• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Big Sky Officially Expands

votb

Big Sky Conference Adds

Cal Poly, UC Davis To Football Lineup

The Big Sky Conference is proud to announce that the University of California, Davis and Cal Poly have accepted invitations to join the league as affiliate members in the sport of football.

Invitations of affiliate membership were extended by Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton with approval of the Presidents’ Council and accepted by both universities late last week.

Cal Poly and UC Davis are both Football Championship Subdivision members that currently compete in the Great West Conference, but participate as members of the Division I Big West Conference for the majority of sports.

“The Big Sky is recognized as one of the top Football Championship Subdivision conferences in the nation,’’ Fullerton said. “The addition of two great institutions like Cal Poly and UC Davis gives us more depth to compete for additional playoff berths and enhances our profile throughout California. This is a great fit for both institutions and the Big Sky Conference. We are bringing in two strong western FCS programs. They will benefit from us in having access to an automatic playoff bid and a full slate of conference games.’’

“We worked in cooperation with Big West Conference Commissioner Dennis Farrell,’’ Fullerton added. “The Big West fully supports this effort, as it gives its two football-playing members a home.’’

A definite timeline has not been set for the programs to officially join the 48-year-old Division I Big Sky Conference, but an effort will be made to work the schools into a conference schedule as quickly as possible. Many Big Sky schools have limited openings in their 2011 schedules, as contracts with non-conference opponents have already been signed. Cal Poly and UC Davis must also comply with withdrawal procedures from the Great West Conference.

Fullerton said this is the first part of an expansion process, an exercise that could lead to a 12-team football conference that would split into two six-team divisions.

“We’re going to look at all options,’’ Fullerton said. “The landscape of college athletics has shifted even more this summer, and with the great diversity of funding and budgets at the Football Bowl Subdivision level, the role of the FCS may became even greater in the coming years. The FCS could become the home for many institutions. We feel like the additions of UC Davis and Cal Poly puts us in front of that momentum.’’

For both Cal Poly and UC Davis, aligning their football programs with the Big Sky offers the opportunity to compete in a conference with an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs, continue and renew natural rivalries, and to develop new rivalries by playing the same teams each year.

"This is an extremely exciting day for our football program and the institution," said Greg Warzecka, director of athletics at UC Davis. "Our fans will not only be able to watch some great teams come to Aggie Stadium, but they will have a much better opportunity to travel to road games."

“Our goal all along has been to find stability for our football program, and the Big Sky Conference gives us exactly what we needed,” said Cal Poly director of athletics Alison Cone. “The Big Sky Conference is one of the best FCS conferences in the country and offers great competition with teams that are natural rivals in our region.”

The proud football tradition at UC Davis dates back to 1915. The program, which became a full Division I FCS member in 2007, qualified for the Division II playoffs 18 times, and posted 37 consecutive winning seasons from 1970-2006. Notable former Aggies include Boise State coach Chris Petersen, former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, Colorado coach Dan Hawkins, former New York Jets quarterback Ken O’Brien and San Diego Chargers quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan.

UC Davis opened Aggie Stadium in 2007, a multi-purpose stadium with a current capacity of 10,849

Bob Biggs, an alumnus of UC Davis, is in his 18th season as the Aggies head coach. He has compiled a 130-67-1 record, and led his team to an upset of Pac-10 Stanford in 2005. Biggs sports a 12-8 record vs. Big Sky teams.

"We've played at least three Big Sky opponents every year since 2004 and look forward to strengthening those existing rivalries while building exciting new ones that fans will identify with,’’ said Warzeck. “The Big Sky is a great fit for us since it solidifies future football schedules while also providing direct access to the postseason through its conference automatic bid."

Former UC Davis head coach Jim Sochor (1970-88) is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.

Cal Poly’s football program began in 1915. The Mustangs claimed the 1980 Division II National Championship.

During the last decade, Cal Poly has emerged as a perennial top 25 FCS squad with multiple playoff appearances. The Mustangs advanced to the quarterfinals in 2005, winning at Montana in a first-round game. Cal Poly qualified for the 2008 playoffs, falling to Weber State in the first round at home.

“We’re able to continue our great rivalry with UC Davis and renew rivalries with other west region schools,” Cone said. “This move also allows our student-athletes a great opportunity to vie for a conference championship which provides an automatic berth into the NCAA playoffs. It also provides our fans a chance to see some of the best FCS schools in the country year in and year out.”

