• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Big Sky Announces New TV Deal with Root

Skippy

SEATTLE, WA (January 17, 2012) – DIRECTV Sports Networks and the Big Sky Conference have entered into a five-year agreement making DIRECTV Sports Networks and its ROOT SPORTS branded regional sports networks the league’s official TV partner and the home of Big Sky football and basketball. Financial details of the agreement were not disclosed.

DIRECTV Sports Networks owns and operates three regional sports networks branded as ROOT SPORTS™. The three ROOT SPORTS networks reach more than 8.7 million viewers across 18 states, including Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, Utah and Colorado in the Big Sky Conference footprint. Big Sky Conference games will be distributed primarily to the Northwest and Rocky Mountain ROOT SPORTS networks, which are carried by all major distributors in those territories, including Comcast, DIRECTV, DISH Network, Cablevision and many others. In addition, as the national television rights holder for Big Sky athletics, DIRECTV Sports Networks will have the ability to distribute Big Sky games both regionally and nationally.

DIRECTV Sports Networks will produce and televise up to 18 Big Sky Conference football games each season, including the annual Montana-Montana State rivalry game, beginning with the 2012 football season. Under the agreement, it may also broadcast up to 12 regular season conference basketball games as well as Big Sky quarterfinal and semifinal conference men’s basketball tournament games. All events will be produced and distributed in High Definition with new state-of-the-art graphics elements customized for the Big Sky Conference and its teams.

Our agreement with DIRECTV Sports Networks and ROOT SPORTS solidifies our position as a major player in Division I football in the western United States,’’ said Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton. “This is a landmark deal for the Big Sky Conference, as it will increase our exposure regionally and nationally in football and basketball. We are very excited to begin this partnership with DIRECTV Sports Networks. We know our fans will appreciate the high production values, which will be second-to-none.’’

“We are proud to partner with the Big Sky Conference,” said Patrick Crumb, President of DIRECTV Sports Networks. “Our distributors and viewers in the Northwest and Rocky Mountain regions have consistently requested Big Sky match-ups and we are excited to bring these rivalries to a broader audience.”

About DIRECTV Sports Networks:
Seattle-based DIRECTV Sports Networks is a wholly owned subsidiary of DIRECTV and operates three regional sports networks branded as ROOT SPORTS™. The three networks (based in Bellevue WA, Denver CO, and Pittsburgh, PA) are distributed in 18 states and hold exclusive regional telecast rights to over two dozen professional and collegiate teams, including the Seattle Mariners, Colorado Rockies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, Utah Jazz, Seattle Sounders FC, Portland Timbers, University of Washington, Washington State University, Oregon State University and Gonzaga University. The ROOT SPORTS networks also distribute Big 12, Pac-12, Conference USA and other collegiate football and basketball games.

About the Big Sky Conference
The Big Sky Conference will celebrate its 50th season in 2013-14, and currently consists of nine schools in eight states (Eastern Washington University, Idaho State University, The University of Montana, Montana State University, Northern Arizona University, the University of Northern Colorado, Sacramento State, Portland State University and Weber State University). On July 1, 2012, Southern Utah University and the University of North Dakota are scheduled to join as full members, and Cal Poly and UC Davis will join as football affiliate members.

The Big Sky Conference is one of the premier leagues at the Division I Football Championship Subdivision Level. It advanced teams to the Division I National Championship three straight seasons from 2008-2010. Eastern Washington won the national championship in 2010. This season, Montana advanced to the semifinals and finished third in the final poll. Montana State advanced to the quarterfinals and finished seventh in the final poll.

Multiple Big Sky Conference teams have qualified for the FCS postseason thirteen consecutive seasons. In recent seasons, league teams have upset squads from the Big 12 and Pac 12 Conferences, including Sacramento State’s stunning overtime win over Oregon State earlier this season. The Big Sky is also home to the nation’s top scorer in Division I basketball, Weber State’s Damian Lillard.

No mention of Big Sky TV.... this would be the most important thing for me living far away from Idaho with no potential access to Roots Sports.

biobengal said:
No mention of Big Sky TV.... this would be the most important thing for me living far away from Idaho with no potential access to Roots Sports.

Big Sky TV will continue for all games EXCEPT those picked up by Root.

http://bigskyconference.blogspot.com/2012/01/answers-to-tv-questions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We need to get all of ISU football games broadcast on local TV. ISU has to get more exposure to south east Idaho and to the Boise area. ISU needs to talk to kpvi or any of the other local tv stations and try to get the games broadcast. If ISU could get the games broadcast it would help with exposure and would help with support of the team. I would also like to see the spring ball game broadcast to all of south east Idaho.

