• Hi Guest,

We've updated the site to combine all the forums that were part of the Big Sky Fans Network into one location. This will make it easier to navigate and participate in all the discussions for each school without having to have multiple accounts, etc. We are still working out some tweaks but please let us know if you notice anything.

With the migration, in some circumstances, your username could have been merged with one of your other usernames from the other forums. If this is the case, you can request to change your username in your account details page of your profile.
  • Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!
  • Guest, do want an ad free experience on BigSkyFans.com among other benefits? Upgrade your account today!

Simply click your profile name > account upgrades > BigSky Club > choose between the year long subscription (two free months) or month to month

Thanks for the continued support. Cheers!

Big Sky Poll

Skippy

I submitted my ballot for the Big Sky men's basketball race today. Here's how I voted and why:

1. Weber State -- the Wildcats are going to have some growing pains without Berry and Tresnak, and they will be playing a lot of young kids. But Joel Bolomboy will be an early favorite for POY, Senglin, Gittens and Hill showed a lot of ability as freshmen, and the Big Sky championship race always seems to go through Ogden. Until proven otherwise....

2. Northern Arizona -- The Axers have four starters back from a team that won four of their last five last year, including a road win at Weber. Quinton Upshur is one of the most explosive players in the league, Kris Yanku impressed as a frosh, and Bewernick and Dixon are solid players.

3. Eastern Washington -- The Eagles should again be one of the most talented teams in the league, led by Tyler Harvey, the returning league scoring champion and a guy who has a chance to be the Big Sky's next NBA draft pick. Venky Jois is one of the top two or three bigs in the league, and Tyler Brandon had a 2-1 assist to TO ratio, while averaging 6.4 rebounds a game at guard. Under normal circumstances, given their talent and experience, I'd pick EWU to win the league. But coach Jim Hayford is just 40-54 in his time in Cheney, and Eastern just always seems to sink to mediocrity.

4. Northern Colorado -- the Bears lose a couple of really good players in Barden and Unruh, but they still have a lot of good shooters who contributed to a team that hit 49 percent of their shots last season. And nobody protects home court like UNC -- they were 13-3 there last season. Tim Huskisson and Tevin Svihovic will be the leaders this year.

5. Sac State -- This is another team I would have ranked higher, except history tells me not to. The Hornets really looked like they were ready to take the next step up last year, and then they lost four of their last five games of the season. They still have the best one-two guard line in the league in Mikh McKinney and Dylan Garrity, and that means a lot in a league that is so guard oriented. To me, the key to the Hornets taking a big leap, though, is the development of 6-11 Eric Stuteville, who showed flashes of greatness as a freshman. Throw in his brother, Mason, a 6-10 freshman this year, and the Hornets could have one of the few legitimately solid front lines in the league over the next 3 years.

6. Portland State -- I really like what the Vikings bring to the table -- they are the quintessential Big Sky team with three veteran guards returning (Douglas, Winston and Wiggins, all of whom averaged in double figures last year). They also have the usual collection of athletic junior college "tweeners" ready to step in and play anywhere from the 5 to the 2. PSU isn't going to over-power anybody, but they will be competitive just about every night in the Big Sky.

7. Montana -- Is this the year the Griz take a step backward? They have a new coach (Travis DeCuire), they lost the best all-around player in the league in Kareem Jamar, and they don't return any experienced bigs to a team that got hammered by over 5 rebounds a game last year. They do have a fine pair of guards in Mario Dunn and Jordan Gregory, and Washington transfer Martin Breunig, 6-8, brings some size to the program, but I'm expecting something of an adjustment period in Missoula.

8. Idaho State -- The Bengals return two of the best players in the league at their positions -- Chris Hansen, a great shooting guard, and Jeff Solarin, the best rebounder, inch-for-inch, at the power forward position. It's how they fill in the holes around them that will be critical. Can Ben Wilson score enough to keep his 6-6 frame and defensive presence on the floor at the point? Can newcomers like Andre Slavik and Marcus Bradley make the adjustment quickly enough to score points for a team that will likely be offensively challenged? And can the two freshmen PGs, Ian Fox and Geno Luzcando, make an immediate impact? I'm betting the answer to most of these questions will be positive, and that will be just enough to squeeze the Bengals into the post-season.

9. North Dakota -- Gone, for good and bad, is Troy Huff, the straw who stirred the no-names' drink with his flamboyant running, dunking and stealing. Gone, too, are three of UND's other four top scorers. Forward Jaron Nash, one of the more athletic players in the league, will have to lead the rebuilding effort for a team that allowed opponents to shoot 49 percent and to outrebound UND by 2.5 a game -- but that made up for a lot of those sins by creating a whopping 500 opponents turnovers. With Huff (79 steals) and Jamal Webb (57) gone, UND will have to either improve its overall defense, or find other ways to compensate.

