics wrong this year--not sure if he can, but I hope he has a solid senior campaign.

Great post, Roar. Thanks! As a long-time Bengal follower, this gets me looking forward to the new season, instead of shopping for a casket. I, too, admire Russ Hill. There's no *looking back* in this young man. He looks to the future, works like hell, and says "Shame on you if you don't come along". Go, Bengals!

Latest posts

Back