• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

B-Ball Sched

biobengal

I posted several weeks ago about how bad Z's schedule has been... has anyone checked out O'Brien's schedule? Far worse, unbelievably worse. This is probably one of the worst schedules ISU has ever played. 13 non-conference games, just 4 at home... no BSC team has fewer. The four at home: BSU (we alternate home-home), CSU Bakersfield (first year in D1), UC-Colorado Springs (D2 ?), and Montana Tech (NAIA).

IMO, there is only one way to increase the number of home games, expand the BSC, add Denver and Seattle to the fold... thereby increasing the number of home games by two. :lol:

Looking at these schedules, I MUST ASK, is ISU as bad off financially as this looks? Worse than other BSC institutions? Are they using the money for contruction projects? What?

I know.. broken record.

Bio,

The budget for the basketball team is not that bad this year. O'Brien's schedules are always this tough. But there will be some surprises this year I think. Teams can not sleep on this team or they will walk away with a loss.

based on the FY10 athletic budget, they (athletics) projected revenue from game guarantees in the neighborhood of $1.2M out of a total athletics revenue budget of $5.0M. If FB brought in brought in close to $800K - $900K for the ASU and OU games, then MBB is projected to bring in guarantees of $300-$400K (this is assuming WBB and other sports do not bring in game guarantee $$).

How much $$ MBB and FB get from the game guarantees is determined (in my opinion) by the AD and/or under the direction of central administration. Like I said before, my guess is that Coach OB and Z probably think they don't get enough of the guarantee $$ to fund their budget lines (i.e. recruiting, travel, etc.), yet the AD-Administration-Fiscal Officers probably say the MBB and FB budgets get enough to make sure the overall athletic budget operates in the black or a net close to zero as possible.

When you look at the multiple cuts across some of the athletic teams (WBB lost a 3rd assistant and replaced that line with a Grad Asst level even though the same person was retained; MBB lost Mike Brown's position (I think) yet Coach OB still has the killer OOC schedule this year; I don't know where FB made cuts, most likely in recruiting and team travel expense). Please correct me if I'm inaccurate in my assessment, but that is what and how I interpreted the FY10 budgets.

Bengals will very likely be 2-7 before they see the inside of Holt Arena. That is the reality of the scheduling situation. Because Idaho State can't afford to pay to bring in D-1 teams, they have to cut deals to get non-conference games. Part of the deal to get BYU, Utah and Utah State in Pocatello last year was playing those teams twice at their place. We are paying off the back end of that deal this year.

The other way to get D-1 teams to visit Pocatello is through one-for-one tradeouts. That's the deal we have with BSU (and used to have with Idaho). Coach O'Brien told me he's going to bring in about $380 K in guarantees this year.

BTW, if you're interested in the budgeting for the ISU programs, go to the State Board web site. Every June, all three state schools submit their projected budgets for their athletic programs for that fiscal year. According to the data submitted by ISU, projected budgets for this year are: football: $1.922 million (up from $1.817 in 08); men's basketball: $825,551, up from $764, 289; and women's basketball: $628,221, up from $594,512.

Because I don't know everything that goes into these numbers, it's hard to draw any conclusions from them. For example, the cost of scholarships goes up every year as the state raises tuition. If scholarship costs are included in these budgets, it's entirely possible that the bottom line budget is higher, but the ability to do all the things you've done in the past (recruiting budget, travel budgets, etc.) may actually be less.

The reason for the schedule being the way it is is actually pretty simple...five money games on the road (Iowa State, Bradley, Oregon, USC, Notre Dame), and three returns on the back end of contracts (BYU 2-for-1, no money this year; Utah 2-for-1, no money this year; and Utah State, return of home-and-home).

That's eight games right there...Joe scheduled to new two-year home and homes, one starting here (Bakersfield) and one starting there (UMKC) which will flip next year. That leaves three games left, all at home. BSU is here to end that contract, and then two non-Division Is, which honestly they have earned with those other road games.

Next year will probably be 4 or 5 road money games, BSU will possibly be home and home in the same year, we flip-flop UMKC and Bakersfield, two home non-Division Is to balance out the five money games, and well, that's 12....just one left, maybe two...maybe if you can get another Division I here to start to only play one non-Division I. Bakersfield has been Division I for a couple of years, but no one should whine about the home schedule....everyone had BYU, Utah State, Idaho, and Utah here last year...there should be no complaints this year, especially since Utah and Utah State didn't even draw 3,000 ...

isusid said:
there should be no complaints this year, especially since Utah and Utah State didn't even draw 3,000 ...

I'm sorry, but that's rubbish. ISU was 1-5 when they played Utah and 2-7 when they played Utah State.... so, I guess you could say attendance was low mostly due to the difficult schedule.

If and when ISU can afford it, home-away contacts with UVU, Idaho, and SUU should be the norm.

biobengal said:
If and when ISU can afford it, home-away contacts with UVU, Idaho, and SUU should be the norm.

In addition to the teams bio mentioned for home-and-homes, I think it is reasonable to consider Denver U., Seattle U., and U. of Portland. Geographically, it makes sense to play these schools. I understand the budget thing is a factor, but at hopefully these and other regional schools are on the radar for future MBB schedules.

UVU won't happen due to Dick Hunsaker not wanting to schedule us...Idaho is also off for now due to the travel and the fact that Joe's former assistant is on that staff, and he prefers to not have to face off against ex-staff members. Those schools of which you speak of are in deed somewhere on the radar...don't know if they will happen, but on the radar they are, along with trying to get close to some hometowns of guys.

ISUSID

Latest posts

Back