10. Idaho -- The Vandals are a really interesting team. They return three players -- SG Connor Hill, PG Mike Scott and swing man Bira Seck, who started last year, but after that there are a lot of question marks. One of the biggest is can the large group of talented, but inexperienced young players on the Vandal roster (including six freshmen) make the transition quickly enough to contribute. One of those freshman is Jordan Scott, former high school teammate of Bengal Justin Smith, who was recruited by Idaho State at one point. There appears to be a good deal of talent on this roster, we'll see how it meshes.

11. Southern Utah -- One of the worst teams in Big Sky Conference history, the T-Birds finished 1-19 in league play last year and they were dominated in every statistical category. The good news -- and the bad, I suppose, is that the T-Birds return all five starters. Will they improve, or be displaced by enough better players, to be competitive in conference play this time around? Only time will tell, but I'm saying the law of averages is with them enough that they climb out of the cellar, leaving....

12. The Montana State Bobcats and new coach Brian Fish. The Cats return only two starters -- Marcus Colbert and Michael Dison, neither of whom averaged in double figures, and six other players who saw at least part-time action. They were outshot from the field, from three and outscored from the foul line, they were outrebounded and outscored on the season, and the only newcomers on the roster are true freshmen. So unless the mix of merely average players who populated the roster last year can make significant strides, it could be a long first season for Fish and the Bobcats.

Watch out for Eastern Washington! They are loaded!!! Kyle Reid is a big strong athletic kid they picked up from JC, he will make an impact. Ogden Milosovich(sp.?) is very solid as well. Funny they have 4 kids from Bishop Montgomery HS, all very solid! You already mentioned Tyler Harvey.
Great analysis in all Skippy. Thanks

Good analysis Skippy.

I think Idaho State will be better than 8. Maybe as high as 5. I think MSU, North Dakota & SUU are going to be bad. I am not sure that Montana has much of a chance this year either.

This is a guard league and a league that hits the trey. You need to hit from outside and be able to defend the perimeter. Who behind Hansen can hit the three with any consistency and what member of this team will be the slasher? I cannot identify (with the exception of Hansen from deep)those two components on this team. ISU will miss Sanchez a great deal at the point and I do not see a comparable replacement.

I have confidence in Coach Evans and I am sure that he will make it work. I just don't think recruiting worked out the way that he anticipated. I think he thought he had a few JC kids on board that ended up getting away very late in the process.

Evans is the man, love him to death but I think ISU might struggle more that we think this year. I will gladly eat crow when Idaho State makes the conference tournament this year. That is how I will measure success for the season, do they make the eight team invite? Time will tell.

bengalcub said:
This is a guard league and a league that hits the trey. You need to hit from outside and be able to defend the perimeter. Who behind Hansen can hit the three with any consistency and what member of this team will be the slasher? I cannot identify (with the exception of Hansen from deep)those two components on this team. ISU will miss Sanchez a great deal at the point and I do not see a comparable replacement.

I have confidence in Coach Evans and I am sure that he will make it work. I just don't think recruiting worked out the way that he anticipated. I think he thought he had a few JC kids on board that ended up getting away very late in the process.

Evans is the man, love him to death but I think ISU might struggle more that we think this year. I will gladly eat crow when Idaho State makes the conference tournament this year. That is how I will measure success for the season, do they make the eight team invite? Time will tell.
Good points Cub. The need for three point shooting (fox) and a slasher (Luzcando) are probably the principal reasons the two frosh guards are playing this year.

I think you are just about right on where Idaho will be this year. I do think Sanchez will be missed. I also think that maybe Erik is a strong shooter but the starting five I believe are pretty solid if it is Wilson, Hansen, Ezenwa, Solarin, and Magot. Lots of experience. Hall, Slavik, and Bradley I also think will be good contributors. Nakken, luzcando, and fox maybe a few minutes. I like the idea of red shirting Smith, Nicolds, and Topalovic. It seems most teams go about 8-9 deep, maybe 10 so I think we will be ok. Nicolds won't end up playing a big. my bet he'll end up a wing. Luzcando and fox can gain valuable experience this year and be better prepared as sophomores. Topalivic will get stronger and we'll have Slavic for 2 more years. I think we will be fine for the upcoming years. Need to see who gets recruited. I have complete faith in Evans that he will get his team even stronger in the next few years. It's a process and I'm excited with what I see

Latest posts

Back