• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Big Sky Considers South Dakota for Football

SLCBengal

Mick Garry of the Argus Leader reports Big Sky expansion was discussed again this week...

The Big Sky Conference presidents met this week and one of the topics was the University of South Dakota.
Big Sky Conference commissioner Doug Fullerton, who could not be reached for comment Thursday, has stated publicly the goal of the Big Sky is to have two six-team divisions and has also said the conference athletic directors - but not necessarily the presidents - were very positive to the Dakotas' potential membership.

Read more: ArgusLeader.com: Big Sky to Consider Adding University of South Dakota Football

The Big Sky is interested in South Dakota (and possibly North Dakota and SUU) for all sports, according to Mick Garry of the Argus Leader...

At a retreat for Big Sky Conference college presidents last week, there were discussions of expansion that included specific conversations about USD and fellow Great West Football Conference members North Dakota and Southern Utah.

While no formal announcement concerning those discussions has come forth, Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton made it clear Monday that his league informed USD that it is open to Coyote sports programs joining its nine-member league.

"They need to look at their obligations and their situation," Fullerton said Monday night. "The ball is in their court now. They will have to get back to us and let us know where they feel like they are.

Read more: ArgusLeader.com: USD's Talks with Big Sky Gain Steam

Been hearing that Southern Utah has already accepted a full membership. Not verified, but hearing it nonetheless.

It will be interesting to see how all of this shakes out. After reading O'Day's email, I was convinced Montana was out the door. Inviting the Dakotas, especially for all sports, would also indicate the Big Sky is expecting the Montanas to leave. But....then I watched this recent interview with the new Montana president, and he talks a good deal about improving the existing conference. He also makes it clear that Montana isn't going anywhere without MSU. There are a lot of mixed signals out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBtowqxmPg&feature=player_embedded

...SUU President Michael Benson has indicated the scheduling of a "special announcement" in the Centrum Arena for Wednesday at 2PM (MT). He further states that it is an "announcement that will be pretty exciting for the SUU institution"...

Another interesting link re: the future of the Big Sky and FCS football:

Fullerton’s summary of last week’s presidents meeting had two facets: One, the focus was to envision the Big Sky in five years. Two, the league believes that FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) will play a major role in the future of college football.

“The presidents were able to spend some time together and talk about where they want to be in five years,” Fullerton said. “I’d say the presidents were very forward thinking in establishing the Big Sky as we move forward.

“There’s the thought that FCS will become more important as we move forward in the NCAA, because finances in all but the very top teams are looking unsustainable at the FBS level with costs inflating so quickly.”

Fullerton said he’s taking part in an NCAA meeting Wednesday in Indianapolis that centers on FCS’ role in the future.
“The top FBS schools are moving away from the bottom,” he said. “There’s such a disparity. With the inflation factors, can FBS sustain?

“Obviously, the Big Sky wants to be one of the major players (in the FCS). I was real pleased with the presidents’ vision.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/a ... /homepage/

It looks like the Southern Utah rumor is just a rumor at this point.

Travel cost, coaching cuts and reductions in scholarships just may end up being the norm for FCS schools. I think the FCS will always be around--but the BSC in my opinion is going to be way different very soon.

ISU should be fine, because they are already functioning like a bottom feeder in FCS football. Cuts, they can handle--building a solid program does not appear to be an important goal at all. I just don't see any commitment to it.

Cub, if you look at the spending profile of all the Big Sky schools except Montana, they are all pretty similar -- including Idaho State. Nearly every school in the league's athletic programs are heavily subsidized by state funds and/or student fees. Nobody is making any money off athletics. Costs continue to rise every year because the cost of scholarships continue to go up. If I took anything from O'Day's email, it was that EVERYBODY in the FCS is struggling financially, even Montana.

ISU's problems are its facilities are old, and it's very difficult and expensive to upgrade a domed stadium. And, for 25 years, there was no emphasis by the administration on raising the private funding to upgrade them. The one shot we had at making significant improvements wound up being diverted to the performing arts center -- and that's still going to suck up a lot of resources, because it's not paid off.

Given those handicaps, the fact that Jeff Tingey and crew have been able to get the new video board, upgrade the lockerrooms and the weight room, and get a new softball field going are commendable. Whether we'll be able to find the money to do the kind of major upgrades that MSU and NAU are doing right now remains problematic. But I'm glad Jeff and his staff are continuing to move forward -- getting the turf replaced is critical.

I understand that some very nice upgrades have been made. That is wonderful and I think we all appreciate it. The turf will be upgraded and that will be wonderful and appreciated as well.

But when it comes to upgrading facilities—like building a new one or fixing the old ones, I think ISU is about as far along as it has been for the last 30 years—nowhere.

