• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Bengal Women have second Big Sky POW

Skycap

Kaela Oakes followed up Chelsea Pickering last week and gave the Lady Bengals two straight Big Sky Players of the Week. Congrats to Kaela Oakes for earning UTEP Tournament MVP with career scoring highs in both games and being selected to the All Tourney team with Pickering. With UTEP and Arkansas both in the Tournament, the level of play was high and ISU should be proud of what these ladies accomplished.

This Bengal squad represented the school extremely well on their Texas road trip. They are young and under-sized, but quick and scrappy and held their own against Texas, Texas Tech and UTEP while winning two against Texas State and the tourney consolation contest against High Point (NC). They have 5 starters who can be can be leading scorers on any night and will be a team that should compete well in conference if they stay injury free.

So let's give the ladies some support. Some positive stuff happening here. :D

A good post that I agree with totally. However, please note that it's ISU Athletics policy that women's athletics teams at ISU are NEVER to be referred to as "Lady Bengals". They are always referred to as "Bengals". Thanks for a great post.

This will be a fun team to watch. I think they'll do pretty darn good in conference play.

Get your butts to women's games and be loud!

VOTB,

Why such adamant aversion to "Lady Bengals"? Is it due to a concern that it is offensive or politically incorrect, a requirement by NCAA, or other reasons? I am not trying to re-open a debate that may have already occurred at one time, just curious. Personally, I find the label tactfully distinguishing and endearing even.

Irwin...all I can tell you is that it's an Athletic Department policy that has been in effect for decades. I remember back in the 80's we had a women's/men's doubleheader at Holt Arena...and the women's coach at the time (Beth Bricker) was on our pre-game show for an interview. I called the team the "Lady Bengals", and after the interview during a break...she told me in no uncertain terms that they were NOT Lady Bengals, but the ISU Bengals, the women's version. The policy is printed in media guides, etc. I know some other schools (i.e., Montana, Tennesee) use the moniker "Lady", but it's not done at ISU. I certainly hope what I wrote didn't have any vituperative overtones...I was just repeating policy.

The theory is, and one I agree with, is that there is no such thing as a Lady Bengal. You either are a Bengal or something else. It does lead to some confusion, but even at New Mexico we are all Lobos, not Lobos and Lady Lobos.

At Augusta State if there were both genders of a sport (tennis, basketball) it was Jaguars and Lady Jaguars, but in something like softball, it was just Jaguars.

Each school is different.

Frank

Call me crazy but it seems like "Lady Bengals" has a much better ring to it than "ISU Bengals - the women's version". Anyways this is just a fan forum, so who cares. Not like I called them the Bengal Bimbos or something offensive. Or is calling a women "a lady" offensive these days? I can't keep track of that PC stuff.

The reason why WE don't use Lady Bengals is because they are not ladies. They are crazy supersoldiers hellbent on crushing the souls of opposing teams, and they love what they do. Ladies sit, drink tea, learn philosophies and entertain the gentlemen who treat them right.

Bengals are savage creatures, the icon of fury incarnate, who rip opponents to shreds and then spit on said pieces of dismembered opponents. Which is what women's basketball has done.

Carry on gents :)

This whole thread is colossally retarded...

Lady Bengals
Bengal Women
Female Bengals

Call it what you want...this board isn't run by ISU's Athletic Department.

And FYI: A female bengal tiger, like the other five tiger subspecies, is a tigress.

Now let's get back to the purpose of this thread, which was to honor Kaela Oakes and Chelsea Pickering for their outstanding performances.

Skycap said:
Kaela Oakes followed up Chelsea Pickering last week and gave the Lady Bengals two straight Big Sky Players of the Week. Congrats to Kaela Oakes for earning UTEP Tournament MVP with career scoring highs in both games and being selected to the All Tourney team with Pickering. With UTEP and Arkansas both in the Tournament, the level of play was high and ISU should be proud of what these ladies accomplished.

This Bengal squad represented the school extremely well on their Texas road trip. They are young and under-sized, but quick and scrappy and held their own against Texas, Texas Tech and UTEP while winning two against Texas State and the tourney consolation contest against High Point (NC). They have 5 starters who can be can be leading scorers on any night and will be a team that should compete well in conference if they stay injury free.

So let's give the ladies some support. Some positive stuff happening here. :D

Latest posts

Back