BengalSapper said:
We need to get all of ISU football games broadcast on local TV. ISU has to get more exposure to south east Idaho and to the Boise area. ISU needs to talk to kpvi or any of the other local tv stations and try to get the games broadcast. If ISU could get the games broadcast it would help with exposure and would help with support of the team. I would also like to see the spring ball game broadcast to all of south east Idaho.

It's all about money, Sapper. It's very expensive to put on a television production, and a station has to believe it will recoup that money through ad sales. And, TV stations are often reluctant to "compete with themselves," which results when an advertiser merely moves their money from one show or time slot to another -- which often happens when you create a new product in a small market.

Finally, from an ISU perspective, the university wants to fill seats FIRST -- and offering free live television often works against that goal. Once you're filling the house every game, like the two Montanas, then local television makes a lot more sense.

buts in seats is accomplished by winning. Fans and potential recruits will watch the game win or lose. I am hearing a lot of excuses of why ISU cant. People are not coming to the games as it is so the attendance is not a valid argument. And I know that the season average was up but it was not that great. I don't care if they put the bigsky feed on public access it will only help attendance. If people in Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and Sun Valley can watch the game they might get interested enough to come to Pocatello and attend a game. Thats called trying to expand your marketing and fan base. I don't care if you broadcast the big sky feed on public access so people can watch it as they flip channels between other games. My father is a prime example for health reasons he will never go to a game at the dome. He would watch every game if it was on TV in front of his recliner instead of at his desk in front of the computer. This is possible and I don't think it would take that much money to make it happen. It will take someone not taking no for an answer and getting things done.

We have looked at the possibility of broadcasting ISU football games before and Skippy is right about ISU’s desire to fill the seats first. At least that’s been their concern in the past. I can tell you that KPVI is committed to bringing the best ISU coverage to this market and that includes broadcasting the games if and when we can get the numbers to work for us and ISU. Keep in mind, we broadcasted an ISU women’s game live from the NCAA tournament not that long ago. You’ve probably seen many of us at the games as our staff bleeds orange and black. Trust me, we want ISU to succeed as much as anybody.

I think the ISU - Stanford game was televised by ESPN (watched it at a friend's house that day). Are you talking about the ISU - Vanderbilt NCAA game from March of 2001?

Those have been the only two times (so far ) the ISU women have made the NCAA tournament.

PBP

Yep, that was the one. We sent a crew to Nashville and broadcasted the game live from there. Dave Reichelt and Howard Gauthier called the game at Vanderbilt. Brad Shellgren was at the Stanford game and sent stuff back from our San Jose affiliate before and after the game. I want to say we sent someone to Ames for the WNIT game too. In 2003 and 2004 we had some serious talks with ISU about broadcasting all of the home football games and a handful of road games. We even talked about airing the Altitude broadcasts on our network but I think that was shut down because of a contract issue. We did, however, team up with them to air the Bengal Review on their network so that it could reach Bengal fans in their much larger television footprint. We are still very interested in airing the games. It’s something we discuss every year. I would not be surprised if we were able to work something out in the next couple of years. In the meantime, we’ll continue to pour our heart and soul into covering ISU athletics. Last night after the Sports Zone, Matt Gittins and I were discussing our plan for covering the football road games this year as the Bengals will have some very unique opportunities. I can’t wait for the football season to get here!

I think that ISU should try and get the spring ball game televised. Maybe we could get KPVI to help put it on. Even if ISU put it on public access try and get some coverage in Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and Sun Valley Areas. It could be a chance to get some excitement and advertising for next year. If we could get some advertising and make the spring game a big deal and get people in the stands if not have people can see it on TV. Most years people don't know about the game until it is already over. I am challenging the Athletic department and the fans to make this a big deal get out do some advertising, get some local business involved and get 1000 fans in the stands for the spring game. (I will go hand out flyers if I have to) Also I have already started work with a couple of friends and we are going to throw a game day party for the Air Force game and another one for the Nebraska game. (B.Y.O.B.) We have a local business that wants to help we are going to get some big projectors and sound system set up and watch the game. We would love to do this in the parking lot of the Dome get the band cheer leaders and make it a big deal. If we cant get any help out of ISU (I am expecting that I will not)we have a parking lot on Yellowstone that can hold a couple of hundred people. Anyone that would like hep let me know. This year the fans are going to have to take charge and make things happen. We need to make sure that ISU can get the Air force and Nebraska games televised. I am still convinced that ISU must televises games. I don't think that it would negatively effect attendance at the games. I think that ISU should try it and see. Does anyone know how much it would cost to put the game on public access, a unused channel on cable or to broadcast?