You hear folks talk about how bad the recruiting budget, the coach’s salaries and facilities are at ISU all the time. Then you think of the future and you begin to realize that major improvements are not coming anytime soon. Is it an excuse to be a perennial bottom feeder or is it a reality?

I am confused, if ISU’s budget is on par with the rest of the league—why aren’t the results?

"I am confused, if ISU’s budget is on par with the rest of the league—why aren’t the results?"

That is the $25,000 question. Here are a bunch of answers:

1. No continuity in the athletic director's office. To raise money, you have to build relationships. You don't walk into the office of a potential donor and say, "Hi, I'm the latest in a long line of short-term ADs at ISU, and I'd like you to give me $5 M for a new arena." It takes years to get to know potential big money donors and build trust and a shared vision in order to get them to cough up cash. If you're constantly changing ADs, you're destroying relationships.

2. No continuity in coaching. Most people like to compare ISU with NAU -- very similar situations with regards to athletics. NAU has had the same football coach for 13 years now. They haven't been wildly successful, but they are usually competitive and they have made a few playoff runs. Again, you build recruiting relationships over time. McBride at Weber State has recruited players from Hawaii, Oklahoma and Colorado -- based on relationships he built over decades of recruiting at Utah and other places. You also build a "brand" for your program through continuity -- players and high school and junior college coaches know what you stand for, what kind of offense and defense you play, and how their players will fit into those systems.

3. Very difficult recruiting environment. I've told this story before, but it bears repeating. When I approached Mike Kramer about potentially coming to ISU back in the late 1990s when he was still at EWU, he said ISU was the one place in the Big Sky he would not consider because it doesn't have a natural recruiting base. Look at the two Montana schools -- a very large percentage of their recruits are in-state kids. Eastern Washington is 90 percent Washington kids. Weber gets a lot of Northern Utah kids. NAU has a lot of Arizona kids. But ISU has to share its best players with BSU, Idaho, Utah State, BYU, etc. And there are fewer of them in Idaho than more populous states like Washington, Arizona and Utah.

4. Lack of "big dollar donors." If you're going to do MAJOR upgrades of facilities, you have to have deep pocket donors available. ISU has very few major donors available to it. When the decision was made to pursue the performing arts center, that sucked about $30 M out of that small universe of potential donors -- and it's still not paid off. Folks wonder where the "Bengal Village" campaign went? Well, if you can't identify "lead gifts" of several million dollars to get the campaign off to a successful start, then you're really just holding an ongoing bake sale.

5. The "people" factor. You need good coaches, players and administrators, and the ability to recruit these is directly impacted by the above.

6. Finally, there is the legacy issue. ISU has had a few breakthrough years, but nothing sustained, particularly in football. Decades of bad performance leads to low expectations, diminished community support and huge difficulty in recruiting. It's a viscious cycle that is difficult to break for an extended period of time.

Is the budget at ISU an issue? Of course it is. The football team not flying charter anymore, for example, impacts recruiting. Having recruits fly into Salt Lake and bus up to Pocatello does as well. But if you look at the budgets of ISU and the other schools around the Big Sky (and I've spent a lot of time comparing them), they all look pretty much the same. Now, is it easier for Portland State, Sac or EWU to recruit when the majority of their recruits can DRIVE to their campuses or fly directly into a big city airport (PDX, Spokane, Sac) vs. flying into SLC and busing into Pocatello? Sure. But that goes back to the geography issue again.

No excuses, though. If you're going to have an athletic program you may as well run it right, and with success in mind. BSU has shown all the benefits that come with the huge success at that level. But it takes time and commitment to build a program and to overcome all of those things. Some schools have chosen to focus on other things and have been very successful. BYU-Idaho gave up athletics when it went to a four-year program because church leaders didn't want to make the multi-million dollar commitment it takes to be successful in athletics. That school continues to grow and thrive. Having an athletics program is NOT a requirement to be a successful institution of higher learning. But if you CHOOSE to have an athletics program, you should certainly exhibit the commitment to do it right.

One more thing: ISU is spending about all the state money it is allowed on athletics. You cannot spend state money on athletic facilities, and the State Board limits the amount of appropriated funds you can spend on athletic operations. The president might have a little leeway to spend a bit more on athletics, but not much, particularly in these times of deep budget cuts across the university. So STATE dollars are not going to solve ISU's athletic budget problems.

As my mom would say...it is time to shit or get off the pot.

I still think that from the results that the fans of Idaho State have been able to enjoy, the community of Pocatello is very supportive of Idaho State. I believe the BSC attendance figures illustrates that fact.

This is the kind of donation ISU could use. Emphasis on "supplementing recruiting budgets and coaching salaries."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50569509-77/football-weber-donation-program.html.csp

Latest posts

Back