Since 2006, Cal Poly has beaten San Diego State of the Mountain West Conference twice and suffered a 36-35 overtime loss to Wisconsin of the Big Ten.

The Mustangs play at Alex G. Spanos Stadium, which holds 11,075. In 2006, the former Mustang Stadium underwent an $8 million renovation project. A $1 million videoboard/scoreboard debuted during the 2009 season.

Current Cal Poly head coach Tim Walsh is no stranger to the Big Sky. Walsh guided Big Sky member Portland State from 1993-2006, leading the Vikings during its transition to the Big Sky and the FCS level in 1996. Walsh’s 65 victories while coaching in the league rank sixth in Big Sky history.

Cal Poly defensive players (Jordan Beck, Chris Gocong and Kyle Shotwell) captured three consecutive Buck Buchanan Awards from 2004-06 The Buchanan is awarded to the top defensive player in FCS football each year by The Sports Network. Former Cal Poly standouts included New York Giants wide receiver Ramses Barden and Gocong, a linebacker for the Cleveland Browns.

Cal Poly will play Montana in San Luis Obispo this Saturday. UC Davis meets Portland State on Saturday. The Aggies also have games scheduled this season against Weber State and Causeway Classic rival, Sacramento State.

This is great news for the BSC providing the league doesn't lose other teams. Pick up Southern Utah next and things could get real interesting.

smart move, Cal-Davis is a major research/medical school university so that is a good thing in itself. Cal-Poly also has great academics so this is a coup and Cal Poly is a good sports school. Don't think the Montana schools will go, PSU probably will. The WAC is going to be a crap conference.

I think it is interesting how NOW the BSC invites Poly and Davis to the club. Why didn't we do it before now? Is it because the BSC is nervous that UM-Montana St-or Portland St might leave? Probably

This whole conference thing cracks me up. Especially the big conferences. Everyone is moving and shaking and BYU is going independent.

It is all about the $$$ and T.V. I hope is messes with the NCAA and BCS so bad that they don't know what to do. I think the NCAA is as corrupt as the BCS (my opinion) for letting all these certain schools get the big fat paychecks year after year after year. It is not fair and if the NCAA is all about fair then set the example but they won't cuz they have not back bone.

Call for a 20 team playoff in the 1-A and then you will earn some respect back.

Even if Montana or Portland left the Big Sky, which I seriously doubt, then Davis and Cal Poly would still be playing all sports except for FB, in the Big West. And the Big Sky would need schools to compete in all sports. Therefore, if we were really worried that they'd leave, then they probably just would have invited schools like North Dakota and So. Utah into the league, in which those two schools would compete in all sports. I think the possibility of PSU moving up to 1-A status is analogous to ISU trying something like that; it would be very difficult for them to do so. Inviting Cal-Davis and Cal Poly into the mix is a very welcome addition and will make the league that much stronger. BTW, I can't remember the last time ISU played Davis in FB -- is it because they refuse to play us in that sport?

I think that things look very bleak for the WAC right now, and only a miracle could save that league. I think that Utah State could be invited into the MWC very soon, and there could be a deal whereby UTEP could go into the WAC in exchange for La. Tech going to Conf. USA -- which would be a much better fit for them. UTEP competed in the old WAC for many, many years, along with Utah, BYU, Wyo, etc. If the MWC were to have 12 teams, then this would enable them the MWC to have a championship game, which brings in a lot more money.

NMSU's best bet would probably be to go back into the Sun Belt, and Texas State and UTSA would be smart to try to get into that league as well. Actually, UTSA hasn't even fielded a team yet and won't until next season, so they may wish to go ahead and compete at the 1-AA level for a few years before trying to compete at the 1-A level. Hawaii will probably go independent in football and join a California league for all other sports. And this would leave Idaho and San Jose State without a conference. Therefore, one of these teams, or both, would be a very welcome addition to the Big Sky, and I think we should wait for one or both of them to join, before offering So. Utah a bid.

I see a very bright future for the Big Sky and it will only get stronger. Whereas there's NO hope for the WAC!

Hmm, curious move. I'm not sure it helps the BSC long term; how does adding football only members the BSC long term, it's NCAA basketball money that the BSC needs to worry about. Besides, I liked the BSC as a all sports conference where a "true champion" is crowned in football.

Latest posts

Back