• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Athletics Director Torre Chisholm Leaving Portland State

BobWoodshed

http://goviks.com/news/2014/8/27/athletics_0827140127.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Portland, Ore.) August 27, 2014 — Athletics Director Michael "Torre" Chisholm will be leaving PSU to pursue other career opportunities. Chisholm and administration are developing a plan to insure a smooth transition leading up to his last day, October 31.

"I've truly enjoyed my time at PSU," said Chisholm, "and I have been fortunate to work with outstanding staff and coaches. Together, we achieved unprecedented academic and athletic success for the University. I will always be a fan of the University and its athletics program, and I especially look forward to coming back for the opening of the Viking Pavilion."

Chisholm came to PSU in May 2007. His seven-plus years make him the Vikings longest tenured athletic director since moving to NCAA Division I. Under Chisholm's leadership, PSU has won 21 conference or conference tournament championships, including first-ever trips to the NCAA Tournament for men's and women's basketball. He led an overhaul of academic support services for student-athletes, leading to the best Graduation Success Rate and Academic Performance Ratings (APR) scores across the program, most recently exhibited by the men's basketball team being honored among the nation's top 10 percent in academics.

"I've been working closely with Torre since I arrived six years ago," said PSU President Wim Wiewel. "He's been a great partner and a strong student advocate. He will be missed, but I understand his desire to move closer to family, and we all wish him the best of luck."

PSU athletics has undergone significant capital improvements during Chisholm's tenure. He has overseen numerous facilities improvements including plans for the new Viking Pavilion, a 5,000 seat multi-purpose arena and student education building.

In order to realize these projects, Chisholm had to lead unprecedented growth in Athletic fundraising including the four largest gifts in program history of $5 million, $4 million, $2.5 million, and $2 million. Additionally, he has overseen a 60 percent growth in athletic scholarship support, facilitated in part by increased annual and special event fundraising.

"By leaving now, I can help facilitate a smooth transition for my successor, ensuring that the program continues to grow towards its full potential," stated Chisholm, "I am confident that I leave PSU Athletics a better program than when I arrived. There is great opportunity for the next AD."

I have absolutely zero inside information, but is he really saying "By leaving now, I can help facilitate a smooth transition for my successor, ensuring that they can be the one in charge when the football is finally cut and we are no longer part of the Big Sky because of it. We have always lacked funding, and now thanks to the school president, we are going to REALLY lack funding."

Maybe I'm way off base here, but the AD leaving months after funding is drastically cut, not sure what else I'm supposed to think.

Torre's leaving is timely. He's leaving prior to the inauguration of the Viking Pavilion, but he will be part of it when it happens. He has probably done everything good has been able to do within the challenging budget constraint. He's been here 7 years. Time for a cool change. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bKwRW0l-Qk

Let's be optimistic (it's been proved to be healthier for all concerned). I don't think he would depart unless he were assured there would be a successor who will enlarge his legacy, and not tear it down.

All the best, with our thanks. ;)

VikHoops said:
I have absolutely zero inside information, but is he really saying "By leaving now, I can help facilitate a smooth transition for my successor, ensuring that they can be the one in charge when the football is finally cut and we are no longer part of the Big Sky because of it. We have always lacked funding, and now thanks to the school president, we are going to REALLY lack funding."

Maybe I'm way off base here, but the AD leaving months after funding is drastically cut, not sure what else I'm supposed to think.

I think he's been looking to get out of here for a while. He was a finalist for the Cal Poly position in 2011, so this doesn't really surprise me. I could be wrong though. :-\

ManOfVision said:
Good riddance. He's a California guy who has been trying to get back there since the day he took the PSU job.

Perhaps I should point you to the similar thread on the football board when I say "be careful what you ask for."

Kind of strange that the athletic director announces he is leaving in less than a month and I haven't heard a single word about it since. Any word on who is being considered? Have interviews already happened? Will David Hersh find a way to appoint himself AD?

VikHoops said:
Kind of strange that the athletic director announces he is leaving in less than a month and I haven't heard a single word about it since. Any word on who is being considered? Have interviews already happened? Will David Hersh find a way to appoint himself AD?

How long did we go without a true AD before Chisholm got here? I'm not saying it is the wisest thing to do, but we have done it before. :|

Latest posts

Back