BengalSapper said:
I think that ISU should try and get the spring ball game televised. Maybe we could get KPVI to help put it on. Even if ISU put it on public access try and get some coverage in Pocatello, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and Sun Valley Areas. It could be a chance to get some excitement and advertising for next year. If we could get some advertising and make the spring game a big deal and get people in the stands if not have people can see it on TV. Most years people don't know about the game until it is already over. I am challenging the Athletic department and the fans to make this a big deal get out do some advertising, get some local business involved and get 1000 fans in the stands for the spring game. (I will go hand out flyers if I have to) Also I have already started work with a couple of friends and we are going to throw a game day party for the Air Force game and another one for the Nebraska game. (B.Y.O.B.) We have a local business that wants to help we are going to get some big projectors and sound system set up and watch the game. We would love to do this in the parking lot of the Dome get the band cheer leaders and make it a big deal. If we cant get any help out of ISU (I am expecting that I will not)we have a parking lot on Yellowstone that can hold a couple of hundred people. Anyone that would like hep let me know. This year the fans are going to have to take charge and make things happen. We need to make sure that ISU can get the Air force and Nebraska games televised. I am still convinced that ISU must televises games. I don't think that it would negatively effect attendance at the games. I think that ISU should try it and see. Does anyone know how much it would cost to put the game on public access, a unused channel on cable or to broadcast?
I would love to help with the Air force and Nebraska tail gate parties! I hope we can get our community behind this and support!! Great idea! Cant wait!!!! :clap:

The biggest expense about trying to televise any ISU football games is the production cost for the truck, equipment and people from camermen to directors to 'gophers' (people hired to do a lot of the manuel set up work).

It's not cheap folks and generally you have to book the production truck well in advance since bigger schools and conferences generally have tied them up.

Not saying it can't be done but it's going to take a lot of planning and money to pull it off.

There's a reason only two Big Sky schools consistently televise their football games (Montana and Montana State), it's because they basically are the ones with the money on hand to do it. (North Dakota will be joining that group next season, they televise a lot of their games.)

PBP

Has the Nebraska game been confirmed yet? I plan to attend the Air Force game and make a vacation of it. Would love to make a trip to Nebraska to support the team.

The Nebraska game should be on Sept. 22, as that's Nebraska's TBD game on their schedule. I plan to be there as well with my brother-in-law and nephew, and my brother-in-law is a Nebraska grad and big fan of theirs.

Has anyone made the drive to Lincoln before? Is it something that you can do in a day? I'm trying to decide if I should fly or drive.

On a family trip across the US we drove from Boise to Kearney, NE (about 2 hours this side of Lincoln) and it took about 15-16 hours. Of course, that was in the summer...

I have been watching this blog for awhile. Some of the talk has had good thoughts, but the real problem is money.

As for putting games on Community Channels, that is something Cable One would have to be contacted, another technical problem would be getting the games in other cities since community channels are not inter-city channels.

In Tucson, we started to televise U of A football and basketball, and because we didn't have a sat feed it was on a delayed basis. How many viewers and fans would watch a delayed game of ISU? We sold TV spots to the local advertisers. It worked out very well and grew. So that might be the first step is to see if you could get an audience and advertisers.

As why can't we do this or that, there are rules that have to be followed that are governed by Big Sky and the NCAA about local TV station and live broadcasts. You all have been talking about it why don't you go to the source. I think some of you work with the programs or know the people to ask, like the SID, Marketing or go to the top and ask the AD, they would know the in's and out's of the television rules.

It would be fun to see ISU on tv in Eastern Idaho, I would like to think that the crew that we have now could do a good enough job. We would need to invest in some additional equipment for replay and maybe announcers ( I like Jerry as our announcer, don't get me wrong :thumb: ) but throw in cost wise we would need some dedicated to the Tv productions. We have a graphics program that is used by most tv productions for football and basketball ( not Fox or network stuff ).

The two biggest thing blocking live tv coverage of ISU is butts in the seats and who wants to pay the price.

My thoughts on the subject. In pasting I ask the chief at KISU about using an sub channel on channel 10 he said it would cost 10,000 to 25,000 dollars to get the equipment, his other suggestions was to go talk to channel 15.

Go Bengals !!!!!

JK

I am no expert on the subject, but as a member of the conference, shouldn't a television deal bring some revenue to the member schools? I believe it should, even if the exposure is focused on schools other than ISU or Portland State, for example. Just curious.

On the surface, this appears to be exposure than the Mountain West's channel - the .mtn. Their lack of geographic exposure, poor broadcast personalities and the grainy video caused their demise.

Latest posts

Back