• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Athlon's Preseason FCS Poll

EWU vs ISU. All depends on the new QB. Montaña State, did they recruit a defense? Montana, have they got their Stitt together? CalPoly, for real and for how long? September will be very revealing.

Otis all we have to do is take care of our business. I've never cared about what someone else had only control what's in front of me. Just win baby

Agreed. Just noting some of the stumbling blocks between now and Frisco. I don't doubt this teams/staffs ability. Parity at the top of the BSC is a fact. If a team doesn't bring its" A-Game," reality will bite them in the ass. Happens every year. :nod:

The "NCAA FCS Coaches Polls" on January 12, 2015 did not have ISU in the top 25.

The "NCAA Sports Network" on January 12, 2015 ranked ISU at #25

The "NCAA FCS Simple Rating System" on January 12, 2015 ranked ISU at #19

The "NCAA FCS Sports Network" on May 13, 2015 ranked ISU at #13

Athlon Preseason Polls on May 26, 2015 ranked ISU #18

So if I'm reading your post correctly Up, you are asking why did ISU get snubbed from the playoffs last year? All about the $$$. We take a different route in the future so their politics can't over ride it. Go Bengals

I think the money angle is right, unfortunately for ISU. 12,000 max at Holt, 26,000 in Missoula, regularly, or 20,000 on Thanksgiving weekend, most from WAY OUT OF TOWN. Even the Bobcats can get a crowd of 17-18,000 for the primetime. ISU averaged 6-7,000 last season(as good as the team was), with about 250,000 people within an hour of Holt. Butt$ in $eat$. Where have the Bengal faithful gone? Check the cemeteries. Want to get in on the ground floor of the ISU rebirth, get your season tickets now.

As Jeff Tingey, who was involved in the selection process, noted last fall, ISU got left out for one basic reason: two D-II wins. Scheduling, unfortunately, will continue to be an impediment to getting into the playoffs, especially when you play two FBS teams a year (unlikely wins, although UNLV is beatable), and a D-II nonconference home game. Until the scheduling issues are resolved, it's going to continue to be very difficult for ISU to get into the playoffs unless they win the conference title.

Like Watergate always follow the money. To me I would not be thinking about the playoffs just beating Portland State. I hate big picture, I only care what's in front of us.

Wishing is all fine and well, but without winning wishing is worthless. I don't doubt the difficulty of getting decent FCS teams to come to Holt. Montana only recently crawled out of that mess. MSU is still scheduling pathetic DII teams. Success takes time, and builds on itself. Automatic Qualifier as conference champions is the only sure way to the playoffs. Got to take care of business.

The Filthy $$$ has got its hooks into it some way some how. What was the excuse back in early 2000's? We should gave gone then too. How come we are ranked so high now and not invited last year?

It's all good. There are ways around it. We kick ass we get there. We take care of one game at a time like Hollowell said.

It was all about the money skippy! ISU was ranked higher by the computer ranking system the NCAA incorporated to make the selection process more clear.

I don't know if I quite understand what is being argued here.

Are some suggesting it's all about money that ISU didn't make the playoffs because it couldn't buy itself in?

Or are they suggesting it's about the money - or lack of it - that kept ISU out of the playoffs, because the Bengals are in a position where they can't afford to bring in an FCS opponent in place of a D2 (and have to play 2 FBS as well)?

Yes we are saying it's about the money. One gpost season does not change a lot. may have to adopt the old Fresno State anybody anywhere and just go play better games on the road.

letuknow said:
It was all about the money skippy! ISU was ranked higher by the computer ranking system the NCAA incorporated to make the selection process more clear.
Doesn't matter. The committee has said repeatedly -- and said again last year -- you've got to have 7 D-1 wins (in - 12-game season) or no playoffs. It will take at least six this year. As long as you're playing two money games and a d-2 every year, that means your're pretty much going to have to 7-1 in league to get an at large.

Winning the conference comes first, aka taking care of business. Consistently accomplishing THAT will pave the way for down years in the future. Having one good year warrants a glance, 3 - 5 a notice, 5 - 10 an expectation. Example: Montana, and before that Idaho, Boise State, and Nevada. Think ISU got screwed last year? They did. So did other teams. The longest journey begins with the first step. Patience. ISU has been digging its own hole for 30+ years. The digging has apparently stopped with Kramer. :thumb:

Southern Utah has the smallest budget in the Big Sky but made the FCS playoffs for the first and only time just over a year ago, 2013. They averaged 4,300 fans a game. They didn't win the conference title, finished 8-4, and 7 of those wins were against D1 opponents.

Win and you're in.

One of those seven D-1 wins for Southern Utah was against a FBS opponent in the University of South Alabama otherwise the Thunderbirds would have not been in the playoffs.

Latest posts

Back